How Old Too Old - Ammo

22lr can last a very long time, depends on the lube used also. If it was lubed with tallow it will oxidize over time. More expensive match ammo is lubed with bees wax. most stuff these days is lubed with paraffin wax.

Im down to my last 500 rounds of 70s vintage Russian Junoir 22lr I shot up all the steel cased stuff years ago. My Dad bought a bunch of this stuff every year at a NH gun show. It was a challenge for the brother and I to shoot it all up before the next year....was not hard we pissed through that 50k round case in no time. That was just the cheap plinking stuff he stock piled.

1914 - 1918 era .45 Auto ammo isn't too uncommon to find. It worked last time I fired some, but I must admit, I stashed the remnant away for whatever reason.
They probably don't make that 1978 vintage anymore, so I'm sure somebody out there wants it. The boxes are probably worth more than the ammo, being in such fine shape.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Well, if anyone sees this in the next few months and wants that ammo, let me know. Not looking to profit off them or anything like that, I would do a straight swap for new stuff as long as it's decent quality. In the meantime I'm shooting one box next time I'm at the range!

Well, if anyone sees this in the next few months and wants that ammo, let me know. Not looking to profit off them or anything like that, I would do a straight swap for new stuff as long as it's decent quality. In the meantime I'm shooting one box next time I'm at the range!
Keep the box in good shape.

I have fired lots of ww1 and ww2 era ammo, never had a problem, even with shitty old .303 british amd 7.62x54r ammo. I have some of my dad's 6mm remington ammo he loaded for his/my old bull barrel remington 700, it still shoots well under half moa and I'm pretty sure he loaded it in the 60's.

I have fired lots of ww1 and ww2 era ammo, never had a problem, even with shitty old .303 british amd 7.62x54r ammo. I have some of my dad's 6mm remington ammo he loaded for his/my old bull barrel remington 700, it still shoots well under half moa and I'm pretty sure he loaded it in the 60's.
Only ammo in 30 plus years i have had a lot of problems with 22lr rem goldenturds and some 8mm mauser that should have been called triple long hangfire...

Back
Top Bottom