• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How much noise from shooting in National Forest gravel pit?

Hell, you'll probably see my obituary one of these days after I dementedly chase down a couple of landscapers with leafblowers at 8 am.

Shhh, quiet, you'll make that old bag Karen Bray excited... [rofl]

-Mike

I live about a mile from the Sig Academy and honestly I don't even hear it anymore. It's background noise. My ears only perk up when they have big blocks at Star or something big at the dragway, or an entire carbine class starts dumping rounds. My buddy was working the AFZ charity match there back in May and I was outside all day and didn't even know it was going on.

But that being said, Sig is a good neighbor because they have nice high berms and its a professional environment and they stop shooting outside at 6pm most days. An unregulated gravel pit full of drunk a**h***s blowing tannerite up at 2am is a totally different story though.

I live in NH now. I hear fireworks all summer overhead that shake the neighborhood. I love it. I guess I am a live and let live person.

Meh, I would rather not have to listen to people blowing fireworks up every night, but I certainly wouldn't do anything about it. I can hate something and still support someone's right to do it haha

@Golddiggie lives maybe 250-300 yards from the PFG range. Its pretty loud in his yard when the rifles are firing. As a batchelor hanging out in my yard, I'd have no problem. However, I wouldn't want to be enjoying the yard with my family.

I live maybe a half mile away in a straight line, and it's not loud, but I can definitely hear it very clearly. Doesn't bother me or my not a gun fan wife in the least.

When I hear gunfire I first make sure it's not some yahoo who doesn't know what a backstop is then I ponder the ways I could join them...

It sounds like Pike might be the seller. Moved from CT to VT five years ago. It also sounds like people have been trying to shut down shooting there for over ten years. Whether you care about the noise or not it sounds like the neighbors do, and they have a different opinion of "open space" than the folks at the forest service. Would they snitch on you for having the incorrect number of junk vehicles in your yard? Maybe, maybe not.

Neighbors Are Fired Up About Target Shooting on National Forest Land

Neighbors take aim at irresponsible shooting in Vt. forest

A Vermont Item - Access to a shooting area

That's the place (and the current owner of the house), thanks for finding the article!

Thanks everyone for insight. We'll definitely give the pit a close look and listen before putting in an offer on the house. Maybe bring a gun and make some of our own noise too, in case nobody is there again when we come back.
Bid low lol.

Bid low lol.

Use it to lower your cost if you can. Use money you save for ammo and join the fun.

I've lived under the flight path for Westover ARB when they had C-5s taking off / landing every 30 minutes in 2002 / 2003, I got used to it. Overseas, we had generators / AC units running LOUD 24/7, we got used to it.

I'd go for it.

This thread is a serious head scratcher for me. Countless other threads about ranges fighting the antis and the town trying to have them shut down. Many times noise is the excuse. Now when it comes to living in some place that has shooting nearby, we judge it by a different standard?

Really?
You can’t see the difference?
The neighbors complaining about gun ranges are the same neighbors who bought their houses next to gun ranges. They complain about noise, even though they knew the gun range was there when they bought their houses. They complain about property values, even though they benefitted from lower costs when they bought their houses.
If I moved next to a gun range, I’d know what I was getting myself into, and live with my decisions. Same as if I moved next to a pig farmer; I wouldn’t complain about the smell.
Also, with those neighbors complaining, the issue for me is more about the fact that they’re trying to limit our ability to take part in an activity that is legal and protected. They’re trying to restrict our freedom, because they don’t like the noise. They are free to move, just as the OP is free to choose to not live next to a range.

Furthermore, who knows what the berms are like (or if they exist really at all). I also wouldn’t be out on a limb to suggest that perhaps the shooting pit is treated with a little less respect than an established range, as far as trash, alcohol use (mixed in with shooting), and as previously pointed out-tannerite.
Lastly, I love shooting. But I personally wouldn’t move next to a range - official or not. You can view that as ironic or hypocritical, but we all get to decide where we move and what we want from our homes and properties. As somebody else pointed out, it’s one thing to love racing and it’s another to live next to a track.
For the OP, I think you’d be crazy to move there.

Last edited:
"When we moved up here, I had no idea this was here," said Pike, who moved to Vermont from Connecticut and built his home near the pit in 2013. "I would not have moved here had I known."
We have BBQ Becky, then Permit Patty, and Burrito Bob. Now... well, "Permit" is already taken, but Mr. Pike needs a monitor.

He sounds like exactly the kind of person that has ruined Vermont.

To be honest, this issue sounds a lot like "this is why we can't have nice things". It used to be a nice place for people to go shoot, but idiots had to take things too far.

I live in an area where many neighbors shoot on their own land. Often times one will be shooting and another neighbor will empty a mag rapid fire as a greeting which is then answered by a third. We get a kick out of it every time.

I live in an area where many neighbors shoot on their own land. Often times one will be shooting and another neighbor will empty a mag rapid fire as a greeting which is then answered by a third. We get a kick out of it every time.

It’s freedoms mating call...

I would personally find somewhere else, having not seen the land. Way less concerned about the noise (within a mile or so from three ranges and a gravel pit where the local pd plays with their big guns) than I am about the way the place looks, said users being apparent pigs with zero regard for the land.....and likely be extension zero regard for anything else in the area. Ron

Back
Top Bottom