How much "gun" do you EDC?

I traded in my G27 for the G17 mostly because I couldn't get a reliable firing grip on it. I was in the market for a G19, but none of the shops in my area had a MOS version and the G17 was only marginally bigger. Very satisfied with this choice.
pinky rests worked for me. I've got sausage fingers but not overly large hands. So I can grip the sub guns.

Glock fortay with the extenndo clipz and a street sweeper in the whip.
I always get the feeling OP’s collecting information for some radical liberal gay California study he’s doing.

I suspect Iron Eagle is my LA buddy.
I was going to say I really want to know what OP’s California friends opinion is.

And is different than "transporting", so keep that in mind if you have a trunk monkey.

Yeah, back when I first got my LTC, it was sporting only. I kept targets and range gear in my vehicle so that if I was ever asked about why there was a firearm in my vehicle, I could honestly say I'm "transporting" to the range. Politicians in this state want to draw up stupid laws, we'll play the game and adhere to the letter...

Yeah, back when I first got my LTC, it was sporting only. I kept targets and range gear in my vehicle so that if I was ever asked about why there was a firearm in my vehicle, I could honestly say I'm "transporting" to the range. Politicians in this state want to draw up stupid laws, we'll play the game and adhere to the letter...
Transporting - unloaded and locked in a container or with trigger lock. Glove compartment or center console is insufficient.

Storage can be loaded. If you are carrying on your person, you are not "transporting" at that particular moment.

Here's the thing - seriously. People who don't expect trouble to show up are surprised, (and often defenseless), when it does show up. I went to a friend's funeral the other day. I know at least half a dozen other people there were concealed carrying. I don't really like carrying a firearm in a house of God - but I like even less the thought of some douche deciding that today's the day to go shoot a bunch of helpless people and being one of those victims.
I always carry in church. Never off-body. For law-enforcement or gang warfare scenarios, I can imagine getting in a situation where you have an opportunity to level up from your on-body carry to something in a knapsack. Self-defense scenarios where you'd have that chance are rare among rare, and everyday off-body carry comes with inherent liabilities.

Glock fortay with the extenndo clipz and a street sweeper in the whip.

I was going to say I really want to know what OP’s California friends opinion is.
I've asked several of my California based friends about whether they would consider owning and carrying a gun. They sang pretty much the same song. They don't trust themselves with something that dangerous. What if they felt profoundly sad in the moment and a gun was available easily? What if their kids got their hands on it? Snuck into their safe? What's the point of having police in a civil society?

Also thought there was a Massachusetts law where you couldn't leave in unattended.

I thought I read about that when I started out.

100 years ago before GCA98 there was potentially a problem with the law in MA where you could get rapped for leaving a handgun stored in a car. That actually got
fixed. It hasn't been an issue since /at least/ that long, but @Len-2A Training or @Rob Boudrie probably have a better historical accounting of that
problem.... (and what the law looked like before then) I don't remember the specifics offhand. Current MGL allows you to store shit in your car as long as done so
properly (and properly depends on what "it" is)

FIFY

What you seem to be hinting towards is pretty close to what Bruce Schneier refers to as "Movie-Plot Threats." Yeah, it's possible, but for it to rise to the level of extra effort would require that the universe has some special plan to screw you personally.

Yes, there's risk of your car being broken into or stolen. No, it's not all that likely. Especially if your stuff is in the trunk, you're giving yourself a heart attack over nothing.

Put another way, I've lived in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville/Medford for 20 years - the two car breaks I experienced (more than 15 years ago) were the result of bas situational awareness on my part. I've parked everywhere in the area. Including with guns in my truck on occasion. I don't "keep" a rifle in my truck, but I have never had extra fear about leaving them there, in compliance with the laws of MA.

People need to just stop shitting thier pants.

I drove to FL and back with a huge bag of (well, like 6 maybe) guns in my trunk in a locked container. I went through all the "bad" stateswhere everyone says you will get shot by the Waffen SS for transporting a gun through there. Absolutely nothing happened. I had my huge bag of guns in the car the entire time. But I didn't bring my car stupid places or f***ing street park it.

Here's the thing - seriously. People who don't expect trouble to show up are surprised, (and often defenseless), when it does show up. I went to a friend's funeral the other day. I know at least half a dozen other people there were concealed carrying. I don't really like carrying a firearm in a house of God - but I like even less the thought of some douche deciding that today's the day to go shoot a bunch of helpless people and being one of those victims.

I never really understood the reasoning behind why people don't want to carry in a church. I've talked about it with my Pastor, who appreciates me carrying. He wants to, but he's trying to figure out the best way for him.

Peter had a sword when Jesus was arrested. I'm pretty sure if the sword wasn't needed, Jesus would have mentioned at some point, "Dude, you really don't need to carry that big chunk of iron". What Jesus objected to that night was Peter interrupting the very reason that Jesus came to the Earth.
Also, Jesus says in Luke 22:36 "He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one", then 22:38 says "The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.” “That’s enough!” he replied." The fact that there were two swords among the disciples tells me that Jesus knew his followers were armed and didn't prohibit the practice. The two swords being enough makes me also think that weapons are to be defensive, not offensive - no one would realistically start a fight with a pocket 9mm, but if violence comes to them, it is a good defense.

I typically arm myself more than my usual when I go to church, my 1911 over my pocket 9mm. Especially since there was an incident (really a "non-incident" actually) this summer and everyone now knows I'm carrying, my 1911 printing under my shirt doesn't get odd looks or make people wonder, just the opposite actually. A full size gun is much more comforting than a comfortable pocket pistol, and it's especially nice in an environment where concealment is the last item to think about. As the world gets crazier, I think that violence will come to churches more and more, if the world gets any nuttier, I might start backpack carrying as well.

I've asked several of my California based friends about whether they would consider owning and carrying a gun. They sang pretty much the same song. They don't trust themselves with something that dangerous. What if they felt profoundly sad in the moment and a gun was available easily? What if their kids got their hands on it? Snuck into their safe? What's the point of having police in a civil society?

I would probably tell them they need to see a shrink or therapist or something, because it's quite obvious they're experiencing mental illness of some kind.

Felt profoundly sad in the moment? What the f*** bullshit is that? [rofl] I know a lot of gun people who have had traumatic things happen to them but none of them ever thought for a
nanosecond that using a gun on themselves was a "fix" for those problems.

Your friends are also woefully ignorant about suicide, too, apparently.

And its not that I want people to have guns that are incapable of having them.... but really these people need to get help. But they're probably too far gone.

I never really understood the reasoning behind why people don't want to carry in a church. I've talked about it with my Pastor, who appreciates me carrying. He wants to, but he's trying to figure out the best way for him.

Peter had a sword when Jesus was arrested. I'm pretty sure if the sword wasn't needed, Jesus would have mentioned at some point, "Dude, you really don't need to carry that big chunk of iron". What Jesus objected to that night was Peter interrupting the very reason that Jesus came to the Earth.
Also, Jesus says in Luke 22:36 "He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one", then 22:38 says "The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.” “That’s enough!” he replied." The fact that there were two swords among the disciples tells me that Jesus knew his followers were armed and didn't prohibit the practice. The two swords being enough makes me also think that weapons are to be defensive, not offensive - no one would realistically start a fight with a pocket 9mm, but if violence comes to them, it is a good defense.

I typically arm myself more than my usual when I go to church, my 1911 over my pocket 9mm. Especially since there was an incident (really a "non-incident" actually) this summer and everyone now knows I'm carrying, my 1911 printing under my shirt doesn't get odd looks or make people wonder, just the opposite actually. A full size gun is much more comforting than a comfortable pocket pistol, and it's especially nice in an environment where concealment is the last item to think about. As the world gets crazier, I think that violence will come to churches more and more, if the world gets any nuttier, I might start backpack carrying as well.

I don't get this bizarre thing about no guns in church.

If I ever went back to church on the reg I'd have a gun on me and a spare mag, every time.

I drove to FL and back with a huge bag of (well, like 6 maybe) guns in my trunk in a locked container. I went through all the "bad" stateswhere everyone says you will get shot by the Waffen SS for transporting a gun through there. Absolutely nothing happened. I had my huge bag of guns in the car the entire time. But I didn't bring my car stupid places or f***ing street park it.
Right.

I'm much more scared of the "medical emergency nets improper storage" event, and even that movie-plot is so incredibly unlikely as to basically ignore.

Imagine if you will - there I am, excited to finally go to a Steel Challenge match with my NES bros, so I'm upgrading my 10/22, I might even have an adult beverage at hand. I get confused putting the bolt back together, so I hop on YouTube for some help. Since I'm already at my computer, I check in on this thread and my GF hears the aneurysm from two rooms over. Realizing this is beyond her training and experience, she thoughtfully summons emergency responders. Now, the house is full of Cambridge LEOs (who we all know are obviously professionally and personally opposed to private firearms ownership) getting a semi at the idea of charging me with improper storage and her with unlawful possession. /scene

The number of events that have to happen in exactly the right order to arrive in that situation are astronomical. Yet, they've happened occasionally, including to folks on here. If I were actually scared of these things, I wouldn't own firearms; but here I am.

Right.

I'm much more scared of the "medical emergency nets improper storage" event, and even that movie-plot is so incredibly unlikely as to basically ignore.

Imagine if you will - there I am, excited to finally go to a Steel Challenge match with my NES bros, so I'm upgrading my 10/22, I might even have an adult beverage at hand. I get confused putting the bolt back together, so I hop on YouTube for some help. Since I'm already at my computer, I check in on this thread and my GF hears the aneurysm from two rooms over. Realizing this is beyond her training and experience, she thoughtfully summons emergency responders. Now, the house is full of Cambridge LEOs (who we all know are obviously professionally and personally opposed to private firearms ownership) getting a semi at the idea of charging me with improper storage and her with unlawful possession. /scene

The number of events that have to happen in exactly the right order to arrive in that situation are astronomical. Yet, they've happened occasionally, including to folks on here. If I were actually scared of these things, I wouldn't own firearms; but here I am.
No possession for her - she never exercised control over it. No improper storage for you - it was under your immediate control, and - arguably - the state of disassembly could render it "not a firearm" at the moment (wouldn't want to rest my case on that though).

"No one ever wins a gunfight. You can only hope to lose less by having the gun, compared to what you would lose without the gun."

And

"If you have to go to guns, you've made serious mistakes beforehand."
Awareness can help avoid many incidents, but there are plenty of exceptions when awareness won't do jack. Of course it's best to avoid sh!tholes when you can, but there are times one will choose not to avoid. Lastly, it's a free country and excepting private property- I don't have to avoid anyone's 'turf'.

Right.

GF needs an LTC

Just last week I switched to an EC9s in a Phlster Enigma with 7+1 mag and a spare 9 round mag in my pocket. I think this would cover the vast majority of situations I would find myself in, although I'm planning on grabbing another one or two 9 round mags to take with me into the city. I carried a G26 for years, but this new setup is more comfortable and concealable, plus gives me 90% of the capabilites of the G26, with the notable exception of being able to run the gun one-handed (seriously Ruger, those sights are not great). I also carry my wallet with some cash and a noticeable card with emergency contact numbers and blood type, a little pocket organizer with swiss army knife, small but bright flashlight (I actually did part of the low-light component of a CQB class with that so I know it is good enough), space pen, keys, small OC spray can, a SWAT-T tourniquet, and my cell-phone. I can carry all of this in my regular pants pockets and not look weird or out of place.

I just don't want to get pinched for something excessively stupid by a rookie with a judge dread hard on complex

100 years ago before GCA98 there was potentially a problem with the law in MA where you could get rapped for leaving a handgun stored in a car. That actually got
fixed. It hasn't been an issue since /at least/ that long, but @Len-2A Training or @Rob Boudrie probably have a better historical accounting of that
problem.... (and what the law looked like before then) I don't remember the specifics offhand. Current MGL allows you to store shit in your car as long as done so
At the time the courts considered a gun left in the car to be "carried" even though you were not with the gun, and the penalty was a 1 year LTC suspension + suitability issues. I always thought that charging someone for having a gun not under their control while carrying the gun where the gun was stored a considerable distance away from the was bogus, but unlike some on NES, I realize that what matters is what the courts think, not my personal belief in what the law says.

But, the current MGL fixed that (unintentionally no doubt) by specifying how a gun had to be stored in a car.

Aside from an upscale restaurant. Carrying a backpack is not that uncommon really.

If it screams tactical with a blade on the side and a tourniquet strapped to the molle on the outside then sure but other than that no big deal unless you are confronted with a metal detector

It doesn't scream tactical. Deliberately. It just looks like a knapack. Discreet zipper on side which gives access to the grip of my gun, which is in a holster that's secured with velcro to the inside of the pocket. I added a small pill bottle to the zipper pull so that there's no confusion in my mind about which zipper gives access.

The year was 1998. GCA of 1998 clarified that it was legal and the method of storing it legally in a vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom