How much longer will the ammo shortage last

a certain shop that shall go nameless stores a supply in back and takes out only a couple of boxes at a time to simulate a shortage. I will say they are in or near attleboro. I live on cape and witnessed this when I was out and found these bridges and wondered where they led to.

A lot of shops self ration, this isn't news. They do it so people don't clean out their whole inventory in one shot. If they left case lots out someone would buy it all.

-Mike

I picked up another 500 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags yesterday at a WalMart. Right from the stocking cart. Never made it to the shelves.

Bastard. I'm jealous! What was the price if I may ask?

I've had it with this. I'm camping out at my local Wal-Mart. I'm gonna beat you guys to the punch one of these days. [sad2]

my time value of money is not worth "hunting" for .22 at 6,7,8 cents a round. Buy bulk at 10 cents, and call it a day. I could care less about a few cents a round when I blow stupid cash on other things like $4 coffee every day.
My situation is the opposite. Being retired and relatively poor, my time is only worth about $3.00/hr on average. That would suggest that I can visit a whole lot of Walmarts. Every last cent I can save is important to me.

The problem is that gasoline is over $3.50/gallon and Walmart stores are not exactly next to one another. And unless you hit them just right, most Walmart stores won't have any desirable ammo to sell you anyway. The Walmart ammo search engines can help, but lately they haven't been all that accurate. That said, I eventually manage to find the ammo I need... most of it anyway. And I never resell any of it. Beyond my reserve stash, I use it all.

And for coffee, I get the $1.00 special (hot or iced) at McDonald's. [grin]

My situation is the opposite. Being retired and relatively poor, my time is only worth about $3.00/hr on average. That would suggest that I can visit a whole lot of Walmarts. Every last cent I can save is important to me.

The problem is that gasoline is over $3.50/gallon and Walmart stores are not exactly next to one another. And unless you hit them just right, most Walmart stores won't have any desirable ammo to sell you anyway. The Walmart ammo search engines can help, but lately they haven't been all that accurate. That said, I eventually manage to find the ammo I need... most of it anyway. And I never resell any of it. Beyond my reserve stash, I use it all.

If you become green there is a thread in the members section that you will like.

Got winchester white box 22 today...525 round box for $35. A bit steep but I shoot it often with my boy and am running low. Its coming back.

Absolutely, different strokes for different folks. I'm stuck slaving in an idiot suit 5 out of 7 days behind a desk, so on the weekend all I want to do is run to the closest store to find ammo. If I have to pay 10 cents a round for bulk, so be it considering how little free time I have.

I always forget that McDonalds has coffee. I used to do DUnks, but their coffee became flavored water. There's also a convenience factor given there's a Starbucks accross the street, plus I appreciate their stance on 2a.

If you become green there is a thread in the members section that you will like.
Oh, I expect to do that anyway, but the ammo threads never helped me even once before they were moved behind the pay wall. It always tended to be too little info too late... or just much too far away. [thinking]

my time value of money is not worth "hunting" for .22 at 6,7,8 cents a round. Buy bulk at 10 cents, and call it a day. I could care less about a few cents a round when I blow stupid cash on other things like $4 coffee every day.
This is the way I felt about a lot of things that weren't very improtant -- like the $2.50 cup of coffee, until the money stopped coming in.

This, sadly.

I never thought I'd be in this position. Never.

But I have hope I can turn things around. I just wish I could see the light at the end of the tunnel already.

BTW, just visited relatively free state Michigan. Gander Mountain had pretty much all "shortage" calibers in stock (e.g. 5.56, 223, 22lr, .45, .40, 9mm) as well as all the typical hunting rifle rounds and lots of shotgun shells. Dick's had all those same calibers in stock, but also has the box limits like in Mass. Meijer - which is a Walmart competitor in middle America, had an empty case other than shotgun shells, which were in plentiful supply.

While they were pretty well stocked in comparison to what I am used to seeing, I was amused to find that the first overheard conversation at Gander Mountain was about ammo availability.

I've been ar to find .223 .45 for my self fairly easy . Been a mix of Tula and wolf.

Bought my brother some 9mm Tula yesturday . It's out there but you mite have to check a few shops.

I havnt had any luck finding brass .223/5.56 at a decent price or bulk.

I just bought 650 rounds of federal .22 and I don't even own a .22 lol .

A lot of shops self ration, this isn't news. They do it so people don't clean out their whole inventory in one shot. If they left case lots out someone would buy it all.

-Mike

i understand they self ration, but they also limit on amount of boxes you can buy

There will continue to be 'shortages' like the TSA buying millions + of 357SIG, why the hell do they 'need' to be armed. I would never feel safe in an Airport again with 380lb Sheniqua metal detecting my brass ball$. I don't like being felt up. I dont smoke dope, my firearm will be locked in a check on etc etc. Just more police state at the TSA. Although I believe that the TSA will use all that ammo to train the employees but then they will need to buy more in order to have their weapons loaded.
Don't forget all the ammo Homeland Security is buying over the next years. Once they have their order delivered ammo MAY come back down. You have to think how many more employees ammo manufactures have hired lately. They don't exactly want to lay all them off because the fudds like you and I will keep buying it.
History has proved that there are up's and downs, there will be a wack-job to ruin it for us and that will spark another anti-gun revolution and the shortages will happen again.
And don't forget that Obama recently signed that NATO crap about importing/ exporting anything firearms related. I tried to get a 1913 rail accessory shipped to an APO in Iraq, I wanted to modify it so I could mount my GoPro on my 240........

And if you haven't seen accurate news about that crap in Syria how all those kids died, did you notice how the chemical weapons plants are guarded by Russian troops. Somebody is trying to stop a war over there, yet our govt is trying to start one... keep your eyes on this.
And did I see right that the NYSE got hacked?

I hit 2 local places today and 2 big boxes. All four places had 9mm, NONE of the four had any 22lr, nevermind minimags.

I didn't see a shortage today when I traveled around. Just left Dicks in Dartmouth MA and they were stacked with everything. Case was full and additional stock sitting on the floor. They had 350rd value packs of 9mm and others. Anyone who follows the ammo threads and does not mind driving should not have an issue finding ammo.

Good stuff guys I have been going to Wally World and a few local shops either out or all they they have left is top dollar boxes. In not saying I'm short on ammo just can't afford to go to the range that often and I also have a .38 that's not a plus or special there hard to find and expensive. With that said I hope to go out tonight and find some .40 9mm .22 and .38 flint only has one box of .38 left. If anyone knows another place that has it near Fall River let me know. Thanks. Ed

Walmart in dartmouth has .40 every once in a while....

Back
Top Bottom