How old do you consider a gun to be before you consider it old??

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I was at a gun store last weekend and as I was perusing the case I heard a young 20 something year old tell the clerk that the gun he was looking at was old. It was a S&W revolver that was made sometime in the late 80s according to the gun store clerk. I started thinking to myself "That's not Old".... It's obviously age related, but what do you consider an "old" gun? To me it's my 1916 Webley and possibly my WWII Luger or K-98. I don't consider my guns that were born in the 60s or 70s all that old. Though to a young whipper snapper that might be ancient.

So what is considered an "old" gun to you?

Well, one way to consider it: If you're 20, twice your lifetime is 40 years. If you're 40, that becomes 80. Same ratio, just different scale. Same reason that 5-6 year old kids think teenagers are "old." If 1917 feels old, that puts you in your 50s?

Sometimes I look at my 90's pistols and feel they're old/outdated. Then I think about my Mosins, K31, etc... and the 90's is young compared to that. Some have aged better than others, I guess.

I think revolvers, I think Wild West. Which was a long time ago. So, it might feel "old" even if it's a newer model. Especially compared to a modern striker fired pistol with rail and optics cut.

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I think 25 is a magic number. Cars older than 25 years are considered classic. Most men consider women 25 years older than then too old, or women under 25 too young and immature. A song that came out before 1998, like "Macarena".

For Smith, Anything before they stopped pinning and recessing. Heck, anything before they put in the chastity lock on the frame I would consider old. But when I say an old or an older revolver, that is a good thing. I real good thing. The newer stuff sucks.

BATFE "Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old"

Maybe apply the half your age plus 7 years standard to firearms?

I don’t really thing of anything semi auto as old. Not even my Garands or my 1918 Colt 1911.

If it’s well taken care of and functions then age doesn’t really matter

A plastic gun is old the minute the newest "Gen", "V" or "M" version comes out. [crying]

Like the clowns on reddit telling me my PPS is "obsolete?" Bitch, it's a single stack Glock with a better grip, a decade before Glock jumped on the bandwagon and it's 100% reliable.

I think 25 is a magic number. Cars older than 25 years are considered classic. Most men consider women 25 years older than then too old, or women under 25 too young and immature. A song that came out before 1998, like "Macarena".
20 is the magic number for a classic in the car world
And that kinda suck's, Because I can remember driving it off the lot new, like it was yesterday.

Quality & dependability has no age! My belt holds a S&W snub nose pre 10. that's close to 70 years young. that has been more reliable than my Glocks

Back
Top Bottom