1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

How NIMBYs Made ‘Back Yard’ Mean ‘Entire Neighborhood’

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Coyote33, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Coyote33

Coyote33

2. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

I've been amused when pro-Northern Pass people scream "NIMBYism!" at opponents, when it literally is their back yard.

timbo and fishgutzy like this.
  3. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i do not get it?
    They want us to use YIMBY?
    What, was NIMBY racist?

4. Coyote33

Coyote33

Gotta read the comments section.

5. kevin9

kevin9

Many of these folks need to go back and read de Tocqueville and Hamilton.

timbo likes this.
  6. fishgutzy

fishgutzy

Back in the 90's the Boston Globe ran an article regarding the declining violent crime rate in Roxbury and and Dorchester. It quoted local residents that were actually complaining about the declining violent crime rates. Why? Because "white yuppies" were moving in, developers were buying up properties, and rents and housing costs were going up.
    That was the first time it was made clear that the left uses crime to suppress property values. When connected developers want to expand into an area, PD is then directed to increase enforcement as developers start buying up property. This pattern exists in every urban area.
    San Fransicko is going through a property value suppression phase. It will be followed by new development and increased enforcement and clean up.

7. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

1. I'm not sure that city fathers are smart enough to manipulate crime to affect property values. They aren't that self-aware.

2. In the F'ing back yard. TS. I've got a pipeline in my backyard. Haven't blow'd up yet. The level of the teh'stupid is so high on that one. Sort of like the Town of Easton and trains.

8. Coyote33

Coyote33

What happened in Easton with trains?

9. teaser452

teaser452

The house i grew up in had an easement on it. Underneath the driveway there was a giant natural gas pipe that went north. One of the main lines. Dad explained to me that if there is ever a leak, that easement allowed the gas company to come in tear up our entire driveway and do whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted. (We didn’t have gas, we had oil).

And here we are 35 years later that house still stands. And people have been warm all that time, took showers and cooked. No problems.

Imagine the odds of that!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Oh they don’t want the Commuter Rail
    Going thru so they pull out every BS argument that it can’t go.

“Oh the Hockmock Swamp.” Except it’s using the existing rail line. And it’s already polluted to hell.

“The kids!” Right. Easton kids are dumber than the rest of the country. Got it.

Basically their opinion is F everyone else south of them. If I ran the MBTA, I’d shove it down their throats and then run the train horn continuously from town line to town line. Forever.

Arto likes this.
  11. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Well, your situation sounds a lot like Great Until It Isn't.

As for NIMBY generally, probably the most egregious case I can think of is the reason (and lady behind it) almost all traffic crossing Connecticut north of the shoreline has to pass through the center of Hartford, and it comes down to a housefrau who failed to do her due diligence in a real estate deal:

Connecticut I-291

12. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Fat chance.....most ofthem probably can't read.

13. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Did you buy my old house in Ashland?

14. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

I prefer the term LULU's. Locally Undesired Land Uses.

15. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

Is it really due to enforcement, or is it more that Roxbury became a more hip and therefore more expensive place to live. Wealthier and whiter people moved in and crime dropped. Poorer blacks were priced out and had to move. Id be willing to bet that as crime dropped in Roxbury, it rose in whatever suburbs these people ended up in.

I recall a story that Ill try to keep brief. Violent crime in Memphis was rising in areas that were previously peaceful and quiet (relatively). MPD hired a consultant to help them figure out why. Consultant had his data on his laptop with each instance of a shooting or robbery or whatever represented as a dot on a map of the city. His wife worked as a social worker and part of her job was following up on section 8 recipients in their new homes. She had her data on her laptop with each of her "clients" also represented as a dot on a map of the city.

Lo and behold, one night they discover the patterns of the dots on each of their laptops were a damn good match. Mystery solved for the consultant.

16. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

True but what's the split on stakeholders ( people who actually would have the pipeline running behind their house if it was built) vs generic moonbats whining? I bet it's at least a 30 / 70 split....

I'm indifferent about the whole thing but curious about the opposition to the thing. If the value prop to the stakeholders sucks then it's understandable. They should get free gas for 10 years or something...

17. teaser452

teaser452

No. Was Framingham. Probably the same line. Back in the 80s.

18. Nick Fury

Nick Fury

I work with a section 8 type program and at least 80% of housing recipients break the law or lease agreement within the first year. Probably 50% within the first month. I shit you not...