• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How often do you practice with your carry gun ?

Assuming I have ammo I try to shoot 200 rounds through my Glock 19 every weekend. Realistically I do it about 6 of 10 weekends. I always go on a slow evening when no one is on the range, so I can shoot forward of the firing line and move around.

Recently added a Diamondback DB9 to my EDC as a backup gun and my plan is to also shoot 50 rounds through that every trip.

Be sure to practice drawing, moving, shooting, reloading, and malfunction clearing (have a friend put a snap cap randomly in each of your mags so when you get to it the gun stops unexpectedly).

Last edited:
I draw down and dry fire on the pizza delivery guy when he comes to my house every night.

Completely different, for me aleast

I dry fire at a dot on the wall and its helped a little bit. But to be honest you need to deal with recoil and the auditory aspect of shooting a gun.

But recoil would not effect draw time, it may have a tiny effect on the reload. For me live fire adds .2-.3s. But in reality it should not add anything because it is the same motion

As often as possible. But I'll admit with the high cost of replacing spent cartridges, I'm sort of in "horde" mode.

The best alternative is dry firing and practicing holster draws. I try to do this at least once or twice a day for five minutes.

At least once a month. In many different forms. Right hand only..left hand only. On the ground, prone, on my rear end.

I also shoot 2 times a week on plate shoots so my aim is not that big of a concern to me.

But recoil would not effect draw time, it may have a tiny effect on the reload. For me live fire adds .2-.3s. But in reality it should not add anything because it is the same motion

True but I was talking about accurate follow up shots. Not just draw by itself but in that case yea it probably would add time.

When I dry fire I holster, draw and pull trigger. When I'm at the range I go for either 1,2 or three shot strings. Mixing up the amount I fire help not do just the repetitive pull shoot over and over

Back
Top Bottom