• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How often do you carry a gun?

How often do you carry a gun?

• Daily

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • Several times a week

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Once a month or so

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Rarely

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • I don't carry at all

Votes: 14 15.9%

• Total voters
SiameseRat said:
So you'll sh*t, shower and shave before you go after the coyote? [shocked]

'Course. Otherwise my stench will drive him off before I can get a clear sight picture.

*sigh* Do I have to teach you young'uns everything???

Jay G said:
The neighbors get mighty antsy when I walk around the backyard with the 91/30 slung over my shoulder.

I was thinking Romanian Dragunov myself. And the neighbors are mostly members of her family, they shoot off their back porches. I LOVE living in the sticks.

Her cousin stopped by yesterday evening, and of course, I had to show him a couple of the guns I had brought up. I had the AR, the RomAK 3, and an M9 with me. Wait until he sees the M1 or M14.........

Adam_MA said:
Wait!
You mean you don't shower with your gun on?

Nah. I've got a stainless revolver in the toilet tank to cover bathroom "surprises"... [wink]

Nickle said:
I was thinking Romanian Dragunov myself. And the neighbors are mostly members of her family, they shoot off their back porches. I LOVE living in the sticks.

Her cousin stopped by yesterday evening, and of course, I had to show him a couple of the guns I had brought up. I had the AR, the RomAK 3, and an M9 with me. Wait until he sees the M1 or M14.........

Now you're just trying to make me jealous...

(And it's working)... [grin]

Originally Posted by Nickle

Jay G said:
Now you're just trying to make me jealous...

(And it's working)... [grin]

Not my fault you live in the wrong place. I'm just lucky enough to have been born up here, then lucky enough to finally learn how to pick them (ladies). Her family is definitely NOT a bunch of GFWs.

SiameseRat said:
I have a well-complained about Sporting and Target. Which puts me in the "never" category. Not worth the risk. Having guns at all is way better than the alternative.
When I am feeling daring I sometimes open carry (In open carry states only, NH and TN so far) my Sig 226ST in a Safariland 070 level III holster with a bianchi belt that has a retention mechanism on the belt clasp. It screams cop so I don't get many looks, but it has still sparked some productive conversations about RKBA.

I have been having second thoughts about doing this while still a resident of Mass. given how some crooked cops in NH are attacking people who open carry. I am worried they will say something to the licensing authority and I will lose my license and RKBA forever.

Kel,

Yes, if you got hassled in NH and they notified your CLEO (or it made the news and he picked up on it), I would expect most MA CLEOs to yank your LTC as "unsuitable". Even though the NH law is on your side, there is no viable appeal process to such a determination by a MA CLEO.

I'd be hesitant to open carry anywhere that wasn't rural and where I'd seen other people carrying. I worry too much about losing my license because it was such a pain to get it. Plus with open carry I worry about that one complete bastard who will run along and try to grab it. Concealed would be the only way I'd do it.

SiameseRat said:
Plus with open carry I worry about that one complete bastard who will run along and try to grab it.
Gun grabs will always be a concern when open carrying, but good equipment and positioning can mitigate the risk to the point where I think it is acceptable. The Safariland 070 is an impossible draw if you don't know how the holster operates, especially if you are still conscious and resisting. Any one can defeat the primary strap, but there is a secondary strap where your middle finger would go during a draw that must be released and it is between the holster and your body and is neigh invisible. Then you have to get past the ejection port lock by rocking the gun backwards an 1/8th of an inch. It's a snap if the holster is on you, but when your facing someone wearing the holster it is very difficult to do quickly even if you know how it works because the snaps are difficult to reach, and it would definitely give me enough time to move my body in such away as to shield the holster. A good holster won't stop a grab, but it can definitely buy you enough time to do something about it. Positioning entails having your arm over the holster when walking in public, situational awareness, and most importantly, not open carrying in stupid places like bars/clubs/2:00AM.

All that being said, I won't be open carrying again until I leave the state for good, it isn't worth the risk.

Last edited:
A level 3 holster is BIG, not slim and compact against the body. They are typically built to go on a Sam Browne belt (LE duty belt) not to be worn on a normal street belt. Not something that I would consider wearing anywhere unless I was back in uniform.

My son, a cop, showed me his holster. It's made specifically for his particular weapon (a .40 P99) and it's designed so that the gun has to be twisted in a certain way to release if from the holster. It has 2 other devises as well. It's called a triple retention holster.

I never see anything like it advertised for us peons..

WHY would you want one!

Take a look at a uniformed LEO, most triple retention holsters stick out 2-3" from belt. Makes it difficult to throw a shirt over it . . . looks like a large tumor or an external colostomy bag <eeww!>.

Also they cost as much or more than many excellent custom holsters.

Well I put down "Once a month or so". I am surpised that is low on the poll. I only carry if I am going somewhere at night (like a local store that gets robbed often), or going to the range.

Granted I like to go out for a drink and also like the beach. But I am a pretty smart, in shape, and live on the Cape, so I see no real reason to carry.

Producer said:
But I am a pretty smart, in shape, and live on the Cape, so I see no real reason to carry.

The was a theme song to a TV show that started "When it's least expected...."

I don;t understand how you can decide to pick and choose when it's safe to go out. As Bush said,"They only have to be right once, we have to be right all the time,"

Pilgrim said:
<SNIP> I don;t understand how you can decide to pick and choose when it's safe to go out. As Bush said,"They only have to be right once, we have to be right all the time,"

I think we all (less so as time progresses) still have the lingering thought that "I'll be fine today". [thinking]

I know I got use to not carrying every single day, all day (despite a couple of needy incidents) after a couple of years here in MA (prior to LEOSA04). Still carried at times, depending on where I was going. But I got use to not carrying. Wasn't always comfortable, but its such a drag to worry about everything all the time. [rolleyes]

With the LEOSA04 and a good way to secure my weapon in the POV, I'm back to carrying all the time now.

And I soon hope to increase my carry choices. [smile]

RJ

Daily CCW. HK P7M13 in a Milt Sparks VM-2, Gold Dots, Surefire 6P (Knives, Leatherman, etc. not shown)
Holsters.jpg

i went with "several times a week" due to the fact that if it's hot out and i don't feel like wearing a cover shirt(still haven't gotten used to not having a shirt between the holster an the skin) i don't conceal carry..

Pilgrim said:
The was a theme song to a TV show that started "When it's least expected...."

I don;t understand how you can decide to pick and choose when it's safe to go out. As Bush said,"They only have to be right once, we have to be right all the time,"

I live on the cape, and I feel confident enough not to carry all the time. I would feel like less of a man if I did.

Back
Top Bottom