How much self defense ammo?

100%

I stocked up 1k rounds of FMJ just so there's some reserve while I slowly stock up JHP defensive ammo. I see no reason why all your reserve ammo shouldn't be defensive ammo. If the idea is that in a SHTF situation you need the ammo for defense, it should probably all be defensive ammo. Only reason to have any FMJ is to keep the total where you want it while you stock up the good stuff. Every time I buy another 100 rounds of JHP I move 100 rounds of FMJ to my "to-be-shot-at-the-range" pile. Ideally I want to eventually get to 1000 rounds of premium defense ammo.

(Skipped four pages ...)

I don't have target ammo and Self defense ammo.

I have a lot of 55 grain FMJBT for my AR , a bit less of 62 grain Penetrator , and a few boxes of tracers somewhere. I have a lot of 230 lead round nose 45acp. And a few ammo cans of 00B for my shotgun.

I carry what I shoot. I reload what I shoot. I about to start casting my own pistol ammo - and surprise - it'll be 230 grain lead ball.

I've thought about this and I agree with myself : I shoot the stuff my guns were built for.

Mind if I ask where? I've been looking to up my stash of RA9TA and can't find any anywhere, for any price.

Believe it or not, my local dealer usually has RA9TA in stock along with most of the rest of the Ranger line. Every once in a while he even has .380 Ranger in stock along with .40 and .45 Ranger, both of which are regularly in stock. If I recall correctly, he sells RA9TA for $27 or $28 per box of 50 rounds. PM me if I can help with your acquisition.

Last edited:
I only shoot what I practice with. So if you're carrying something specific, you should buy a lot of it and shoot it.

Yep. I only shoot Winchester 9mm NATO (except for plinking and shit, that I do with whatever cheap shit ammo i can find). I keep as much of it around as I can afford to.

Back
Top Bottom