• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How quickly...?

Dogs
Motion lights
Cameras
Fence
No plants near the house
Crew-serviced MG on the roof

Anyone with half a brain would pick a softer target.

I'll give you all of those. Except for the plants. Properly chosen and located plants can provide a barrier against an intruder getting too close without providing concealment.

You can throw a blanket over them.
Do a lot of thieves carry around blankets? You can also set off an EMP bomb and disable cameras and alarms; distract dogs with doggie treats; and overpower an armed homeowner with an armed team - none of this is common though.

Do a lot of thieves carry around blankets? You can also set off an EMP bomb and disable cameras and alarms; distract dogs with doggie treats; and overpower an armed homeowner with an armed team - none of this is common though.

I have a client whose building was broken into. Thieves used a blanket to get over a barbed wire fence and broke a basement window behind a bush. Thieves knew exactly what they were taking and knew where it was. Did not care they set the building alarm off. Were gone long before cops showed up. The dog treats thing does happen, as do armed home invasions.

While securing your home's perimeter is important, security is about layers. One of those layers is either a firearm on you or a firearm (not secured) near you.

Exactly. All the locks and cameras in the world are still only ‘the final defensive line’ of your home before the TOC (us and our families in this case) gets overrun.

The best warriors overseas from any war with professionally hardened perimeters can still end up with gooks in the wire.

I have a client whose building was broken into. Thieves used a blanket to get over a barbed wire fence and broke a basement window behind a bush. Thieves knew exactly what they were taking and knew where it was. Did not care they set the building alarm off. Were gone long before cops showed up. The dog treats thing does happen, as do armed home invasions.
Doesn't sound like a random attack. I don't think I have as many enemies as your client.

Interesting. Can you recommend any species?

Not really, I'm not enough of a nature lover to know which species are which. But woody shrubs which are not completely dense work. Make sure that someone cannot hide in or behind them.

Not a perfect solution but it can work in some circumstaces.

I dont carry in my house, I usually race to get into pajama pants or loose basketball shorts as soon as I get in if possible. Leaving the dog as the main security. I dont stash anything in the house because of kids.

Fingerprint-operated gun safes are your friend.

Should some uninvited guest come storming through the door or window, how soon could you access a tool to neutralize him? My downstairs safe is accessible, or I could run upstairs, but either route would take 5-7 seconds. Would that be quick enough? I don't want to walk around the house armed (well, actually I do, but my wife and kids would freak out, so I won't). Ideally, I could have a coffee table like what Bruce Willis had in Death Wish, for quick access to some serious firepower.
Its no different than a draw or knife caddy on the counter. My kids dont even ask about my EDC its not out of place for them to see it.
Just carry

I live in a small town in NH, not on Chicago south side, so I'm not paranoid enough to run around the house strapped. Imagine this: I went grocery shopping UNARMED and didn't get killed in the streets. Oh the humanity!

Dogs
Motion lights
Cameras
Fence
No plants near the house
Crew-serviced MG on the roof

Anyone with half a brain would pick a softer target.
You forgot the "Bernie for President" sign on the lawn. They'll think you will take their stuff if they break in.

Back
Top Bottom