1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How NIMBYs Made ‘Back Yard’ Mean ‘Entire Neighborhood’

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Coyote33, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Coyote33

Coyote33

2. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

I've been amused when pro-Northern Pass people scream "NIMBYism!" at opponents, when it literally is their back yard.

fishgutzy likes this.
  3. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i do not get it?
    They want us to use YIMBY?
    What, was NIMBY racist?

4. Coyote33

Coyote33

Gotta read the comments section.

5. kevin9

kevin9

Many of these folks need to go back and read de Tocqueville and Hamilton.

6. fishgutzy

fishgutzy

Back in the 90's the Boston Globe ran an article regarding the declining violent crime rate in Roxbury and and Dorchester. It quoted local residents that were actually complaining about the declining violent crime rates. Why? Because "white yuppies" were moving in, developers were buying up properties, and rents and housing costs were going up.
    That was the first time it was made clear that the left uses crime to suppress property values. When connected developers want to expand into an area, PD is then directed to increase enforcement as developers start buying up property. This pattern exists in every urban area.
    San Fransicko is going through a property value suppression phase. It will be followed by new development and increased enforcement and clean up.

7. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

1. I'm not sure that city fathers are smart enough to manipulate crime to affect property values. They aren't that self-aware.

2. In the F'ing back yard. TS. I've got a pipeline in my backyard. Haven't blow'd up yet. The level of the teh'stupid is so high on that one. Sort of like the Town of Easton and trains.