• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How reliable is an AR-15?

But, but but, Wolf ammunition sucks!! As so many idiots usually say.

Seems to function just fine as far as I can see.

But, but but, Wolf ammunition sucks!! As so many idiots usually say.

Seems to function just fine as far as I can see.

It does suck pretty badly overall, but for this type of thing its exactly what I would use, too... lol it's not like a malfunction is likely to end the experiment.

-Mike

steel cased wolf? or wold gold?

Steel cased wolf. The .223 steel case is gutter trash as far as I'm concerned, but for a gun you're shooting with the intent that it might not survive? let er rip...

Although, having said that, there is far worse ammo than wolf steel case... like some of the Armscrap stuff thats out there, or Ultramax.... ultramax rifle ammo.. jesus H that shit is
horrendous.

-Mike

Redirecting the thread

So, reliability for what?

Basic rifleman combat load is 210 rounds. SAW is 800 and you swap barrels every 200

This went very far beyond that. But, my Aero upper does get hot after 200+ Consistent rounds, and need gloves

I watched this video and first thought was - how much did the ammo cost him?

It does suck pretty badly overall, but for this type of thing its exactly what I would use, too... lol it's not like a malfunction is likely to end the experiment.

-Mike

What has been your problems with it?

Honestly, I've fired well over 100,000rds of Wolf steel cased in 5 calibers, in pistols, rifles, beltfed guns and and machine guns and not once ever had failure to feed or failure to fire that was ammo related or a squib load and it never broke an extractor in any gun I own. It is not underpowered either, matter of fact it runs the machine guns better than several other brands.
I've reloaded the .45acp steel cases and the black box .223 before as they are boxer primed and use it for winter ammo when there was snow on the ground and brass would be lost.
I cannot say that for any other brand of ammo that I've ever used.

It being steel cased was not an issue in this "test". I would've expected the barrel to last more rounds. But the most I've put through my AR in one range session is around 300 rounds, in the fall, with periods of down time.

What has been your problems with it?
It's woefully under powered, or at least it was. Even Silver Bear 62 gr is hotter than that shit is. That said on guns that tolerate a wide variety of ammo it still seems to work.

I'll amend my earlier post a little. It's far better than UMC 223... god that shit is garbage... [rofl]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom