How much is too much for .22 ammo?

Are you referring to the trade in section at KTP? I was hoping to find something I could use but only saw elephant gun ammo. Some of the pricing is on par with Dicks with maybe a few deals but definitely not worth a drive if you aren't from around there already.

The customer service was spot on as well. The second floor staff was all tied up and a guy who was already clocked out and packed up to go home went out of his way to help me.
I will definitely be going here more often. Might just start buying ammo less often and save it to go up there and carpool with other shooters.

Yeah the service there has been great. I went up this past Friday and chatted with the guy at the reloading counter for a while. Ended up walking out with 6lbs of powder and 1k primers.

I havn't seen .22 in this area in more than 5 months. I still have a small supply,but it's dwindling quickly.
I've set my price for purchase of .22 @$.07 or about $3.50/ 50. Now I just have to make what I have last
until I find some affordable .22, hoping some turns up soon.

..........................Jack

It is a tourist trap and often not worth bothering with it. My philosophy on it is mainly "look but don't buy, IF its not too crowded".

I only ever find myself stopping there in the late fall/winter/early spring. Thats sort of the off season. Avoid that entire exit/town like the plague in the summer time, good lord, I made the mistake of attempting to stop there with a friend who had never been in July and it was the definition of full retard. They have a pretty big lot and there was not a space to be found. From the time we looked at eachother and said "F this" it still took 30 min to get back on 95N due to the traffic. Just a sea of MA plates, yuppies from the city going to hang out in York or Oqonquit.

I'm into almost every type of outdoor/firearms related gear imaginable so I can still easily kill an hour + looking at stuff. The volume of firearms can be interesting, I like to browse the long gun racks to see whats around and if you want to fondle a specific gun, its usually there. Ammo is hit or miss but always pricey, never walked out of there with anything close to a "score". Id say the place is mostly an avoid but can be interesting if not crowded.

As for Shooters Outpost, its hard to argue with their stock of ammo and ammo prices. They are a little too into enforcing MA law, do a search for that can of worms, which irks me but not enough to totally avoid. The gun people upstairs are generally pretty helpful and will let you look at whatever you want. The feel is a bit polished, the long gun racks have everything locked in place so no real fondling as compared to Rileys up the street. I still get the overly suspicious feel in Shooters from many of their staff or more likely their management. I want to like Rileys more but while the ammo supply seemed to run about neck and neck shortly after Newtown, Shooters has far and away pulled into the lead for regularly having what I want in stock. No contest, the past 5 or so times Ive stopped looking for ammo at Rileys (I go up there alot) ive left saying "why did I bother?". Shooters is the opposite 98% of the time I leave feeling like I got a good deal.

Friend also mentioned Riley's if that's what he meant by the other store "right down the street". He said the guys are nicer. Buddy didn't mention the place until after I got home. Maybe it isn't open Sunday's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friend also mentioned Riley's if that's what he meant by the other store "right down the street". He said the guys are nicer. Buddy didn't mention the place until after I got home. Maybe it isn't open Sunday's?

They're open on Sundays. You should definitely stop by the next time you're in the area. I love Rileys. It feels more like an old fashioned gun shop to me. Really decent selection and lots of odds and ends piled up in different spots to dig through.

I have recently seen .22LR by the case (well, case of 325 round bricks) for 0.10/round, available mail order (do not ask me where, I won't say).

So at least availability is starting to come back, and with 'supply' side of the law of supply and demand, hopefully we'll see prices back down around 0.06 a round within a few months.

I have recently seen .22LR by the case (well, case of 325 round bricks) for 0.10/round, available mail order (do not ask me where, I won't say).

So at least availability is starting to come back, and with 'supply' side of the law of supply and demand, hopefully we'll see prices back down around 0.06 a round within a few months.

I know we can't name names, but a website I frequent has had .22lr for about .10/round pretty constantly since at least this past may. They sold out once that I saw, but restocked immediately. I placed a large ammo order back in may and and ordered some. From that point on I pretty much have been using that as my "max price" line and I have been able to find it locally for less most of the time, it just takes a little effort by calling places or stopping in weekly.

I just bought 325 round "bricks" of Federal for $15.99 at Riley's. 2 box limit.

500 round brick? or 325 round bulk box? Bricks are usually 500 rounds in 10 each 50 round packs. You mean a bulk pack? Sounds pickey but for some guys it is important......guys that are competitive prefer bricks because the bullets are packed in plastic trays individually and they feel there is less "damage" to the projectile that way and are therefore more accurate. I'm not one of the fussy ones.......just pointing out the dif between a brick and a bulk pack.

Last edited:
They had the Federal Automatch 325 rd bricks for $15.99 when I was there last Friday.

Yeah 5 cents a round is much more reasonable. That blows I jsut paid $29.99 for the same box at FS guns........gas and time is a factor and I'd have spent more than $15 on gas getting up there and back. Good on Rileys for for 5 cents a round though!!!!!! I like that shop.....next time I'm up that way I hope they still have some......my kids 10-22 target gun likes that stuff.

Yeah 5 cents a round is much more reasonable. That blows I jsut paid $29.99 for the same box at FS guns........gas and time is a factor and I'd have spent more than $15 on gas getting up there and back. Good on Rileys for for 5 cents a round though!!!!!! I like that shop.....next time I'm up that way I hope they still have some......my kids 10-22 target gun likes that stuff.

They had at least 12 cases (5k to a case? not sure) of Federal and CCI swamp people 22 on the floor. Shooters also had quite a bit of CCI, Federal, and Norma 22.

They had at least 12 cases (5k to a case? not sure) of Federal and CCI swamp people 22 on the floor. Shooters also had quite a bit of CCI, Federal, and Norma 22.

Too bad I got shit going on this weekend.......or I'd go up for the "cycle" to stock up! SOunds like the prices are getting more "un rediculous" too.

Place I usually get it from (haven't bought any in a while) just went from $27.50/ea for a Federal 325 pack to $31.00/ea.... $0.08 to $0.10. I am stingy and won't buy any because even $0.08/rd sucks, even if it is "reasonable" in today's conditions. Federal in my mind should still be $0.04 or $0.05/rd and until I finally come around I'll just keep rationing what I have. I'm sure I will buy some in the future but I just can't get myself to yet.

I've been getting 22 at roughly $.06-$.08/round for my last few purchases. My most recent purchase was my best, when I was able to get Federal Automatch for $.06/round shipped.

It's just good to see it coming around again.
Also good to see at least the big boxes aren't really gouging for it.

I think I'm around 6,000 rounds, I need to go shooting.

Well four cents is $20.00 a brick that is the most it should ever cost for high velocity run of the mill ammo.

You have a point. So......you either have a stockpile that you finished building 2 years ago or you don't shoot much 22lr then [grin]

Place I usually get it from (haven't bought any in a while) just went from $27.50/ea for a Federal 325 pack to $31.00/ea.... $0.08 to $0.10. I am stingy and won't buy any because even $0.08/rd sucks, even if it is "reasonable" in today's conditions. Federal in my mind should still be $0.04 or $0.05/rd and until I finally come around I'll just keep rationing what I have. I'm sure I will buy some in the future but I just can't get myself to yet.

Yeah I noticed that with that particular vendor. Their prices on all other ammo are quite good except 22.

At rileys 500 round american eagle bricks were 21 dollars, fed auto match 325 loose were 16 dollars. CCI swamp people 300 round packs were 21 dollars.

They had lots of it.

Havent bought 22 in a long time because it was over priced.....like 4 seasons idiot pricing.

I picked up a bunch this time up as the stupidity seems to be easing.

Shooters was five dollars a pack higher on cci. After that i didnt bother looking at anthing else.

Last edited:
At rileys 500 round american eagle bricks were 21 dollars, fed auto match 325 loose were 16 dollars. CCI swamp people 300 round packs were 21 dollars.

They had lots of it.

Havent bought 22 in a long time because it was over priced.....like 4 seasons idiot pricing.

Shooters was five dollars a pack higher on cci. After that i didnt bother looking at anthing else.

Yeah that's what I'm getting at, it seems like supply appears to be coming back up, and hopefully that means prices to drop within next 6 months.

They had lots of it.

Wonder what the chances of having any left this weekend...Would like to take a ride and get some as well as other calibers.

Black Friday at dicks always the best place to get ammo for a great price... last year was buy 1 (500 brick) get second half off. This year was limit one for 40%off.

whacko, you don't get out much, do you? For future reference, 375 round "brick" implies a non-500 round container. See, it's all in the quotation marks. One of the great things about the English language is you can communicate with modified grammar, syntax and other structures with most people, most of the time.

whacko, you don't get out much, do you? For future reference, 375 round "brick" implies a non-500 round container. See, it's all in the quotation marks. One of the great things about the English language is you can communicate with modified grammar, syntax and other structures with most people, most of the time.

Someone piss in your oatmeal this morning or what? I have never heard anyone refer to a 333, 325, or 222 round loose packed box of 22lr as a brick.......only as a bulk pack.....and a brick is the larger box of co-packed 50 or 40 round boxes. I took difference to how you referred to the package you were talking about in a respectful and thought out manner.....for a specific reason based on some shooters opinions of accuracy. You may want to consider the same in return.

My take on this:

this is a brick.....it looks like.....a brick.....there are 10 smaller boxes of 50 rounds each with the ammo kept separate by little trays:images.jpg

This is a bulk pack......the ammo is lose:

imagesRBT2B9SI.jpg

That is how I have always seen it.......and heard it discussed. My intention in my initial statement was to point out that for some discerning shooters this makes a difference.........I did not make my statement to urinate further into your hot breakfast cereal.....however if this discussion has your panties further into a bunch that is all on you......but a word of advice that may help you out......"the sticky side goes against your panties". Peace out!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom