• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

how often do you guys clean your AR?

I like the idea of that ultrasonic cleaner. I am going to add that to my wish list.

As for the cleaning frequency, one thing I forgot to mention was that I also like to clean them because it also gives me a good closeup inspection of the internals during the process so that I can watch for abnormal wear, cracks, etc. I should also add that my ARs get way more attention than the AKs, which just get a quick pass of the bore snake after a prolonged range trip, or 2. Since ARs like to run wet, I usually break them down mainly to re-lube, so while "I'm in there" anyway, it just seems silly not to clean it up at the same time. I don't however do a full detail dis-assembly of the BCG every time, just wipe it down, or spray it with brake cleaner, clean any gunk out of the upper, run the bore snake through it, re-lube and it's done. Takes a total of maybe 5-10 minutes unless I'm doing a detail type cleaning.

I am on a quest to run as many rounds through one of my ARs without cleaning it until it dies. So far over 2000 dirty reloads and counting.

Dave

Read that article I posted. With the exception of magazine feeding issues, you shouldn't have a problem even without cleaning for thousands of rounds. As long as the buffer spring, extractor spring and o rings are in good working order, a little clp should be all that is required.

I'll clean the BCG after 500 rds or so. I won't touch the barrel until at least 2500 rds.

ive taken a few different rifles through classes with over 2k rounds in a weekend on the purpose of trying to make them fail...hasnt happened

I field strip and give my AR a good cleaning once a month even if it hasn't been used. Keeping it cleaned and lubed means that it will function reliably at a moments notice of "go time"

Back
Top Bottom