How much longer will the ammo shortage last

Might not be a 'shortage' but lots of places still have prices like it is.

Some oddball calibers are tough, nearly out of stock everywhere, or crazy priced. But it is what it is for now. Glad I am not playing the 20/20 hindsight game though...

I guess it all depends on your definition of an ammo shortage. Human nature seems to be at play here. I vividly remember a guy at Walmart recently snagging the last three boxes of .22LR on the shelf and turning to me with a smile and the words "no ammo shortage for me" or something like that... meaning he had gotten his and that's all that mattered. Well, good for him but the shelves behind him were as bare as old Mother Hubbard's cupboard.

So is that an ammo shortage or not? It wasn't to him. But it sure as heck was to the folks behind him.

Depends really what your looking for and if your willing to drive to pick it up.

A few weeks ago I picked up 1K rounds(unlimited at the time) of .308 at Cabelas in Maine. I was looking around for some NATO 5.56(XM855) for a buddy and Cabelas has it for $10.99 a box at the moment, I did the live chat with them and they said it was unlimited so he's pretty happy.

Good stuff guys I have been going to Wally World and a few local shops either out or all they they have left is top dollar boxes. In not saying I'm short on ammo just can't afford to go to the range that often and I also have a .38 that's not a plus or special there hard to find and expensive. With that said I hope to go out tonight and find some .40 9mm .22 and .38 flint only has one box of .38 left. If anyone knows another place that has it near Fall River let me know. Thanks. Ed

Couple weeks ago Cabelas (edit) Maine had good stock of everything but 22LR. Just returned from a trip through 6 Southern states. Checked the usual outlets and no 22LR anywhere except oddball stuff like tracers at $20 a box.

For all the @ssh@ts grabbing it all up to resell & gouge- when supply normalizes good luck competing with Walmart et al!

On a positive note, I'll bet that if any NES'er had a dire need for a specific caliber, help could be found.

Last edited:
You know what is crazy...

Cabellas and Dicks charge more for WWB in 5.56 than I bought some Green Tip elsewear. $13 a box of 20.

If I wanted to save money I'd shoot the Green Tip!

I only have 10,000 rounds of .22 left so I am feeling nervous. My SHTF survival plan was to shoot squirrels with .22 and eat them. I guess i should look into air rifles.

Seriously why no .22 anywhere? Its cheap so people buy as much of it as they see it available?
Your doing it wrong.daryl.jpg

I try to refuse to pay the high prices at the local gun shop. Until I can stop at walmart on the way to the range and buy what I need I will refuse to believe the shortage is over.

Compared to some people I have a lotta lotta ammo already. But watching this craziness I wish I had tripled the pain when I was stocking up. A whole lot one day , doesn't look like too much on another day.

There was a time when I though to I was good if I had a few hundred rounds put away.

a certain shop that shall go nameless stores a supply in back and takes out only a couple of boxes at a time to simulate a shortage. I will say they are in or near attleboro. I live on cape and witnessed this when I was out and found these bridges and wondered where they led to.

Compared to some people I have a lotta lotta ammo already. But watching this craziness I wish I had tripled the pain when I was stocking up. A whole lot one day , doesn't look like too much on another day.

There was a time when I though to I was good if I had a few hundred rounds put away.
+1.
Not sure I'll ever have "enough" again. I don't want to have the number or rounds at home dictate how often I shoot, or how many rounds I put down range.

Last edited:
Just want to see what everyone thinks my gun shop he thinks this time next year it will be all set.i don't think so I think this is going to be a long haul situation.

6-12 Months for availability, almost never on prices. Prices may come down slightly when every store isn't selling their entire stock of 9mm/.22lr within hours of recieving it, but not to what they originally were.

The best time to buy is when the initial over-stock happens. When the demand dies down enough that ammo isn't flying off the shelves like absolute craziness. I imagine SOME stores will discount ammo, especially in bulk, but that will be very temporary.

I found when my local Walmart gets there ammo delivery. So have a few others, if you go in on a saturday at 9 am you will be S.O.L.

Why would anyone buy tons of stock when the prices are pretty much set to tank? Would you as a business owner buy stock now and risk getting hammered if prices continue the downward trend?

Man it must be a where you are thing or most shops are just holding out for the 2014 price increase. So far in the past 6 months 4 shops around me have had very little of selection and still have limits. Walmart forget it. Must be insiders work because there is never anything on the shelf.
Wolf ammo is not to be seen anymore, Tula yes but no wolf. Everyone says JUST RELOAD! That's fine maybe you have not needed to restocked yet. When you do and you find powder or primers please call me. I have powder and ammo on back order since nov2012! I will wait for the back order because once 2014 hits the price jump will not be fun.

Man it must be a where you are thing or most shops are just holding out for the 2014 price increase. So far in the past 6 months 4 shops around me have had very little of selection and still have limits. Walmart forget it. Must be insiders work because there is never anything on the shelf.
Wolf ammo is not to be seen anymore, Tula yes but no wolf. Everyone says JUST RELOAD! That's fine maybe you have not needed to restocked yet. When you do and you find powder or primers please call me. I have powder and ammo on back order since nov2012! I will wait for the back order because once 2014 hits the price jump will not be fun.

See post 52, ammo is a game. Looking for ammo on a saturday is the same as getting a sticker for the car on the last day of the month at 5:00 pm.

Let's face it - right now there are two types out there. There are those who make copious amounts of time to hunt and scavenge and learn to game the system to get all the ammo. Then there are those that are trying to fit some gun time in with the rest of life and try and buy ammo when they can find the time & place. The first get all the ammo, the second, not so much. There is plenty of ammo out there, it is just in the hands of the the first - and will continue to be that way until their collective behavior changes (for whatever reason). Not a judgement call - just how I see it playing out.

Let's face it - right now there are two types out there. There are those who make copious amounts of time to hunt and scavenge and learn to game the system to get all the ammo. Then there are those that are trying to fit some gun time in with the rest of life and try and buy ammo when they can find the time & place. The first get all the ammo, the second, not so much. There is plenty of ammo out there, it is just in the hands of the the first - and will continue to be that way until their collective behavior changes (for whatever reason). Not a judgement call - just how I see it playing out.
This^X1

See post 52, ammo is a game. Looking for ammo on a saturday is the same as getting a sticker for the car on the last day of the month at 5:00 pm.

Once.... ONCE, a couple months ago, I went to Walmart on a Saturday at noon. EVERYTHING was gone except 9mm. I bought 3 boxes of them and there was still more boxes there. Never again [sad]

Not disagreeing with you at all, but I would put it more simply: Those who are willing to put in the time and effort to find ammo generally get the ammo. Those who still think they can find ammo with little or no effort generally don't get the ammo. No real surprise there.

The only thing you haven't factored in is the money factor. Those folks with big money to spend will almost always get their ammo. Those folks on a tight budget may succeed, but they will generally need more time, effort and patience.

This all fits nicely into the retired vs. employed thing. The retired have less money but have more time to devote to ammo hunting. The employed have more money to spend but generally don't have as much free time.

So there you have it. My conclusion: You either need the time or you need the money. And if you have both, you have no ammo shortage problem at all. [wink]

So there you have it. My conclusion: You either need the time or you need the money. And if you have both, you have no ammo shortage problem at all. [wink]

And if you have the time, you can effectively sell it to those with the money by reselling ammo. The people on NES who don't understand economics will pillory you for it, those who do will buy or not depending on what having ammo is worth to them.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

my time value of money is not worth "hunting" for .22 at 6,7,8 cents a round. Buy bulk at 10 cents, and call it a day. I could care less about a few cents a round when I blow stupid cash on other things like $4 coffee every day.

Back
Top Bottom