• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How much is .45 plinking ammo going for these days?

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
What price are people seeing for a box of 45 ACP ball ammo these days, if they are seeing it at all?

45's FMJ's been tough to find. At Wally's I usually pay 30 ish per hundred value pack WWB......but they haven't had any in months.

I bought some American Eagle up in NH a week ago, from a shop think it was around 24 bucks for 50.

I scored 5 boxes of PMC bronze in Stoneham last week for $17/box. If Walmart ever has it, its $30 for 100pack WWB.

$25/box is the going average though at most places.

I only shoot my own reloads but components are up too. .45acp costs me 6.50 a box if I buy bullets and 2.50 a box if I cast my own. In addition to the cost savings, I have thousands of rounds on hand at all times.

I only shoot my own reloads but components are up too. .45acp costs me 6.50 a box if I buy bullets and 2.50 a box if I cast my own. In addition to the cost savings, I have thousands of rounds on hand at all times.

Nice price. I'm reloading at ~$8.00 for a box of 50.

As others have said...I really don't think you can beat Wal-Mart's WWB 100 round value pack for $29.99.

I reload .45 ACP for $9.25 a box and I'll be able to do it for the next 5000 rounds or so. [grin] Probably far less than that even if I meet up with a
friend and cast up some lead bullets.

-Mike

I reload .45 ACP for $9.25 a box and I'll be able to do it for the next 5000 rounds or so. [grin] Probably far less than that even if I meet up with a
friend and cast up some lead bullets.
Primers... [sad2]

Dr. Evil is selling large pistol primers for "one meeeellion dollars!"

Everyone else is on backorder [laugh]

Primers... [sad2]

Dr. Evil is selling large pistol primers for "one meeeellion dollars!"

Everyone else is on backorder [laugh]

I've had no trouble getting primers, at reasonable prices, I might add.

You just have to look harder.

-Mike

Sure you can. Reload as others have mentioned.

I can reload 45 for $8 bucks a box

Obviously for guys that have the spent cases and reloading tools can do it cheaper.....I will someday. But it requires about $300 in tools and time on your hands. I would shoot more if I did have reloading stuff....I know I would.

For us that don't WWB at Wally's is about the best way to go.....

Last edited:
Obviously for guys that have the spent cases and reloading tools can do it cheaper.....I will someday. But it requires about $300 in tools and time on your hands. I would shoot more if I did have reloading stuff....I know I would.

I've probably blown $700+ on reloading gear, but it's already paid for itself. If you shoot more than 1000 rounds of a given caliber a year the break even
point is pretty fast, if you're keeping track.

-Mike

I've probably blown $700+ on reloading gear, but it's already paid for itself. If you shoot more than 1000 rounds of a given caliber a year the break even
point is pretty fast, if you're keeping track.

-Mike

I've only been reloading for a few months now.
I spent more than 700...much more.

However if I load say 3000 rounds of 223 and 3000 rounds of 45 then I've broken even.

Everything after that? I'll save a few hundred bucks per thousand rounds. (And I reload with the expensive stuff)

And when you reload, you can talk about ammo in thousands instead of in boxes of 50.

So .45ACP is selling for FORTY CENTS per round. Sounds expensive when you put it that way. Wait a minute, it is expensive to shoot factory ammo.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom