How much is enough?

I think I had a decent stockpile of necessary items going into this. But I keep 'topping off' my short term food. Even buying what you'd eat anyway, when do you stop? Not knowing when this could be over or how bad it could get,...when you have no more space?

How are other folks dealing with this?

I think I had a decent stockpile of necessary items going into this. But I keep 'topping off' my short term food. Even buying what you'd eat anyway, when do you stop? Not knowing when this could be over or how bad it could get,...when you have no more space?

How are other folks dealing with this?
We're good on most food supplies, paper goods, cleaners and bleach, etc... but still have a problem with fresh meat and sometimes eggs too. We buy good fresh lean ground beef whenever we can find it, but we aren't long-term freezer people so... so each package must be cooked and consumed relatively quickly. For now, that means more frequent shopping than usual.

What's available seems to vary a lot area to area and market to market. We are just hoping that the fresh meat situation doesn't get worse.

Short answer...you don't. You can slow down or ramp up your accumulation based on your view of the urgency of the shortage of goods.

As an example, as a religion, Mormons are told to keep a year's worth of food for their family stored, with additional stores for charity if feasible/possible.

That is a reasonable guidepost IMHO.

Been thinking of a small storage unit for dry/canned goods, it's not ideal but if you're out of room you're out of room. Probably a lot more secure than a Lowes/HD shed in the backyard as well, plus there's that "all your eggs in one basket" thing if something should ever happen to your abode.

Been thinking of a small storage unit for dry/canned goods, it's not ideal but if you're out of room you're out of room. Probably a lot more secure than a Lowes/HD shed in the backyard as well, plus there's that "all your eggs in one basket" thing if something should ever happen to your abode.
Just be sure you’ll have both climate control and short-notice secure access. I’m considering having part of my cache at a like-minded confidante’s home as a fallback location.

we have enough meat in the apartment for at least 90 days. Some of it is home canned but the majority is in the freezer frozen in packages for 1 meal at a time. Fat and protein is all your body needs and can survive very well, even thrive. We already are low carb, no grains, no sugars and eat OMAD now for nearly a year. We do have nuts and cheese and that would certainly run out a lot faster than 90 days but we can also live without those things. We can also make our own crackers and bread for a while (grain free).

Buy and stockpile canned, dried, and frozen. Eat fresh and lots of veggies. Repeat until this is over or we run out of fresh. If I’m wrong I’ll donate a grand worth a food to the town food pantry.

my family thinks I’m crazy, I’m not stopping

Back
Top Bottom