How quickly...?

ridleyman

NES Member
Should some uninvited guest come storming through the door or window, how soon could you access a tool to neutralize him? My downstairs safe is accessible, or I could run upstairs, but either route would take 5-7 seconds. Would that be quick enough? I don't want to walk around the house armed (well, actually I do, but my wife and kids would freak out, so I won't). Ideally, I could have a coffee table like what Bruce Willis had in Death Wish, for quick access to some serious firepower.

I just assumed everyone here walks around their house strapped and goes to bed at night with a specific nightstand gun. Hell, I was thinking about mounting strap to my bathroom vanity to hang kydex holsters from when I'm on the can. I suppose the rules in my house are different though, currently living alone.

I just assumed everyone here walks around their house strapped and goes to bed at night with a specific nightstand gun. Hell, I was thinking about mounting strap to my bathroom vanity to hang kydex holsters from when I'm on the can. I suppose the rules in my house are different though, currently living alone.
same situation. i always have something on me, shield or a mod 60 all day. g19 with a light attached is an arms reach away at night.

3. Concealed weapon stashed in every room.
this doesn't make sense for most people. besides there's murphys law to contend with.

same situation. i always have something on me, shield or a mod 60 all day. g19 with a light attached is an arms reach away at night.

this doesn't make sense for most people. besides there's murphys law to contend with.

lol...that's almost exactly that I do. Shield or P365 carry most of the time, as they conceal better in my work clothes (still haven't figured out which one I like better). P80/G19 with a light for the night stand. I actually thought to myself that it's kind of crazy to swap out guns just for sleeping, so I'm glad to hear I'm not alone.

....either route would take 5-7 seconds. Would that be quick enough?

you're not taking into account the time you are going to take when your normalcy bias of not being in condition 1 is crashed through. Unless you drill it, you'll be 5-7 seconds just processing that.

So the answer to your question is....no, it would not be quick enough.

I actually thought to myself that it's kind of crazy to swap out guns just for sleeping, so I'm glad to hear I'm not alone.
don't own too many pistols with rails to mount a light. my warped way of thinking was if i ever had to use it, it might cause me less pain for all to know during the trial i could see what i was shooting at and not firing blindly into the night.

The questions you are asking suggest you are in a reactive posture with no home defense plan. Instead, you need to take command and control of your domicile and your family. Generally speaking if someone comes in through your window uninvited they are fair game (just remember the magic words when you speak to police). Your job is to make sure you have planned and practiced your response. There are many good resources online to walk you through how to do this. Some basics include reviewing the layout of your home's entry and exit points, motion detector lighting, etc. Make your wife understand you love your family enough to consider deadly force a necessary precaution, and take responsibility for it. Never overlook what's beyond your target or over-penetration if it hits the fan. EDC eventually feels the same as a leatherman or cell phone - it's no big deal and you are in direct possession so kids don't get accidental access. Your neutralization time becomes almost instantaneous and you'll have situational awareness in your favor.

If you need to carry a gun in your house then your dead already.
One of the key elements of home security,is securing your
perimeter.It starts outside in the street around your house,
and works it's way in.First lets take the weak area's in your
home like your windows,and doors.There are many product out there
on the market that can help you make your window,and doors
harder to get into.You have to understand if someone wants to get
into your house they will.What matters is how long is it going to
take them to do it,Make your house less interesting like a clean,and well lit
area.Mostly keeping trees,and bushes well trimmed. An alarm system is
a very good idea,but some people cannot afford the monthly payments
for monitoring. So you can buy a DIY set up,or just buy the signs on
ebay,and put them on your widows,and lawn.Train your your family
how to react in case someone is trying to break in that's including
use of a firearm. You can always put quick open safes around the house
so you can access a gun wherever you,are in the house..James Bonding
it is not always a good idea,because it might put the gun in the wrong hands.

I agree with the suggestion to get a dog if the situation permits. You could also stash bear spray in convenient locations for quick access until you can get to something that would be more of a deterrent. Unless it is on your person, handy access to anything lethal with children in the house is situational. I grew up with firearms. My children were raised and educated knowing the dangers. But you don't know how other parents teach their children. Your kids will have friends over, birthday parties, etc.

The questions you are asking suggest you are in a reactive posture with no home defense plan. Instead, you need to take command and control of your domicile and your family. Generally speaking if someone comes in through your window uninvited they are fair game (just remember the magic words when you speak to police). Your job is to make sure you have planned and practiced your response. There are many good resources online to walk you through how to do this. Some basics include reviewing the layout of your home's entry and exit points, motion detector lighting, etc. Make your wife understand you love your family enough to consider deadly force a necessary precaution, and take responsibility for it. Never overlook what's beyond your target or over-penetration if it hits the fan. EDC eventually feels the same as a leatherman or cell phone - it's no big deal and you are in direct possession so kids don't get accidental access. Your neutralization time becomes almost instantaneous and you'll have situational awareness in your favor.

^Truth. Taking responsibility for your family’s protection is priority #1.
It doesn’t have to be a big argument with your wife though. If you wind up not talking to each other for a month you are doing it wrong. Your family wants protection and security from you they just sometimes don’t know it.

Sending her articles about home invasions gone wrong from time to time will get her moving in the right direction, as well as not making disarming yourself right away when you walk into your home. This may mean staying in your work clothes for a few hours so you have no opportunity.

Additionally you can harden your home by planting thorny roses bushes under the windows(or something similar) Don’t ask her permission...plant them and then when she comments on how nice they look tell her why you did it. Do it right and soon she will be carrying inside the home as well.

Dogs
Motion lights
Cameras
Fence
No plants near the house
Crew-serviced MG on the roof

Anyone with half a brain would pick a softer target.
The Oerlikon was causing havoc with the shingles so we decided a Bren would do in a pinch.
All kidding aside the above comment is good advice. We have cameras, lights and a dog that is just dying to take a bite of of a bg.

The Oerlikon was causing havoc with the shingles so we decided a Bren would do in a pinch.
All kidding aside the above comment is good advice. We have cameras, lights and a dog that is just dying to take a bite of of a bg.

Don't forget plants near the house. A lot of break ins exploit bushes covering basement windows or trees giving access to the second floor. Make it so if someone wants to break in, they have to do it where you want them to.

And 2 dogs is way better. I can fight off one pissed off dog, but fighting two would probably mean death.

If you need to carry a gun in your house then your dead already.

Not sure I follow this logic, or maybe I'm misreading it. I might not have an immediate need to carry at home (ie. I live in a relatively safe area), but I'm sure as hell going to carry in my home out of an abundance of caution. Some might call it going overboard, but what's the point of getting an LTC carry permit if you're not going to carry in the most important place of all, your own home?

I have three locks on my unit entry door. I have motion lights and a net camera set up with two way sound. I have safes for my valuables. But I'm sure as sh*t still going to carry if I can. You never know, like that surgeon and his wife who was killed in a home invasion in his $2M condo in Southie a couple years back. Safe area with decent building security. Even had a concierge. Still dead.

Some of you folks are nutz. All of us can get bum rushed and lose most of the time. If you try and live in a 24 hour state of defense against that you will be unhealthy and unhappy. Move to a better neighborhood, hang out with better people, get a dog. Living as if you have 5 seconds to fend off an attack at all times is stupid. And for the people pissed off by that your response time to a threat while rage composing a response to this post would be well over 5 seconds.

And 2 dogs is way better. I can fight off one pissed off dog, but fighting two would probably mean death.

In high school I worked at a small family owned grocery store. The owner had a Belgian shepherd that he would lock in the store every night at closing time. One morning when he opened he noticed the front door was smashed. Every aisle looked like someone slaughtered a deer and dragged it around the store. He found his dog in the back room with a bullet hole between his eyes. (pretty sure it was a .22) The vet said it was too dangerous to remove the bullet. He lost his sight in one eye so from then on you had to be careful approaching him on that side.

Every time the boss would run an errand he would take the dog with him in the bed of his truck. He forgot to put the tailgate back up one time and lost the dog on the highway.

The following year the store burned to the ground with the dog in it. The firemen couldn't approach him. When the boss got to the store he called his dog and the dog came walking out of a smoldering burned out building.

He was still alive and well when I left to join the service. When I think about potentially having to fight a dog hand to hand I think about him. He was huge and would not stop unless you killed him.

Some of you folks are nutz. All of us can get bum rushed and lose most of the time. If you try and live in a 24 hour state of defense against that you will be unhealthy and unhappy. Move to a better neighborhood, hang out with better people, get a dog. Living as if you have 5 seconds to fend off an attack at all times is stupid. And for the people pissed off by that your response time to a threat while rage composing a response to this post would be well over 5 seconds.

Not sure about everyone else, but my daily carry has little to no impact on my quality of life. It takes about a 3 minute stop by my safe 2 times a day. That's it. No other changes to lifestyle. So if the bar for added safety is that, then why not? It's not like I'm wearing a plate carrier at home, constantly staring out of my blinds for bad guys. But if a unprecedented situation does arise, I'm that much ahead of the game already.

Not sure about everyone else, but my daily carry has little to no impact on my quality of life. It takes about a 3 minute stop by my safe 2 times a day. That's it. No other changes to lifestyle. So if the bar for added safety is that, then why not? It's not like I'm wearing a plate carrier at home, constantly staring out of my blinds for bad guys. But if a unprecedented situation does arise, I'm that much ahead of the game already.
That's fine. I question when folks have the expectation of a sub 5 second response to being bum rushed 24 hours a day. It isn't realistic or healthy to think that way.

Back
Top Bottom