How much "gun" do you EDC?

I Carty a S&W j frame 5 rounds or a S&W 908 8 rounds one in the chamber. Unless you are going to war you do not need more. I am not sure what kind d of fire fight you guys are pla ING to get into.
Not planning on ever getting into a fire fight. If it happens anyway I would rather have too much than not enough.

Not planning on ever getting into a fire fight. If it happens anyway I would rather have too much than not enough.
That's what the Texas kid was saying. If he was caught in a fight, he'd lay down covering fire with his Glock while he whips out his 'real' fighting gun lol.

That's what the Texas kid was saying. If he was caught in a fight, he'd lay down covering fire with his Glock while he whips out his 'real' fighting gun lol.
All clowning aside, if I am ever in a situation where I have to unholster my gun, my plan had already failed and I am pretty much needing to wing it from then on.

You just leave a AR in the trunk on the regular?
There was a time when folks had a gun rack in their truck and it was perfectly normal...
I mean, the potential of the car beaing stolen or it being stolen out of the car comes to mind
Who would know it was in the trunk to steal it? For that matter, how often does your car get stolen? I went to the range the other day and then went and grabbed a bite to eat. I had a few rifles, ammo and range gear in the trunk. The world didn't end and the car didn't get stolen.

Seems like a similar problem to "Be aware of your surroundings". As in, "Don't park in shady areas if you don't want your stuff stolen."

Sounds like a keyboard commando.
All clowning aside, if I am ever in a situation where I have to unholster my gun, my plan had already failed and I am pretty much needing to wing it from then on.
That’s how it goes in the real world.
Not that you every time you unholster your gun you should shoot, If there is going to be shooting you want to be the first person doing it.

It’s not something you can really planned for. But you’re gonna want at least 6 to 8 feet between you and the aggressor If you’re not gonna draw and shoot simultaneously.

Carry? M&P9c 15+1. occasionally with a spare mag.

I don't divulge much else about home defense options. They are sufficient, and I'll leave it at that.
I hear they're having a special on Trunk Monkey - home edition on Amazon on Cyber Monday.

The motivation to control my weight came from lifting 50 pound bags of grain, and realizing what carrying an additional 50 pounds was going to mean to my knees, hips, and body.

And as the risk of a serious SHTF situation increases drastically with the looming heating oil / diesel shortage, being fit and able to move takes on life and death reality.

I have never had anyone try to kick my ass from 6-8 feet away.
It’s just like a guy with a knife running at police..
People close the app real quickly and the last thing you wanna do is be struggling over your own pistol.

It’s been a pretty uneventful year for me I was only assaulted Once and cut once..
I knew the assault was coming.
The guy with knife was right up on me real quick.
Thankfully it was just 120 pound junkie who apparently Doesn’t own any sharp kitchen knives

If he's carrying guns around in a backpack, then he's either a moron or a criminal.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I carry a G43X on my body. In CT it's got a 10 round mag in it, here in GA it's got a 15 round Shield Arms mag in it.

I also carry a knapsack with me almost everywhere. Good flashlight on the outside to supplement the Streamlight in my pocket, spare knife with a glass breaker in an outside pocket, first aid kit inside it, couple of road maps, and a G17 with a Trijicon RMR and Streamlight TLR-1.

"If you have to go to guns, you've made serious mistakes beforehand."
What? So leaving the house to go anywhere is a serious mistake?

Someone smashing into your house randomly is a serious mistake on your part?

It's a unstable world and people are very unpredictable. The only serious mistake would be not to carry.

What? So leaving the house to go anywhere is a serious mistake?

Someone smashing into your house randomly is a serious mistake on your part?

It's an unstable world and people are very unpredictable. The only serious mistake would be not to carry.
Yep. See: Philadelphia gas stations

Always fun to see everyones' opinions on this, based on their imagined scenarios. In my somewhat longer lifespan I've had to use a gun twice in self defense and neither time required me to pull the trigger. Close, but both times the gun itself was enough of a deterrent to send multiple attackers on their way. First was a forced entry by three guys at my first apartment in the St. Louis area. Door was kicked and once the jam was split I unlatched the door. Next kick it flew open and I was waiting with a 686. That changed their mind. Last time was a road rage incident vs. four inbred hillbillies who looked just like the kid in Deliverance but bigger and muscular. Drawing the 686 was all that was necessary for them to move on. Would a cute little Glock subcompact have the same effect as a full size 357? Who knows. Both incidents were in states where it's OK to keep a gun in the car and/or open carry was not a problem.

Didn't need it, but glad I had a Sig P220 on my hip when a huge bear was pressing his nose against the screen door to my kitchen. A little slower than chipmunks and squirrels, but I chased him off my deck just like any other critter.

During peak Marxist funded anarchy period I had to drive through a couple of the sh!thole cities with active agitators. For that I carried a Glock 20 with multiple mags. Most often I just throw a little Glock 43 in my pocket (in pocket holster). I would not want to be shot with any of the above.

There was a time when folks had a gun rack in their truck and it was perfectly normal...

Who would know it was in the trunk to steal it? For that matter, how often does your car get stolen? I went to the range the other day and then went and grabbed a bite to eat. I had a few rifles, ammo and range gear in the trunk. The world didn't end and the car didn't get stolen.

Seems like a similar problem to "Be aware of your surroundings". As in, "Don't park in shady areas if you don't want your stuff stolen."
Maybe in other states. But Massachusetts?

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but if I keep a rifle in the trunk to Maybe go to the range later, I'm kinda on a high alert mode about it

I'm just paranoid
FIFY

What you seem to be hinting towards is pretty close to what Bruce Schneier refers to as "Movie-Plot Threats." Yeah, it's possible, but for it to rise to the level of extra effort would require that the universe has some special plan to screw you personally.

Yes, there's risk of your car being broken into or stolen. No, it's not all that likely. Especially if your stuff is in the trunk, you're giving yourself a heart attack over nothing.

Put another way, I've lived in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville/Medford for 20 years - the two car breaks I experienced (more than 15 years ago) were the result of bas situational awareness on my part. I've parked everywhere in the area. Including with guns in my truck on occasion. I don't "keep" a rifle in my truck, but I have never had extra fear about leaving them there, in compliance with the laws of MA.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I carry a G43X on my body. In CT it's got a 10 round mag in it, here in GA it's got a 15 round Shield Arms mag in it.

I also carry a knapsack with me almost everywhere. Good flashlight on the outside to supplement the Streamlight in my pocket, spare knife with a glass breaker in an outside pocket, first aid kit inside it, couple of road maps, and a G17 with a Trijicon RMR and Streamlight TLR-1.
Not saying there aren’t times, but you mean at work, while shopping, and while eating at restaurants you almost always have a knapsack with you that has a G17 in it?

Depends on the threat and expected scenario:

Out on the town, in my town of 2000 - LC9s
Someplace "sketchy", like below Columbia NH - LC9s and spare mag
Church - 1911 and 2 spare mags
Woods in spring and fall (more active bears) - Blackhawk in .45LC with 300gr hard cast
Woods in summer - LC9s
Travelling - LC9s on me, 1911 and cut down savage 520 in vehicle
Meeting of vigilance committee (regular) - pump 12ga and rope
Meeting of vigilance committee (advanced) - .38 revolver and SxS 12ga (doesn't leave empties)
Taking out sentries - Sykes Fairbairn dagger or garrotte make of piano wire
Ambush of disguised UN convoy - compound bow and 30-30
Sniping local cartel leader - .308 bolt rifle
Attack on drug house - 1911 and M-11
Removing terrorist from plane (on ground) - suppressed Beretta 93-R
Removing terrorist from plane (airborne) - .44 Automag

Sorry - I started daydreaming somewhere in there.

Not saying there aren’t times, but you mean at work, while shopping, and while eating at restaurants you almost always have a knapsack with you that has a G17 in it?

At work - nope - I work at home. There's a gun in my office, but my knapsack is downstairs with my truck keys.

Shopping - abso-f***ing-lutely.

Eating at restaurants - most of the time. Occasionally we'll go to an "upscale" restaurant, and I'll just have a carry gun on me.

Here's the thing - seriously. People who don't expect trouble to show up are surprised, (and often defenseless), when it does show up. I went to a friend's funeral the other day. I know at least half a dozen other people there were concealed carrying. I don't really like carrying a firearm in a house of God - but I like even less the thought of some douche deciding that today's the day to go shoot a bunch of helpless people and being one of those victims.

At work - nope - I work at home. There's a gun in my office, but my knapsack is downstairs with my truck keys.

Shopping - abso-f***ing-lutely.

Eating at restaurants - most of the time. Occasionally we'll go to an "upscale" restaurant, and I'll just have a carry gun on me.

Here's the thing - seriously. People who don't expect trouble to show up are surprised, (and often defenseless), when it does show up. I went to a friend's funeral the other day. I know at least half a dozen other people there were concealed carrying. I don't really like carrying a firearm in a house of God - but I like even less the thought of some douche deciding that today's the day to go shoot a bunch of helpless people and being one of those victims.
Aside from an upscale restaurant. Carrying a backpack is not that uncommon really.

If it screams tactical with a blade on the side and a tourniquet strapped to the molle on the outside then sure but other than that no big deal unless you are confronted with a metal detector

The motivation to control my weight came from lifting 50 pound bags of grain, and realizing what carrying an additional 50 pounds was going to mean to my knees, hips, and body.

And as the risk of a serious SHTF situation increases drastically with the looming heating oil / diesel shortage, being fit and able to move takes on life and death reality.
That’s a great point. You will recover from anything faster the better shape you are in, plus in an emergency you want to be able to move. And I don’t just mean in a fight, I mean just to hustle and move. I had a similar realization when I was moving pails of ice melt that weigh 40 pounds and I realized I gained 40 pounds over the last 2 years. That made me get back on track for better eating and exercise. That’s a lot of excess weight for most people to haul around.

FIFY

What you seem to be hinting towards is pretty close to what Bruce Schneier refers to as "Movie-Plot Threats." Yeah, it's possible, but for it to rise to the level of extra effort would require that the universe has some special plan to screw you personally.

Yes, there's risk of your car being broken into or stolen. No, it's not all that likely. Especially if your stuff is in the trunk, you're giving yourself a heart attack over nothing.

Put another way, I've lived in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville/Medford for 20 years - the two car breaks I experienced (more than 15 years ago) were the result of bas situational awareness on my part. I've parked everywhere in the area. Including with guns in my truck on occasion. I don't "keep" a rifle in my truck, but I have never had extra fear about leaving them there, in compliance with the laws of MA.
Also thought there was a Massachusetts law where you couldn't leave in unattended.

I thought I read about that when I started out.

G26 10+1 with a spare mag. Year round.
The G19 shoots just as well, but bigger and heavier. Since I can't carry standard mags with the G19 unless the are $100 prebans, I opt for the smaller lighter gun.
I traded in my G27 for the G17 mostly because I couldn't get a reliable firing grip on it. I was in the market for a G19, but none of the shops in my area had a MOS version and the G17 was only marginally bigger. Very satisfied with this choice.

Back
Top Bottom