• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How soon to apply for renewal?

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.6%
71   1   0
5-6 months early. No kidding, especially if your town schedules appointments weeks/months out from when you drop off the application and check. That is what my Wife and I did (different years) so that we could ensure that we'd get the new one before the current one expired.

aeromarine

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I received a notice from the Firearms Record Bureau that my license was about to expire about two months before the actual date. The card I received advised me to start the process with my local PD as soon as possible. When I went to the PD to get a renewal application I was told that they would not accept my completed renewal application any more than 30 days in advance of my permit's actual expiration date. When I tried politely to explain to the dispatcher that there were long delays processing applications at the CHSB in Chelsea so I would like to drop it off sooner, the young female dispatcher became extremely loud, nasty and abusive and said I could not because it was the FRB that had created the 30 day rule (something I believe is a BS bold face lie!). Based on her behaviour I told her that I had been a resident of the town for over 33 years and never had anyone in an official capacity been so rude, impolite and unhelpful to me as she had been. I thought about writing a letter to the chief complaining about her deficient interpersonal skills but decided it would not do me any good. I just hope she never become a sworn member of the force!

Anyway, I submitted my application exactly 30 days before the expiration date and had a perfunctory interview with the licensing officer about a week later. He told me the latest information from CHSB was that renewals were taking 8 to 12 weeks to process. I decided not to rock the boat by complaining about his department's ridiculous 30 day rule though I may still write a scathing letter once the new license is signed, sealed and delivered. I have had a LTC for 35 years on a continuous and uninterrupted basis without a single incident or problem. But they still make me feel like they are doing me a great favor by issuing me the license I have to pay $100 to receive. And they can't even do it in a timely manner. What a bunch of hacks!

Last edited:

pthomas65

NES Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
My LTC expires this month. Filed the app April 1, got my appointment May 1. My PD told me not to expect my LTC until mid to late August.

aeromarine

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
During my renewal "interview" the administrative sergeant who handles these matters had me sit while he ran what he said were MIRCs checks on me. He seemed to be in and out of a lot of different systems over about a 10 minute period but, unfortunately, I was not able to see the computer screen to see exactly what he was doing. However, I suppose he was actually checking Bureau of Probation, RMV, NCIC, etc., so our PD definitely does background checks. I have had non resident licenses from every New England state from Connecticut to Maine since 1975 and I listed all of them on my application. But each time the officer saw an inquiry from another states he assumed it was for me doing something bad and he would say, "Have you ever been in trouble in Rhode Island? They recently checked your record." Each time I would say, "No and that it must have had something to do with my last non resident license renewal."

What I used to think was very telling about the State of Massachusetts and its concern about regulating firearms and the risk they pose was the rinky dink paper licenses they used to issue up until about 2005. Clearly, the did not care all that much when they issued licenses that could be copied easily copied and forged using a Xerox machine. And all this fuss about law abiding citizen owning guns.... all the different hoops you have to jump through, the safety locks, the rules and regs, etc. It's just so ridiculous and does little if anything to prevent crime or promote safety. If you don't believe me just go across the border to Vermont where there are absolutely no gun laws to speak and, yet, gun crime is not a problem. It's much ado about nothing! Expensive nonsense that can get you really jammed up and turned into a criminal for making an honest mistake by not following one of their ineffectual rules that says something is "bad" just because they said it is bad.

Last edited:

FrugalFannie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Spoke with my state senator's (Donoghue) office. From them: the number of BG checks has dramatically increased in the last year (duh). They only have 2 people who run the checks currently for LTC. I would guess too that these two people have quite a bit of vacation time as I have called in the past only to find out that one or the other was out for the week. The SP are going to hire some temps (presumably). No indication as to how quickly or how many. I vented my frustration and let them know that since we pay for the application process I felt they should have hired people way ahead of time if they are going to continue this lunatic system of renewals and licensing.

We shall see. I am not holding my breath.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke with my state senator's (Donoghue) office. From them: the number of BG checks has dramatically increased in the last year (duh). They only have 2 people who run the checks currently for LTC. I would guess too that these two people have quite a bit of vacation time as I have called in the past only to find out that one or the other was out for the week. The SP are going to hire some temps (presumably). No indication as to how quickly or how many. I vented my frustration and let them know that since we pay for the application process I felt they should have hired people way ahead of time if they are going to continue this lunatic system of renewals and licensing.

We shall see. I am not holding my breath.
The number of print requests that MSP has been handling went from 45000 to 90000 per month in January...they do more then just Firearms too, another part of the problem

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you renew early, does your license efective date move up to the date you renewed or the date your old license expires? The reason I ask is that my next renewal is due on my 70th birthday. The renewal fee is free at 70. If the renewal shows the date I applied I would have to pay.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.6%
71   1   0
If you renew early, does your license efective date move up to the date you renewed or the date your old license expires? The reason I ask is that my next renewal is due on my 70th birthday. The renewal fee is free at 70. If the renewal shows the date I applied I would have to pay.

The easiest way to answer this is that MIRCS will NOT allow you to have 2 valid LTC-As at the same time. Therefore, the renewal MUST start on your nearest birthday when your current one expires. Many LOs and chiefs have no idea how things work and will tell you otherwise . . . my source was the guy that ran FRB!

Also some PDs will insist that since you file early or the renewal starts ON your 70th birthday that you still have to pay. That is also rubbish, but only a fraction of all PDs subscribe to Glidden's LE eList where they can ask these questions and can learn the proper way to do their jobs. Jason Guida also used to offer seminars/training to PDs on how to process license applications with the MIRCS system . . . I wonder what percentage of PDs bothered to attend?

I'm going to be in the same boat as you on my next renewal. If I'm still in MA (I hope not), we should have a different chief by then and I'll deal with it when the time comes! If I'm lucky enough to be filing for a NR LTC by then, there are no breaks, you pay $100/year no matter how old you are (already checked this out with Jason a few years ago)! [I would still have the need as an NRA Instructor and Life Member of Mansfield F&G, my plan would be to continue teaching those courses in MA as long as I can.]

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hey guys, my dad just went to renew (his expires in October). They informed him the earliest he could renew is 6 weeks out. Is this total BS? Any documentation on this? This would be guaranteeing an expired license due to the renewal times!

Billsail

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hey guys, my dad just went to renew (his expires in October). They informed him the earliest he could renew is 6 weeks out. Is this total BS? Any documentation on this? This would be guaranteeing an expired license due to the renewal times!

BS Just another way to make a criminal out of a law abiding citizen, if he doesn't receive it before the end of the 90 day grace period. Until then he won't be able to purchase guns or ammo. Or sell a gun for that matter. He most likely will get it before time runs out but IMO it's a subtle form of abuse that some PDs use. A little more "punishment" for the evil gun owner. These policies are set by the LO or chief. I don't believe there are any written guidelines in regard to this, and if there is, they are merely guidelines. I heard 30 days mentioned recently by someone on the forum. No reason for it, just what they choose to do.

Edit: Not too long ago, that was plenty of time to get it all done. Maybe some departments haven't yet adjusted to todays' reality.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
31   0   0

BS Just another way to make a criminal out of a law abiding citizen, if he doesn't receive it before the end of the 90 day grace period. Until then he won't be able to purchase guns or ammo. Or sell a gun for that matter. He most likely will get it before time runs out but IMO it's a subtle form of abuse that some PDs use. A little more "punishment" for the evil gun owner. These policies are set by the LO or chief. I don't believe there are any written guidelines in regard to this, and if there is, they are merely guidelines. I heard 30 days mentioned recently by someone on the forum. No reason for it, just what they choose to do.

And don't argue, because then you would just be "unsuitable"....[rolleyes][puke]

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.6%
71   1   0

See post #7.

My case was ~2 years ago. I submitted paperwork 4 months early and received it 2 months prior to expiration.

My Wife's case (this year). I submitted her paperwork SIX MONTHS EARLY and she received her renewed LTC 2 months prior to expiration.

Jason Guida when he was FRB Director also told me that the FRB will accept applications quite early (I forget if he told me 6 months or 1 year early).

PDs love to play games to screw LTC-holders!!

Top Bottom