How old do you consider a gun to be before you consider it old??

I assume we are talking actual age and not just an old style? I have two rifles I consider old in age. Winchester 1894 built in the 50s and a Mossberg 44 which is a least built in the 50s. Not really sure since they were produced with no serial numbers. Then I have old style guns but new construction. I would consider those new but someone else may consider it old? To me probably anything produced mid 80s and older. I'll be 44 next month.

I assume we are talking actual age and not just an old style? I have two rifles I consider old in age. Winchester 1894 built in the 50s and a Mossberg 44 which is a least built in the 50s. Not really sure since they were produced with no serial numbers. Then I have old style guns but new construction. I would consider those new but someone else may consider it old? To me probably anything produced mid 80s and older. I'll be 44 next month.
I have a rifle and shotgun with no numbers. The Savage 222 Remington is a tack driver that was given to me. The shotgun is mint and belonged to my long departed grandmother. I don’t think it’s had a shell inserted into in my 61 years.

I was at a gun store last weekend and as I was perusing the case I heard a young 20 something year old tell the clerk that the gun he was looking at was old. It was a S&W revolver that was made sometime in the late 80s according to the gun store clerk. I started thinking to myself "That's not Old".... It's obviously age related, but what do you consider an "old" gun? To me it's my 1916 Webley and possibly my WWII Luger or K-98. I don't consider my guns that were born in the 60s or 70s all that old. Though to a young whipper snapper that might be ancient.

So what is considered an "old" gun to you?
For me a gun is old when you can not shoot it.

If the gun is unsafe for modern loads, it’s old.
I’ve got a pump 12 gauge that sits loaded for HD that’s over 110 years old. My first grab when things go bump.
I pass on Damascus barreled guns, too old.

A gun is old when it isn’t able to be repaired.

In all seriousness, when they took the guns in England. They destroyed so many historic pieces.

I get iit, Governments all of the world confiscate firearms. It’s too bad they don’t take the time To store pieces of history.

I don’t have a link to the video, but the ATF obviously has vaults full of Really cool shit.. Not just because they’re a firearm, but because of their historical significance, or what crime they were used in or the previous owners.

That stuff shouldn’t be destroyed for any reason it’s our history

1950's is old to me and when a lot of good guns were made and a lot of good designs were produced because they could be. I have a lot of old hunting irons from the 50's walnut and steel, and they just work. Ithaca 37's, Browning A-5's, Remington 742, 760's, Savage 99's.

Some are older designs like Marlin 336, 1894 and 1895, I have later Remlins and they aint that bad.

Winchester 92 and 94 haven't changed that much if you buy high grade models still in production......'

Back
Top Bottom