how much range time do you give your EDC?

Lmsoul

NES Member
I go to the range with my EDC once or twice a month and shoot between 50 and100 rds. I am curious what folk's routines are for their EDC.

I do clean my EDC after every range session.

I go to the range with my EDC once or twice a month and shoot between 50 and100 rds. I am curious what folk's routines are for their EDC.

I do clean my EDC after every range session.
I don't count rounds when trying to get some good reps in with the EDC. I concentrate more on how well I'm sticking to the plan. If my mind starts to wander and/or I lose focus and find myself just lobbing rounds down haphazardly, I'll stop. I either then switch to my PCC or .22lr lever gun for some less meaningful fun time or leave. But if I feel the EDC rounds are counting towards some good training, I might spend more while I'm focused.

I don't count rounds when trying to get some good reps in with the EDC. I concentrate more on how well I'm sticking to the plan. If my mind starts to wander and/or I lose focus and find myself just lobbing rounds down haphazardly, I'll stop. I either then switch to my PCC or .22lr lever gun for some less meaningful fun time or leave. But if I feel the EDC rounds are counting towards some good training, I might spend more while I'm focused.
For me because rds are so much money now. When I go, I follow a well-thought-out plan on what I want to work on that day. I have different targets for the type of training session I am doing.

For me because rds are so much money now. When I go, I follow a well-thought-out plan on what I want to work on that day. I have different targets for the type of training session I am doing.
Yeah, the current landscape has changed how I shoot as well. I probably should have mentioned that what I wrote was my standard go-to plan. Things have definitely changed in more recent times, but I didn't want to make this a discussion about how one has changed since the shortage. Unless that was the intent of your question, at which point I'd say far more focuses sessions with typically a 50 box or less for each gun I bring.

I've been trying to hit the range once or twice a month. I've been working on drills mostly and trying to keep the round count to 100-150 per session.

Lately I've been loading two mags with two rounds each, keeping one of the mags in my holster and working on double tap, speed reload, double tap.

EDC gets minimum 50 rounds every time I hit the range unless I'm there for some sort of competition.

More often than not it's getting 100 to 150 rounds per trip, pre covid it was 1-2 trips a week.

Yeah, the current landscape has changed how I shoot as well. I probably should have mentioned that what I wrote was my standard go-to plan. Things have definitely changed in more recent times, but I didn't want to make this a discussion about how one has changed since the shortage. Unless that was the intent of your question, at which point I'd say far more focuses sessions with typically a 50 box or less for each gun I bring.
Now that leads me to the bigger questions if you are a new shooter how will get proficient and learn how to use your tool? if you cannot find ammo?

Now that leads me to the bigger questions if you are a new shooter how will get proficient and learn how to use your tool? if you cannot find ammo?
Dry fire. Then dry fire some more.

I like to put on a show/movie, pick a character and then draw and fire when they cut back to that character.

Essentially never. I carry either a P232SL in .380 or a P239 in .40, and have loads for both that I know to function reliably and have good gel data on (i.e. I shot a get block with denim on top of it); I keep these guns clean and well oiled and never shoot them. On the polar opposite end, I have a G19 that I run for practice. I clean it when I feel like it, IF I feel like it, and generally that just means some lube on the rails and a bore snake. It's set up for competition with a red dot, mag well, and compensator, which means that in some ways the manual of arms differs from the DA/SA pistols that I carry (particularly with the heel mag release on the P232). My justification for this practice is that I don't want to put wear on guns that I'll probably never use but which MUST work if I ever need them. If the G19 breaks, worst case I can't complete the stage or the rest of the match and I have parts/can easily buy more if I don't.

I think there are good arguments for practicing with EXACTLY what you'd use in a real SD scenario, but for me that would reduce my overall round count substantially. My subjective choice is for more rounds spent on a platform that encourages a lot of shooting in the belief that the skills translate very well to my carry guns.

Dry fire. Then dry fire some more.

I like to put on a show/movie, pick a character and then draw and fire when they cut back to that character.
I dry fire 3 times a week-- in my opinion, you need time on the range also to understand your firearm.

Essentially never. I carry either a P232SL in .380 or a P239 in .40, and have loads for both that I know to function reliably and have good gel data on (i.e. I shot a get block with denim on top of it); I keep these guns clean and well oiled and never shoot them. On the polar opposite end, I have a G19 that I run for practice. I clean it when I feel like it, IF I feel like it, and generally that just means some lube on the rails and a bore snake. It's set up for competition with a red dot, mag well, and compensator, which means that in some ways the manual of arms differs from the DA/SA pistols that I carry (particularly with the heel mag release on the P232). My justification for this practice is that I don't want to put wear on guns that I'll probably never use but which MUST work if I ever need them. If the G19 breaks, worst case I can't complete the stage or the rest of the match and I have parts/can easily buy more if I don't.

I think there are good arguments for practicing with EXACTLY what you'd use in a real SD scenario, but for me that would reduce my overall round count substantially. My subjective choice is for more rounds spent on a platform that encourages a lot of shooting in the belief that the skills translate very well to my carry guns.
I'm 180 from this approach. There is no way I would spend my time practicing on a completely different platform. If you were carrying a G19 and practicing with a diff G19 or G17, sure. But still why? You can run tens of thousands of rounds through a pistol like a G17, never clean it, never lube it and it will still shoot fine.

I dry fire 3 times a week-- in my opinion, you need time on the range also to understand your firearm.
I agree. I'm just saying the solution to round shortages is dry fire more. And when I say dry fire I mean all types of gun handling. Draw from holster, reloads, house clearing, etc.

I spend more time in mirror making sure I look cool, and practicing one liners. Bring back the 90s one liners
I still think you should get a guy to follow you around playing the sax while you are on the beat.

My edc? It's all I shoot really, unless I am stuntin with one of my meme guns. Clean it? Nah, miss me with that gay shit.

There are TONS of low round count drills out on the internet and Youtube. Really depends on what you want to focus on. Draw (if your range allows it), malfunction, sport/target--just have to google "low round count drills" and pick what you want to do. Last one I saw was Hop from TFB, where I think he made it specifically for "these trying times".

I'm 180 from this approach. There is no way I would spend my time practicing on a completely different platform. If you were carrying a G19 and practicing with a diff G19 or G17, sure. But still why? You can run tens of thousands of rounds through a pistol like a G17, never clean it, never lube it and it will still shoot fine.
A big part of it is that I am extremely comfortable with DA/SA hammer fired guns and greatly prefer the controls on my Sig pistols vs Glocks. My first pistol was a .357 Sig Sig P226 that my step-dad bought me as I went to college which I used to shoot Folger's cans of ammo loaded on a single stage Hornady press. For someone unfamiliar with the manual of arms for a DA/SA pistol, I agree that training with something that different would pose an issue.

Please bear in mind that this practice reflects my preferences, not some universal pronouncement. For folks who like the way that a Glock feels and shoot them well, I agree that there's no reason to add the complexity that my solution requires.

easy to find $10 off coupons with a google search. Not the same as the real thing, but also allows you to do more than stand in a booth.

easy to find $10 off coupons with a google search. Not the same as the real thing, but also allows you to do more than stand in a booth.
With a little research, I might buy this-- Thank you!

I'm trying to do 50rds a week, plus training every other month or every two months or so this year, and I'm trying really hard to only shoot the one handgun all year so I can fine tune my shooting. Bouncing from gun to gun all the time makes it hard to get dialed in.

With a little research, I might buy this-- Thank you!

Skinflint PSA: One can buy the laser module on Amazon for like $40. Just make sure it's a momentary switch that reacts to the striker, not a constant on one that you use to dial in sights/red dot. The app itself is free (at least on Android).

What you don't get is the nifty target/phone holder. It actually does become semi-important, because without the holder, it's kind of a pain rigging the phone to something to hold it just right.

Range..not too often. About once a month. I dont shoot my defensive rounds though, I shoot target ammo. I do shoot my defensive rounds a few times a year though. I also do a ton of dry fire training. Probably every night.

I don't have an EDC, have 4 or so that come along depending. Basically two sizes, pocket and holster, and I have a set for dirty/wet situations that I won't cry about if I get glass resins or dust, muck etc on them, if they get bumped around or gouged up, and a set that I keep clean.

I'm least proficient with the disposable guns because honestly I don't like them :).. once every 6 months on those. Others once a month. But typically when I am taking a shit I will remove and unload what I'm carrying, go through some permutations, same when I remove them from the safe, a quick review and dry fire, so that the last gun I handled is actually what I'm carrying.

Am not am obsessive trainer with pistols, basically prefer to shoot rifles, so that's always 80% of my shooting. Bottom line I carry what I see as appropriate and feel it's far better than nothing.

Back
Top Bottom