• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How much do you really save by reloading?

If you're 97 years old, don't bother trying to save any money doing reloading.

BUT..............

If you're a young guy, think of reloading as being a lifetime experience. Translate the write off of costs over decades, and it's easy to save money. I started reloading in 1975. And I barely ever buy any factory ammo in all of those years. If I get a new gun.... I buy the tools and molds and other parts to feed it. I can build my own mmo for every gun I own. Even my relatively recent purchase (two years ago now) of the 500 S&W Magnum. I now have 8 molds for that, and have fired over 2,000 rounds through it. Not as many as E/C but that's a lot of savings!

The fun of shooting your own ammo.............. PRICELESS!

I have .223 down to .17 a round and .308 at .27 a round. This is with plinking rounds, match stuff is a little more. Store bought bulk .223 is around $.35 a round and local store bought .308 is pushing $.60 a round so savings for rifle is very considerable.
As for pistol I didn't think the time spent was worth the $2 a Bo I saved so I just buy pistol ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For the cost of 125 7.7Jap loaded cartridges (about $150 or $25 per 20) I can buy: 100 new brass $55, 1k primers $30, 1 lb powder $20, Lee dies $25, then add for each round a bullet: Jacketed Hornady bullets $24 per 100. Assume shooting the 100 brass 10 times each and the cost per round ends up at $.37 per round on bullet, primers and powder and brass, add in the cost of the dies and you are still only at about $.41 per, and that is with a jacketed bullet. Figure the factory stuff a case would cost about $1200, and the handloaded stuff, including dies and all components cost about $410, Quite a savings, ends up paying for the press, and dies with one case of ammo.

Since I already have the press the first 100 rounds pays for the dies and I am still ahead of factory ammo (when I can even find it)

The more you shoot, or the more oddball the caliber, the more logical reloading becomes.

Last edited:
I just started reloading, I probably have about 400-450 invested in a solid single stage setup (at this point I think I will definitely be moving to a progressive press, BUT I will still be using the single stage press for a few different things, so I am glad I got one to start.

I figured my cost for .40S&W to be 7.5 cents per bullet (for cast bullets), 2.6 cents per primer (26 per K), and about 1.4-2 cents for powder, bringing me to 110-120 per K, vs about 300 per K that I usually pay per case, so in about 2K rounds the setup should pay for itself.

For rifle, my cases after one sizing do not need to be trimmed, though I will need a case trimmer. I think I am looking at about 130-150/K for .223, but as of yet I did not buy bulk bullets for my rifle rounds.

There is definitely a LOT more effort in reloading rifle cases as I have already learned, but reloading .40 has been cake, and I am saving between 60-70% on what I would pay for new ammo. I think my next purchase will definitely be a revolver now because I can see myself loading .357 mag for much closer to 100 per K vs 400 per K. I also find it enjoyable loading ammo.

Mike

Now you can calculate it yourself!

This post got me thinking and I remembered I downloaded a reloading cost spreadsheet a long time ago when I wanted to start reloading. I dug through my USB sticks and hard drives and found it.

It's handy and really detailed and it will calculate your costs per round, per box, per thousand, etc. It will also calculate your "Pay Back" or return on investment on labor (time + hourly rate) and cost of your reloading equipment, and it has a few extra calculators as well.

I can't remember where I got it but it's called "SLUG - Version 0.99 (Simple Little Utility for Glocksters)", my guess is it originated at glocktalk. Its not Glock specific however.

I never did use it so this morning, I plugged in all of my costs for components including what I originally paid for the brass. I figured 10 reloads on reusing the brass. The spreadsheet calculates my reloads at $0.061 a round and $61.26 per thousand.

I also went back and added up what I've spent on reloading and casting equipment $803.90, and entered it into the "Pay Back" Tab. I left the labor cost at $0.00, because its my hobby too. The Pay Back calculator is telling me based on my equipment, per round cost, and if shooting 25 rounds a week (thats was probably the average for the last year).

My reloading investment was fully paid off in 11.7 months. Now that I am reloading and things are going full steam, I'm shooting allot more so this next year could be 50 or 100 a week.

The calculator and instructions I are attached to this post. Now you can plug in different costs, equipment, etc and get and see how much you would save in your specific case.

I'd be interested to see what the spreadsheet calculates EddieCoyle's S&W .500 nubers at. I am willing to bet the calculator tells EC that his S&W .500 investment was paid off about 1/2 way through the first pull of the press handle on the first round. [smile]

Attachments

• Reloading.zip
    39.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
There is a iPhone app I use called "hand load" I think it was $2 or something like that. It is really handy to use on the fly when shopping for components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I load cast bullets (mine) for a .38-55 Winchester that cost me about 5 cents each plus my time. The only factory loads I have found run close to $40 for a box of 20. This is an extreme example but it is a good one. I load 9mm and .45 ACP for about the same price - again with my cast bullets - but the savings per round are a lot less. A huge benefit is being able to tailor the rounds to my guns. I seat the bullets as long as possible for accuracy and adjust the powder charge for the best functioning.

Put cap ex in one bucket (all of the reloading equipment) and ongoing consumables in the other bucket (brass, bullets, powder, primers) and do the math to determine who long it will take to pay off the capital equipment. I reload more for enjoyment, freedom and accuracy than just cost savings. But as an example of cost comparison, Lapua 155 Scenars (.308) using Lapua brass, Varget powder and CCI primers comes out to about $.80 per round (bullets are most expensive component). 20 rounds of factory-loaded 155 Scenars cost $44, or $2.20 per round. It's obviously harder to save a lot if you are shooting bulk 556, 9mm, 45, but once you get into larger rifle calibers or the less common calibers, the cost savings adds up fast. As folks above have said, reloading is simply liberating, which is priceless.

How much do I really save by reloading? A shit ton. Here are some rough comparisons of factory ammo to my costs.

1,000rds of 9mm Luger = $240 : My cost = $90-100
1,000rds of .40SW = $300 : My cost = $100
1,000rds of .380 = $340 : My cost = $130 (Still trying to find a local source for cast .380 that isn't $40 per 500 bullets)
1,000rds of .357 mag = $400 : My cost = $115
1,000rds of 9mm Steyr = $700 : My cost = $100
1,000rds of .30-40 Krag = $1500 : My cost = $300
.223/5.56 is harder to estimate because I use a bunch of different powders and bullets but the savings are very small.

You don't save any money as you shoot more of it so it becomes a wash.
My costs for .45 is about $50 for 1000 as my costs are only powder and primer vs $33-$35/100 at Walmart

That's due to free lead and I cast my own heads. I estimate my costs to cast at about .01 per round for electricity, propane and lube.

With the same free lead I cast for my 500 mag and my cost is about .20 a round vs $2-$3 a round for new. Sure not going to go thru 200 rounds of 500 mag at one range trip if I was buying new!

Savings get bigger as the bullet gets bigger but the most important thing to remember is you can tailor your ammo to what you like. Light loads for practice, hotter loads for competition ect

Dave

where do you get the recipes (how much and what to do).

You find them in load data books or reliable manufacturer data online. I use both plus much of my own testing based off of that data.

What is the best machine?

Do you realize what you just did? [rofl] I like Dillon, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new Hornady LnL, either, it's just that when I went to go get my press, Hornady was out of stock for months, so instead of waiting I just got a Dillon 550. OK cue the Lee Masochist crew here.... [rofl] Here we go.... pulpits and kool aid..... [rofl]

-Mike

How much do I really save by reloading? A shit ton. Here are some rough comparisons of factory ammo to my costs.

1,000rds of 9mm Luger = $240 : My cost = $90-100
1,000rds of .40SW = $300 : My cost = $100
1,000rds of .380 = $340 : My cost = $130 (Still trying to find a local source for cast .380 that isn't $40 per 500 bullets)
1,000rds of .357 mag = $400 : My cost = $115
1,000rds of 9mm Steyr = $700 : My cost = $100
1,000rds of .30-40 Krag = $1500 : My cost = $300
.223/5.56 is harder to estimate because I use a bunch of different powders and bullets but the savings are very small.

Where do you buy everything including brass?

Where do you buy everything including brass?

Seems like you are an ideal candidate for a reloading class. GOAL and our very own EddieCoyle from above does them and is highly recommended by all the students I have spoken too.

To get a clear understanding of what your doing the best and easiest way is hands on, questions answered when asked, and then start slow and gain knowledge as you progress.

I run a 550B and its awesome. I get my components - brass my own from once fired manufactured. Bullets, Primers, Powder at my local or not so local shops as well as online (having a NH address is very helpful).

The best thing you can do is to ask around at your club, and see what people are using, and ask if you can test-drive them. There's a difference in 'feel' between the different makers, and for some, that makes a difference.

Most reloaders find a brand that they like and stick to that, and try to convert others. Part of it's a "comfort" thing. My son (Trap125+) and I just picked up a new-to-us Ponsness-Warren for shotshell reloading.....because we know the brand, and what we were looking for (OK...the 13 year old made the decision....after all, he's the one that mostly uses it! [laugh] )

Take the advice of eddie coyle and DrGrant....but make sure it's "right" for you - all of the makers mentioned are good, but only you can determine what's best. IIRC, there's a reloading class at GOAL in the near future.....save blood, sweat, and aggravation and learn to swim before you jump in.

I can't see how anybody can make a recommendation without knowing what the guy wants to do.

What if he wants to make 50 rounds per year of .264 Win Mag? Does your "get a progressive' answer look good? No?

What if the guy is a mechanical engineer that wants to start shooting IDPA and only has a few hours per month to make ammo? Telling him to 'start out with a single stage' is probably not going to help him.

OK - So I have been thinking about reloading for a long time. I watched the YouTube videos and went to Midway USA to see what equipment will cost, and that is where i got lost.

Lets say i shoot about 500-800 rounds per month, sometimes more if bringing a friend or two, mostly 45 and the dreaded 40. What would be a reasonable amount of money to budget to start reloading? Do I need to spend $1100 for reloading equipment.

OK - So I have been thinking about reloading for a long time. I watched the YouTube videos and went to Midway USA to see what equipment will cost, and that is where i got lost.

Lets say i shoot about 500-800 rounds per month, sometimes more if bringing a friend or two, mostly 45 and the dreaded 40. What would be a reasonable amount of money to budget to start reloading? Do I need to spend $1100 for reloading equipment.

1100 seems high.

Hornady LnL $420
Die set times two $85
Two shell plates. $50
Scale. $75
Tumbler, media and separator $100

I am at $730 or so to get started at about retail prices. Save a few bucks here and there on the scale, tumbler or dies maybe. You won't need 1k unless you want a bullet feeder or a 550 with a bullet feeder.

The question of how much do you really save seems to always come up again and again
The bigger picture to look at here is being able to make ammo when all the store supplies dry up.
It was not all that long ago when you could not find ANY 9mm or .45 ammo on shelves anywhere, not to mention all the other most popular types of ammo.
The reason to reload is simple YES you will cut your cost in half if you shoot a lot and YES you will be able to make ammo when there is none in stores to be had.
Last but NOT least YES you will be able to make ammo that is more accurate and consistant then most cheap bulk ammo available in stores.
Hey listen, YOU!( This is for the large group that keep asking all the same questions) can keep asking questions and putting it off again but then 2 or 3 years from now it will cost you even more to get started reloading.
You more than likely already burned 2 or 3 years thinking about it now and then WOW do your eyes get big when a guy like me that reloads shows up at the range with 600- 700 rounds to play with for the day.
STOP ASKING AND GET IN THE GAME
We will all help and Welcome you to the sport and fine hobby of reloading.

I say this to anyone getting into reloading. Before you spend anything, find a friend who does it and make sure its something you like and something you have time to do (important!). I personally like it almost as much as shooting....

...but I don't think its for everyone and you don't want to find out after you've dropped a bunch of cash on equipment. I've had die hard shooting enthusiasts come over to my house to try it and they've said "I can't see myself doing this".

For some its a fascinating hobby, for some it just feels like work. You'll get a lot of sampling bias in the reloading section of NES b/c it's mostly comprised of people who fit in the former group.

Last edited:
Eddie,
my needs areper year
1500 45acp
1000 357 mag
1000 44 mag
500 500 mag
1000 9 mil

i will sign up for the course but i want to be intoit before to ask the right questions. oh and probably 500 38spec

Last edited:
Eddie,
my needs areper year
1500 45acp
1000 357 mag
1000 44 mag
500 500 mag
1000 9 mil

i will sign up for the course but i want to be intoit before to ask the right questions

At 5K rounds per year, you're well in to progressive territory unless you have unlimited time to reload. Based on what you want to load, you'll pay for a whole setup in about 4 months.

Back
Top Bottom