• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How much is too much for .22 ammo?

anything over $0.08 I leave em on the shelf except cci minimags. i'll go up to a dime apiece on them

doesn't look like the .22 shortage is doing any better than the unemployment rate, but I'd rather stay away from the range than be gouged on ammo

edit: I should have said go to the range less as I have managed to stockpile a large cache of .22's

Last edited:
I have not seen a brick in well over a year (except under a spotlight at the gun shows). Once in awhile I will catch a break like yesterday... Managed to pick up 50 round bxs at Wally World for 2.47/box. Generally won't pay more than 10 cents unless I have nothing to shoot.

A nickel a round? And you are complaining? Please share the source! My baby girl is getting her first rifle soon and I'm trying to find a way to feed it.

When she starts texting take away the 22 & give her a BP, she will go through a brick in a blink of an eye. The only thing that slows my daughter (14 y.o.) down is when she stops to bitch about the 10 round mags for the S&W 15-22 [laugh]

I would pay .10 a round or less.

I find ammo all day long for around .5 though right at any Walmart.

CCI mini mags are .8 a round, bulk stuff is right around .5 or .6 a round, etc etc.

Deals are there, just gotta look.

I have a real hard time imagining paying more than 8.5 cents a round. I stocked up pre-Sandy Hook, so luckily I don't have to--yet.

I end up finding them here and there for about 10c a round, which is the maximum I am willing to pay, I shoot them a lot, several hundred a week.
It is my target acquisition practice.

Distributors and dealers don't get this privilege and get charged "market rate" whenever they buy, thus huge price variations between a WM and a LGS. FWIW, a WM management employee once told me (some years ago) that WM makes ~30% on ammo.

Len, While this is true, I don't think it is the main/dominant reason for the lions share of the price differences you see in the market. I think most of this is caused by mid level distributors, and in some cases the LGS's own padding, either as an attempt to make extra profit or as a sort of tamping mechanism to ration ammo. Yes, right now the mids are probably paying more than Wal Mart pays, that is very true, but it definitely isn't the difference between $25 and $70 for the same brick.

-Mike

Anyone paying more than $.10/round is retarded. Yeah, I called you retarded. I actually think that more than .03/round is retarded, but I raised the bar due to the circumstances.

I use most of my 22 for Steel Challenge matches. I have enough stockpiled for this season, maybe next but not enough for practice. The current prices are too much for me so I have resorted to "Airsoft" pistols for practice.

I am now using an Airsoft copy of the 1911 match gun (with 22 conversion) that I use in Rimfire Open Division. The pistol with scope mount cost $141 and will function with CO2 or Green Gas as sold. I converted the pistol to use compressed air (more consistency than the previously mentioned propellants and less cost) because I have a compressor in my garage.

This gun groups about 1 in for three shots off hand at 20 feet, which is the length of the range in my garage. Using reduced size targets that I have made out of 16 ga sheet metal I can duplicate most of the Steel Challenge stages and practice at my leisure in the garage for $.0016 per shot, or six shots per penny. The only problems I have now are remembering when to quit (I can disappear for hours at a time in the garage) and wiping the SE grin off of my face.

Shooters Outpost is stocked with 500 brown bricks of Federal high velocity 40 grain 22 ammo. $24.99 limit one brick.

That may be exactly what's happening. Wal-Mart is big enough to tell ATK to take their price hike and shove it, or risk never doing business with Wal-Mart again. ATK will do a cost-benefit analysis to see what the impact of losing the Wal-Mart account will do to them.

In a "normal" market walmart could absolutely do that. But right now we are talking about tiny little golden ****ing unicorns. Every retailer out there is screaming for supply right now. If they dropped their contract with walmart today they would have all the stock they were going to sell to wallmart sold by the end of the day.

Hell it isn't even stock, it is just a contractual agreement to provide stock. That is even easier to deal with from their angle. Now instead of shipping the next X# of rounds produced to walmart they ship 1/2X to cabellas and 1/2X to bass pro or whoever.

They are exactly where they want to be on the S&D curve. They know, without question, that they will sell any inventory they can produce the same day they produce it.

I just was at bobs gun and archery in webster wed and he had remington 500 ct bricks at $25.99 he had i think close to 200 bricks. bob is great he doesnt price gouge his customers like other shops.

Its only expensive if you think it is otherwise buy it up, shoot it up and dont worry about what it costs

Sent from the blind

I've paid $0.10 a round when I needed, but I am newer to the game so did not have a supply built up at the time. I have since been able to build up a bit of a supply and now only stock up if I can find it $0.07 or less a round.

just was at kittery trading Post and saw a big sign in the ammo aisle :

"50 round boxes of .22 for only $11.99, NO LIMIT! "

Im sure this,is Way over 10X what they paid for it,

I know KTP is known for being expensive, but this level of price gouging is disgusting.

They had the cans of the cheapo 556 for $200... Which is sort of steep given I can get 500 rounds down the street for a couple cents less a round, but I really need the cans to keep my safe organized at this point, so I went for it. (If you include the price fo the can it sort of evens out really, close enough.) After ME sales tax? F that place, lol. I'll shop the smaller guys in southern NH, or just give my local guy the business.

I'd rather pay a touch more and give the guy down the street the revenue than save a couple cents a round and pay a chain store. At this point it'd have to be a killer deal before I just gave the money to my local guy or southern NH who has 500 & 1000 cases for sale.

Speaking of which, first of the month is almost here, which means pay of the Discover and get another case, lol.

Ouch.

Most I ever paid was this summer at the new Cape Cod Gun Works, $60 for Fiocchi copper plated 500 round box. 1) I had not seen any in a while at that time, #2) I didn't mind at all "donating" to the new shop in town, I'm sure they have bills to pay.

I think it depends on how much you have too. I won't pay anything for Golden Bullets or crap ammo, no matter how cheap.

I prefer to spend $35 to $50 a brick and get the good stuff.

Anyone paying more than $.10/round is retarded. Yeah, I called you retarded. I actually think that more than .03/round is retarded, but I raised the bar due to the circumstances.

Where are you finding 22lr at $.03? Problem is I like to shoot with my son.....we go through 400-500 rounds a month. I've posted this on here before though......I've been able to find enough even during all this shortage BS and never paid more than $.07 a round. In fact I landed a bucket of bullets last summer ($1400) rounds for $67 so at sub $.05 a round I thought that was a good price.......yeah its not the best ammo but I use a revolver and a lever gun so no problems with feeding and it works great for hitting water bottles and spinner targets at the range. If I was running low and needed some for the range to shoot with my son it would have to be more than $10 a round for me to say no.

Just went to KTP yesterday thinking it was going to be like a "country" clothing store with just over the border cheap prices on guns. NOPE!
Clothing was way too pricey. it was more like a yuppie hiking store. You'd be hard pressed to find a flannel under $50 there. I was hoping they would have their own store brand like Redhead is to Bass Pro. Ammo was no better than Dicks for Winchester White Box .45acp. They are rediculous and I was kinda PO'ed I made that drive.

Right when I was about to give up, friend recommended I make the trip to Shooters Outpost in Hooksett NH. WELL WORTH IT! Good thing is they are open on sundays till 5pm.

Bought:
1000 Rounds 9mm CCI Blazer bulk box on sale. $239
400 rounds .45acp American Eagle. If I recall correctly it was $43 or $45 per hundred
2x 300 round boxes CCI .22 AR Tactical at about $24-$25 a box (Limit one per person so bring your wife or GF in)
200 rounds Bulk Federal 12GA Birdshot normal price $7-8 boxes but you get 8 for the price of 7 boxes in bulk
All without tax!

Ill correct those prices as soon as I get home but I would recommend going to them instead. I was relieved my drive up north was not in vain. Avoid KTP like the plague! It is a tourist trap!

just was at kittery trading Post and saw a big sign in the ammo aisle :

"50 round boxes of .22 for only $11.99, NO LIMIT! "

Im sure this,is Way over 10X what they paid for it,

I know KTP is known for being expensive, but this level of price gouging is disgusting.

The cheapest I have seen any 22lr since 2011 is CMP army surplus stuff was just shy of .02 cent per round shipped. few months later it was bumped to 3.5 cents per round. I have not seen a 500 round brick for less than 30$ since 2012

Id ANY ONE IS GETTING current production 22lr of decent quality for .03 per round you should buy a shit ton of it. You could pad your retirement pretty well just selling at the club at breakfast @ 2x more.

Last edited:
J

Avoid KTP like the plague! It is a tourist trap!

Pretty much, yeah. I've been there a few times in the last year and I always check the large bin of random ammo. Last month I found surplus 7.62x51 Santa Barbara (Spanish -made stuff that is good quality) 20 round boxes for $10/ea. They were all sealed boxes and the rounds were clean and shot perfectly. 50¢/rnd is not bad for good surplus 7.62 NATO these days so keep an eye out if you go there again. You may find something you can use in that "trade-in ammo" bin I guess you'd call it.

The cheapest I have seen any 22lr since 2011 is CMP army surplus stuff was just shy of .02 cent per round shipped. few months later it was bumped to 3.5 cents per round. I have not seen a 500 round brick for less than 30$ since 2012

Id ANY ONE IS GETTING current production 22lr of decent quality for .03 per round you should buy a shit ton of it. You could pad your retirement pretty well just selling at the club at breakfast @ 2x more.

Cheapest bricks I've seen this year was $24.99 for 500 rd Federal HV 22 at Shooters Outpost back in March or April.

But they've had blazer 50 rd boxes for $2.15 off and on this year. Made sure to buy those.

Pretty much, yeah. I've been there a few times in the last year and I always check the large bin of random ammo. Last month I found surplus 7.62x51 Santa Barbara (Spanish -made stuff that is good quality) 20 round boxes for $10/ea. They were all sealed boxes and the rounds were clean and shot perfectly. 50¢/rnd is not bad for good surplus 7.62 NATO these days so keep an eye out if you go there again. You may find something you can use in that "trade-in ammo" bin I guess you'd call it.
Are you referring to the trade in section at KTP? I was hoping to find something I could use but only saw elephant gun ammo. Some of the pricing is on par with Dicks with maybe a few deals but definitely not worth a drive if you aren't from around there already.

Cheapest bricks I've seen this year was $24.99 for 500 rd Federal HV 22 at Shooters Outpost back in March or April.

But they've had blazer 50 rd boxes for $2.15 off and on this year. Made sure to buy those.

The customer service was spot on as well. The second floor staff was all tied up and a guy who was already clocked out and packed up to go home went out of his way to help me.
I will definitely be going here more often. Might just start buying ammo less often and save it to go up there and carpool with other shooters.

Back
Top Bottom