• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How quickly...?

Summer of 77, I wore a helmet 24/7 in case a section of Skylab happened to come crashing into my house.

That's my snarky way of saying, "It depends on where you live." I live in the MON. Down several streets to get here. Well visible from the road. Someone crashing thru a door or window here is severely unlikely.

But depending on where you live, that might be a different story. We can't account for EVERY eventuality, but I'd wear that helmet if Skylab II decides to fall from the sky.

If the following:
1) family including children not trained in firearms use
2) family does not have access to firearms or thinks they are scary
3) house doesn't have a motion sense video system with audible alarm that alerts you to movement outside
4) No dog that alerts

You are in for a rude awakening if someone gets in your house. In the above conditions you'll be forced to choose between herding your family or going to retrieve the firearm.

My family will occasionally grouse that our very mild lab will alert, as trained, whenever anyone approaches the house.

"He's so mild, he'd never do anything"

My reply is...it's his job to be eyes and ears, it's our job to supply the teeth in 115-230 grain increments.

If we're not there....it's only stuff. I'd rather he rolled over onto his belly and wagged his tail...and survived.

That's the protection model for him...and his pack....the people

The Oerlikon was causing havoc with the shingles so we decided a Bren would do in a pinch.
All kidding aside the above comment is good advice. We have cameras, lights and a dog that is just dying to take a bite of of a bg.
I have lights, but need to add motion sensors to them. I should put that on my list ASAP. Theres a front light on a photocell, so its always on dusk to dawn. Though, thinking it through, every time the motion light goes on because of a coyote, fox, deer, bear, etc that frequent my yard, my dog thats dying to take a bite out of every person, animal, falling leaf would lose his shit.

I dont carry in my house, I usually race to get into pajama pants or loose basketball shorts as soon as I get in if possible. Leaving the dog as the main security. I dont stash anything in the house because of kids.

Was the dog named Lucky?
In high school I worked at a small family owned grocery store. The owner had a Belgian shepherd that he would lock in the store every night at closing time. One morning when he opened he noticed the front door was smashed. Every aisle looked like someone slaughtered a deer and dragged it around the store. He found his dog in the back room with a bullet hole between his eyes. (pretty sure it was a .22) The vet said it was too dangerous to remove the bullet. He lost his sight in one eye so from then on you had to be careful approaching him on that side.

Every time the boss would run an errand he would take the dog with him in the bed of his truck. He forgot to put the tailgate back up one time and lost the dog on the highway.

The following year the store burned to the ground with the dog in it. The firemen couldn't approach him. When the boss got to the store he called his dog and the dog came walking out of a smoldering burned out building.

He was still alive and well when I left to join the service. When I think about potentially having to fight a dog hand to hand I think about him. He was huge and would not stop unless you killed him.

I live alone in a decent town in NH but also right on the MA line on a main road where I feel a drugged out scumbag could show up anytime. I will not be living here forever, another year or two. Not paranoid but aware of my setting.

I keep myself strong and would be a terrible choice of who's place to bust into but still eat, shit, shower, sleep, do dishes, and watch TV with a pistol within reach, because I like guns basically if nothing else :).

I have a dead bolt on one door, a piece of wood on the slider, and sleep with a dead bolt on my bedroom door. I feel pretty safe that nobody is sneaking up on me.

I think a deadbolt on the bedroom door is a nice touch. Nobody expects to find that.

Dogs are great but I am gone too much. If I was a family guy I'd have 2 big dogs.

Yeah, yeah, yeah- Have a dog, move somewhere that break-in risk is nil, blah blah blah. I did that. Let's answer every question the OP DID NOT ASK! LOL, that's what we do.

Assuming I'm not going somewhere that carrying is verboten (like work), carrying is just part of my day. IWB Sig 220 or pocket carry a Glock 43. I figure the 43 & its 9mm is at least good for making scary noises. [troll]

Bears and coyotes frequently visit and it would be nice to have a more effective option in case "shoo, go away" stops working and once decides to chew on one of us. Small bedside quick access safe takes care of any middle of the night emergencies.

My family will occasionally grouse that our very mild lab will alert, as trained, whenever anyone approaches the house.

My reply is...it's his job to be eyes and ears, it's our job to supply the teeth in 115-230 grain increments.

If we're not there....it's only stuff. I'd rather he rolled over onto his belly and wagged his tail...and survived.

A dog like that is a wonderful thing.
We had to put one of our Bostons down last year. Didn't matter that she was just a little shin buster of a dog. She was the master of alerting. Just one loud, clear, "Ruff!" and nose toward the person. I swear that dog could see through walls. And when we lived in town she wouldn't bark if someone was passing by on the walk, but would if they set one foot toward the house. Absolutely priceless having that consistent heads up.

Oh, and rifle next to the bed, splitting maul in the sitting room.

I guarantee that the lab will protect you in a pinch. I grew up with 2 docile Weimeraners, who wouldn't hurt a fly....or so we thought. A neighbor came flying through the door without knocking, harmlessly, but the dogs didn't know that. Let me just say that the guy has scars on his rear that will forever remind him of his foolhardiness.

Also, we live on a main road, reasonably well lit, with a large fence sealing off part of the backyard (I hung a cow bell on the door/gate to hear when it opens). The rest of the yard has thorny bushes, a lower fence, neighbors with dogs who bark all the time (the dogs, not the neighbors), and I installed 2 motion detector lights. I don't know how or why someone would try to get in, but you never know when people get desperate, like if they're running out of toilet paper. In the future I'd like to harden my doors.

I live alone in a decent town in NH but also right on the MA line on a main road where I feel a drugged out scumbag could show up anytime. I will not be living here forever, another year or two. Not paranoid but aware of my setting.

I keep myself strong and would be a terrible choice of who's place to bust into but still eat, shit, shower, sleep, do dishes, and watch TV with a pistol within reach, because I like guns basically if nothing else :).

I have a dead bolt on one door, a piece of wood on the slider, and sleep with a dead bolt on my bedroom door. I feel pretty safe that nobody is sneaking up on me.

I think a deadbolt on the bedroom door is a nice touch. Nobody expects to find that.

Dogs are great but I am gone too much. If I was a family guy I'd have 2 big dogs.

Realistically, I think you are fine. But someone could easily sneak up on you.

You could get an alarm without a monitoring fee for $200. Then you would know if someone opened a door or window.

To answer the OP question. I sleep on the second floor with a CZ Scorpion K with 2x 35rd mags next to my bed within arms reach. So 2 seconds I’d say from when my brain processes there is a threat. I typically do carry around the house and property as well. If i’m not carrying I have something within reach. As one of my best friends said. My house is not baby proofed.

Realistically, I think you are fine. But someone could easily sneak up on you.

You could get an alarm without a monitoring fee for $200. Then you would know if someone opened a door or window.

I could, actually have a motion sense spy camera running there now while I'm gone..

What's funny is my girlfriend routinely likes to leave my slider open when she is over. Drives me crazy, again not the paranoid type, but don't like the idea of someone being able to walk right in when I'm not paying attention, hard to relax that way. To me feels like the entire world can view into my place, prefer curtains drawn and door shut - open a window somewhere else for "air".

Carry in the home? Don't any of you lie down on the couch?

I don't "carry" at home rather I move the pistol around with me, taking a shit it sits on the sink, on the couch its on the coffee table etc etc

Am not a huge training nazi but if nothing else I handle a pistol a lot, constantly picking it up, putting it down etc etc

If you have to run to your safe to get a firearm, you have already lost. When a rabid raccoon wanders into your yard and bites your child, you’ll realize this. Get a more firearm friendly family.

To answer the OP question. I sleep on the second floor with a CZ Scorpion K with 2x 35rd mags next to my bed within arms reach. So 2 seconds I’d say from when my brain processes there is a threat. I typically do carry around the house and property as well. If i’m not carrying I have something within reach. As one of my best friends said. My house is not baby proofed.

Where you sleep makes a big difference. My alarm has no entry delay. So a guy breaking in on the ground floor who doesn't know the floor plan of the house isn't going to be coming into my bedroom immediately. All bedrooms are on the 2nd floor. If the alarm goes off. We have a plan. Wife grabs her gun, collects the kids into a certain room, dials 911. I grab my gun go to a position that is hidden that allows me to shoot through walls at anyone trying to come up stairs, funnel of death style.

We have joked that her description of me to the cops should be a really scared naked guy with a Glock. (I suspect with significant shrinkage. ;-) )

If we lived in a single floor home, the thief could spend a few minutes looking in windows figuring out the layout if he was smart enough. You would have less time.

intruder requires the same amount of time as it takes to read a clickbait title. hopefully this piece of information is helpful for your HD preparations.

intruder requires the same amount of time as it takes to read a clickbait title. hopefully this piece of information is helpful for your HD preparations.

Is that "one simple trick for visitors to NES" type of suggestion? LOL

Back
Top Bottom