• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How much clearance around progressive press?

Chuck

NES Member
Hi,

Just getting into reloading. I currently have a Rock Chucker mounted on the end of my wood working bench. But, have a new Horndady Lock n Load Progressive to set up. Going to make a bench and put it in a large walk in closet to make the AG happy.

How much room around a progressive press do you find useful? Infinity is not an option, but I'm thinking about mounting it 1' or even less, from the right edge of the bench which is against a wall. Bench depth will be such that there is no more than a foot of room in front of it. My thinking is the right hand is just going up and down with the handle, the left needs to reach for brass and bullet. Space in front is just space I'll clutter up; just want to keep room for future $$ case feeder. The Rock Chucker will got a couple of feet to the left of the AP.

I'll have another bench, and L shape from the reloading one, for cleaning; it will be deeper, like 2 feet. Shelves all around. Storage underneath for cases of ammo and bulk powder to weigh the bench down.

Sound like a plan?

cheers,
Chuck

My Dillon XL650 is pretty much within an few inches of right up against the right edge of my bench. Like you said, the right hand isn't doing much but going up and down. No regrets.

Check out the thread of reloading bench pics to get other ideas, and if you're not sure, mount it temporarily with a few clamps until you are happy with the result.

Leave enough room to get your head in to the right of it. You'll be changing primer seating anvils from that side and it's a lot easier to do that if you can see it rather than just feel for it.

I've never used that kind of press but I usually stand slightly to the left of the press so I can see into station #3 (back left) on my SDB and 550 to make sure the case has the appropriate amount of powder in it. 1 foot to the right is enough room to work but a wall that far away would surely feel cramped. 1 foot between press stations is on the narrow side of adequate in my opinion. My Star lube-sizer is about 18" from a wall and it's closer than I'd prefer but it's all the space I have right now.

Components ARE ammo, even empty cases. Must be locked up as well. This way if I stop processing a batch I can leave everything as is, just lock the door.

You ever see empty cases at the range? Components are COMPONENTS till you make ammo out of them.

Maybe your thinking of this.

CMR 527 Section 13.04 states that "ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use."

If there is a law or regulation out there for empty brass not assembled that's a new on me, can you cite the law.

You ever see empty cases at the range? Components are COMPONENTS till you make ammo out of them.

If there is a law or regulation out there for empty brass not assembled that's a new on me, can you cite the law.

You're wrong, Chuck is right. Components are ammo under MA law. It's pretty widely known, and has been discussed here many many times.

"Ammunition” - cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

Last edited:
My LnL AP is on the left side of my bench with lots of room to have a tray to dump the bin and keep any tools nearby. You definitely want enough space to see all around the press as was mentioned in an earlier post.

Chuck - I basically did along the lines you're thinking of. My existing bench that houses my turret press is pretty cluttered. So when I built my progressive bench and planned the area I positioned the press as far off to the right as comfortable operation would allow, and left the tabletop almost completely empty and uncluttered. I wanted it to serve a dual capacity as both a reloading and gun-work-type bench. The ceiling is slightly angled on the right so I had to take that into account and bump the press to the left a bit, but I still have plenty of space to work on AR's/multiple handguns/etc, whereas that's a lot harder to manage on my other bench which houses a measure, trimmer, tumbler, drawers, etc in addition to the turret press.

Edit - Maybe this will give you some ideas. My progressive setup:
20140507_235351_zps02617d2d.jpg

Last edited:
Chuck - I basically did along the lines you're thinking of. My existing bench that houses my turret press is pretty cluttered. So when I built my progressive bench and planned the area I positioned the press as far off to the right as comfortable operation would allow, and left the tabletop almost completely empty and uncluttered. I wanted it to serve a dual capacity as both a reloading and gun-work-type bench. The ceiling is slightly angled on the right so I had to take that into account and bump the press to the left a bit, but I still have plenty of space to work on AR's/multiple handguns/etc, whereas that's a lot harder to manage on my other bench which houses a measure, trimmer, tumbler, drawers, etc in addition to the turret press.

Edit - Maybe this will give you some ideas. My progressive setup:
20140507_235351_zps02617d2d.jpg

I have even less room than this between right wall and press and I manage. It's not ideal and I'd leave more room if I could though. I can get my head/hands in fine if I need to do something.

Back
Top Bottom