How soon after receiving NFA stamp must you engrave?

Reptile

NES Member
I'm thinking of getting some stamps for some lowers.
I want to store them away for like 5 - 10 years, so I'm in no rush to finish the builds.
Is there a law that says I have to get them engraved right away?

Not to my knowledge - just before they are put in SBR configuration.
Good.

I just want to have the stamps and not make the drive and effort for engraving because it might be years before I ever get around to build it up - if ever.

I figure by the time I turn 80, I might not have much interest.

Also, I have no need for another AR.

By the time I do, some of my LPK parts might be outdated.

In the mean time, might want to store these in a safe place to prevent theft.

It is my understanding that you submit an application to ATF for the rifle you PLAN to build. I am not aware of any timeframe for the build.

Good.

I just want to have the stamps and not make the drive and effort for engraving because it might be years before I ever get around to build it up - if ever.

I figure by the time I turn 80, I might not have much interest.

Also, I have no need for another AR.

By the time I do, some of my LPK parts might be outdated.

In the mean time, might want to store these in a safe place to prevent theft.
Why spend $200/lower and not the $35 to have them engraved?
That way they're ready to go when you want to build, whether in 2 months of 20 years?

Why spend $200/lower and not the $35 to have them engraved?
That way they're ready to go when you want to build, whether in 2 months of 20 years?
It's such a big production.

I have to drive across the state to Jacks.
It's an all day affair.
I don't want to go anywhere else because of how great a job they did.

But you are right, I should make the time to do it.

I have everything ready. Prints, etc.

I might wait until if Trump loses the election and then register a bunch.

In the mean time, I'm waiting for Noveske Gen 4 lowers to come out in the next 12 months to make a .22 SBR. I might be in for a long wait.

I might also want to get a stamp for a SBR, not engrave it, and then deregister it - in order to sell it for a fair price since it's pre Healey.

I might want to bury it in the back 40 for safekeeping, also. Just in case my house burns down. Not sure if a lower receiver can survive a fire.

I would 'complete' them if you bother to get the stamps. Whatever would be beyond your control (like engraving) you should have done. The risk of taking away something you already have is slim to none. The risk that new / additional SBR's stop or require more red tape is within the realm of possibility. Yes, you will have the stamps and the lowers but what if changing circumstances made it difficult to find someone to engrave?

Did my engraving at JC Arms today in Rockland. Fast and easy ($60) while I waited and shot the shit. Joe is a good guy too. He would definitely get my business in the future.

Back
Top Bottom