• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How Much Should a Training Course Cost?

M.Nastek

Instructor
NES Member
There seems to be a feeling that paying for a course should be inexpensive?

Lets get the basic needs out of the way.
We all now that we need to take time of from work or home.
Having to use Ammo is a given.
And if you carry you should already have the right gear.
You will have to drive somewhere.

I keeping hearing that everything is just to much Money.

So I ask this question to you all what should they cost?

What should a course/instructor get paid?

How much class time is accceptable 8, 16, 24 hours < >

What should the host club receive?

What will it take to get the average man/woman to
continue there firearms training past the basic NRA class requirement to obtain their CCW/LTC?

A reasonable price for what the course is!!!! Now that being said then it is a personal decision to what that MAGIC number is!!

This is a highly subjective - and volatile - question. The market determines what the price is.

It's real simple - some folks will see the need and shop around for the best and most economical training and to some, any price will be too expensive.

People rationalize all sorts of things according to their individual life-styles and beliefs. Most people are of a reactive personality. Until something happens to them they don't see the need in prevention. Some of the lucky few that survive that lesson then do realize such a need.

However, the more you try to shame folks the more resistence you will incur.

Last edited:
Tony D & All,

Just asking some basic questions. When I look at taking a class I go by the old.

Who
What
When
Why
Where
Cost

FrontSight Nv,4 Day Defensive Handgun, hotel $65 a night for 5 nights, 600-700 RDS $200 etc.

Just trying to get a consensus of what is considered reasonable.

$350 class
$200 ammo
local club 0-60 miles driving
3 day class Fri - Sun away from home
24 hours of training

No Guilt here just some basic questions.

Anyone can fill in the blanks.

Just trying to get a consensus of what is considered reasonable.

$350 class
$200 ammo
local club 0-60 miles driving
3 day class Fri - Sun away from home
24 hours of training

No Guilt here just some basic questions.

Anyone can fill in the blanks.

Reasonable depends on how much an individual makes compared with how much they have to spend to take care of their family! Some of us live paycheck to paycheck and simply cannot justify the cost. Some make enough that cost isn't an issure and ego is the only boundry - and won't show up because they will show themselves for what they really are and not what they portray on the errornet.

And, some have the desire, and a small budget, but are trying to sift through all the bullshit to find out where their money is best spent.

Last edited:
I thought that I would get some sense of what the body of the group here thought was a fair and equittable cost for 2 or 3 days of firearms training.
I have seen on another post here that some of the forum would like to go sky diving as a group. Well its Average cost is between $200- 300 dollars for one jump for each person. Is that a fair fee to jump out of a perfectly good plane with a rented parachute? I dont know? When I use to Jump up in Dover NH it was a lot less than now. And it was freefall.

I welcome any true input to this question.

Last edited:
Generally 3 day courses are difficult for me to make, I'm looking at a 2-day course towards the end of the summer.

The price I'm usually willing to pay is about $100-$125/day, that will vary depending on the course. I also try to keep the courses I have taken within driving distance. Add a couple of nights in a hotel and extensive travel costs(outside of reasonable driving range) & it's gone out of my budget.

The above price is not including ammo.

Generally 3 day courses are difficult for me to make, I'm looking at a 2-day course towards the end of the summer.

The price I'm usually willing to pay is about $100-$125/day, that will vary depending on the course. I also try to keep the courses I have taken within driving distance. Add a couple of nights in a hotel and extensive travel costs(outside of reasonable driving range) & it's gone out of my budget.

The above price is not including ammo.

I'm curious, is this amount all you believe it's worth, or just what you can justify with current finances?

Thanks

Right now that is based on what I can justify within my budget. There is also a local instructor who runs courses that fit within that budget, although they've just restructured and adjusted the prices to the top of that range. I like his training style and he does bring a lot of experience to the table. It remains to be seen whether I'll feel the same about the new owners of the company.

Also, the course that I'm looking at later this year goes beyond the price range stated, but I have a place I can camp nearby which will keep my overall expenses down.

Well we have a start here.

So your saying that $200-$250 Dollars for a 2 day class seems fair plus the known gear, local travel within and hour from home & ammo etc.

To say $300-$375 for a 3 day class would also be acceptable if it could fit the budget and the time needed was available.

Thanks for the response.

I think the trainers should just train us for free, because after all it is for the good of all gun owners!

I think the value is largely dependent on the information/material conveyed
in the class.

If the class is introductory or basic I would expect to pay a bit less for it
than something that teaches advanced skills.

Also would expect different pricing depending on class size vs private (obviously
private is more expensive, but the student gets more time with the instructor helping with an individual's needs).

Cost of ammo is a factor, but something that burns up less than 1000 rounds
is probably fine.

I could see personally not wanting to spend more than a couple hundred
bucks, maybe $250, tops, on a group class, not including ammo and other expenses, per day.

Another thing to get people to buy would be a video montage of different
parts of the class, so people will have a feel for what they're getting for their
money. (maybe a few minute video of an instructor covering like one
subtopic or something).

The problem with this question is there are 900 answers. And a lot of
peoples responses are going to depend on how much they can
afford... so trainers would do well to offer smaller/shorter classes (like an
evening, weekend afternoon, etc) to give people a taste or offer some
people opportunities where they might not have had any. While many
gun enthusiasts allocate a lot of money, there are a lot of people who
want to meet self defense needs and might not even have more than 1 or
2 handguns, and they have a budget to meet because they have other
stuff they -must- spend their money on.

-Mike