How should I build a rifle from a DPMS .308 lower?

With the return of Democrats to the executive branches of Massachusetts and federal government, I’ve decided to buy a couple guns that might not be available in a few months. I recently bought a WASR to use as a fun gun and as a SHTF rifle. While I like the idea of an AR, I’m not crazy about the 5.56 x 45 caliber, and I’d prefer to only have to stock up on 7.62 x 39 instead of that plus 5.56 x 45.

So I’ve decided to bypass 5.56 NATO and build a AR type rifle chambered in .308 Winchester. I’ve done a little reading and looking into the DPMS LR308, as well as the AR-10. What’s the real difference between these rifles anyway?

I’ve asked my FFL (Jack at Collector’s Gallery) to order me a DPMS stripped lower in .308. I intend to use that as a clean sheet from which to build a gun that can be used for hunting, target shooting, possibly competition, as well as to supplement my WASR in a SHTF scenario. I’d like to build something that can be accurate out to 500 meters, which means I’ll be putting some kind of optics on it. I see no need for night vision at this time, but I haven’t even begun to research optics. I don’t have an unlimited budget, but I don’t mind paying for good quality. I can acquire parts as needed, and possibly upgrade components, such as optics, later on. I’m not sure which parts of the rifle merit spending for top-quality parts and which don’t. For example, it seems to me that I’d want a very good trigger assembly, but I think a modest stock would be fine. I’m thinking the barrel should be stainless but I’m not sure how long it should be (20"? 24"?) or how much twist it needs. The rifle and optics should be rugged and capable of taking a fair amount of abuse out in the field.

Based on the requirements I’ve outlined, how would you recommend I build the rifle I’m looking for? What would the approximate cost be? If it’s not too much trouble, I’d also like specific recommendations on vendors, model numbers, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

rifle build

From all the research I've done into a similar project, I would have to say I see no advantage in building from a receiver. I have a longrange 308purchased 3 years ago from collectors.I don't believe you can even come close to building a 308 at a price comparable from what you can buy from them already assembled. Even if you could, consider the fact that any problem you have is your own as you won't have a warranty.
If I had my purchase to do over, I would buy the !8" bull barrel model. I can tell you from my own experience that the 24" model is way way too nose heavy to hold in the off hand shooting. I put a lead wedge in the buttstock and then 2 lbs more taped on the outside end of the butt to make mine balance at the magazine well. This puts the rifle weight up to 18 lbs + with iron sights on it! The only gripe I had was the trigger out of the box is 9 lbs. I bought a set of lighter trigger springs and did the rubbing compound trick. It works great now.
Good Luck

If you want one in .308, sorry to say, but the best thing would be to just order a complete DPMS rifle. They have a bunch of different configurations, and they all shoot great. If you want something different, say a 6.5-08, 6mm-243, or something like that, then building from scratch may be the way to go.

I picked up a used one with the 24" barrel for about $800. I bought it with the intention of building a Match rifle around a 6.5 or 6mm. However, the darn thing shoots so well as-is, I can't bring myself to tamper with it!

I put a Rock River trigger in it and like it.

Dpms

I believe DPMS has a 7.62x39 ar-15 available if that is your prefered caliber. I'd buy one of those, and then you could buy or build a 5.56x45 upper at a later date.
Pat McD I see we have similar interests in rifles. I have a Longrange 308.
If I had it to do over I would buy 260 cal and a lighter weight barrel. It would be a good steel rifle. When I bought this one, I called the factory because I heard rumors they were going to build a 260. The Tech told me they had plans for the 260, but hadn't finalized them yet. New orders weren't even being taken. Completion of orders already in were 6 to 9 months out! I saw one at Collectors and grabbed it!
The site you mailed me now sits on my Longrange. You should have your check by now thanks again.

Pat McD I see we have similar interests in rifles. I have a Longrange 308.
If I had it to do over I would buy 260 cal and a lighter weight barrel. It would be a good steel rifle. The site you mailed me now sits on my Longrange. You should have your check by now thanks again.

I would also buy the .260. I have a couple of M14's to fill the .308 card, but the DPMS shoots better than both of those! It is definitely a beast, though. She's the 4th one down (obviosly).
ARs.jpg

I got the check the other day. Thanks! I'm glad it works for you.

If you want an ultimate qualtiy AR10 style rifle, I suggest you consider the JP Rifles http://www.jprifles.com one that is coming out soon (no, I don't think they have it on their website yet). This was shown at the Shot Show, and is a based on the AR15 design but has the charging handle on the left side instead of pulling out from the back.

JP stuff isn't cheap - their similar AR15 rifle is $2795, but thou gettuth what thou payuth for.

The new JP rifle will come in .308 and .260. Both calibers have their advantages. I'll be getting mine in .308 for two reasons: Uniquity of ammo and longer barrel life (JP told me his best guess is that rifles in .260 have about half the barrel life of those in .308).

The new JP rifle will come in .308 and .260. Both calibers have their advantages. I'll be getting mine in .308 for two reasons: Uniquity of ammo and longer barrel life (JP told me his best guess is that rifles in .260 have about half the barrel life of those in .308).

Uniquity of ammo - .308?! Semantics aside, I would venture you mean availability of ammo if .308 and the lack of that virtue in .260.

Back
Top Bottom