How not to be a range/safety officer

One of those 'they're going to need a clean change of underwear moments'.

All 3 of them...

Last edited by a moderator:
dog+surprise.gif

Good god.
So, do we chalk this up to the old " no biggie he forgot he left his smith and glockson in his carry on" mentality? Are we allowed to finally say that these guys should have known better?

From around the interwebz - the guy who was downrange is apparently very hard of hearing but IMO this one is entirely on the RO. It's the RO's job to ensure that the stage is in a state that is ready for the shooter to begin the course of fire whether that means all the targets are taped and steel reset or more importantly that there are no people in an unsafe spot.

This is also a big reason that I prefer snowfence or mesh for walls rather than something opaque. I know the hard walls look better and make it more of a challenge for the competitor because they can't see what's in each spot but it makes it damn easy to see if the range is in fact clear before starting the next shooter.

Cripes! Good thing the guy shooting the stage realized that was a LIVE target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[shocked] And he had a white shirt too, looking like one of the targets.

The white targets are the non-belligerents one generally avoids trying to hit.

And no, it is not racial. "Way back when" it cost more to get bleached white targets, so they designated as the hostage targets (before PC took over and hostage became no-shoot; the fumble zone became the safety area; and assault courses became field courses).

The white targets are the non-belligerents one generally avoids trying to hit.

And no, it is not racial. "Way back when" it cost more to get bleached white targets, so they designated as the hostage targets (before PC took over and hostage became no-shoot; the fumble zone became the safety area; and assault courses became field courses).

Oh ok, I didn't know that since I don't compete so thanks for educating me. I guess the white shirt might have actually saved him from being shot then...lucky.

Last edited:
Did:

1. The RO fail to properly clear the range before starting the stage?

or

2. Did the dumb f**k just wander downrange on his own after the range was cleared?

Back
Top Bottom