How much are you saving? 9mm

steve8140

NES Member
I’m a relatively new reloader (1 year) and I’ve been shooting and stocking up on components now while prices are relatively low.

People constantly say that factory ammo is so cheap that reloading 9mm isn’t worth it right now. So I did some math for some 124 grain.

New factory ammo is about $160-170/case
My reloads I saved about $30/ case.

Now since TS has started collecting sales tax I’m now saving about $45/ case.

How are your numbers looking? I’m sure I could save more but buying different components and waiting for sales.

Last edited:
With bulk powder and primer purchases, and a generous discount on projectiles, I am able to load 147g coated lead 9mm at under 12c per round. I consider the ammo I make to be of equal quality to factory offerings at twice that cost, and mine are more tuned to my pistol and shooting requirements.

So, by that logic, I am saving $120 per case

What reloaded unit/machine are you using?
Did you Figure in the initial equipment purchase I your savings or just components?
I’d like to start reloading 9mm myself but upfront costs worry me, mostly cuz factory ammo isn’t too bad right now. I’ve been saving my 9mm brass for years. 2 full 5 gallon pails.

What reloaded unit/machine are you using?
Did you Figure in the initial equipment purchase I your savings or just components?
I’d like to start reloading 9mm myself but upfront costs worry me, mostly cuz factory ammo isn’t too bad right now. I’ve been saving my 9mm brass for years. 2 full 5 gallon pails.
I did not figure in the cost of equipment. I’m only counting the components themselves. I’m using a Dillon XL650 with case feeder.

I cast my own bullets. Pretty much all of my lead has been free or damn close to it but this is figuring $1 per pound if you had to pay for lead.
I’ve also purchased powder much cheaper than this and primers but I’m trying to take into consideration if you had to start from scratch right now.
Also considering brass as free. 9mm is one of the easiest to find at the range and should be considered so.
0BA74157-CE8B-4421-9A19-70E5CD336F67.png

Costs me about 12 dollars per 100 rounds to make. I also enjoy doing it. Time factor is not an issue since I can make about 400 rounds an hour. I would kill an hour running to the store to buy a hundred rounds. I can play around with different powders and figure out what works best. Best of all, I never have to worry about shortages in the local stores. When you reload, you freak out when any cartridge you have falls below a couple thousand rounds :)

Costs me about 12 dollars per 100 rounds to make. I also enjoy doing it. Time factor is not an issue since I can make about 400 rounds an hour. I would kill an hour running to the store to buy a hundred rounds. I can play around with different powders and figure out what works best. Best of all, I never have to worry about shortages in the local stores. When you reload, you freak out when any cartridge you have falls below a couple thousand rounds :)
Like the man said, "I don't save any money by reloading, but I sure do shoot a whole lot more!"
:)

yes and yes.
I just cast about 700 bullets today in a quick session to try to get ahead of the game.
Since I’ve started casting I don’t ever look at the price of a range trip or worry about ammo costs.
I seriously can’t even quote savings or ammo prices when friends ask because I haven’t bought factory ammo (other than rimfire and some defense ammo) in 8 years.

I can make them @ .09/rd, but have been buying factory at .16/rd in bulk to save time. I have enough components to make 2000+ rounds if Obama gets re-elected and everything becomes scarce again.

My numbers for 9mm are pretty much what Mike S posted
Equipment cost:
Inherited a single stage setup from my dad and use a loadmaster for 5 'bulk' calibers.
Cost for the loadmaster is about $300
Figure $75 each for the four other caliber kits (Dies, tool head, shell plate)

So my sunk cost is around $600 but that is amortized over quite a few thousand rounds and counting - per round cost is at or below a penny and dropping.
Now if I could just leave well enough alone and not buy new equipment I don't absolutely need...

Savings are marginal at best for 9x19mm, but pennies per round isn't the end all, unless you only shoot 115g FMJ.
Regardless of savings, or none at all, I find it gratifying to load cast bullets, coated bullets, 88g to 100g jacketed bullets, frangibles and others.
Pulled HSTs can be had for 10 cents or less, so you may realize some cost savings there.
Granted, the more obscure calibers is where reloading makes pure economic sense, but I reload mostly for the therapeutic value and joy of it.
I've yet to find plastic riot bullets, .22 LR sabots and other oddball toppings at any gun shop (but this may not be your cup of tea).
If you think you can save the planet, what better way to reduce, reuse and recycle (or whatever the phrase is)?

Attachments

• .45Mag(1).jpg
    .45Mag(1).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 17
  • sabot22sa1.jpg
    sabot22sa1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 308Win_zps215a7a11.jpg
    308Win_zps215a7a11.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 17
I consider the ammo I make to be of equal quality to factory offerings at twice that cost, and mine are more tuned to my pistol and shooting requirements.
This is often overlooked by some. I suppose if you're not a competitive shooter and just like to plink at the range (which is totally fine of course) then reloading 9mm may not make the most sense. But when you shoot USPSA/IDPA matches, using factory ammo that's loaded to like ~150 power factor (and typically isn't as accurate as reloads), may not be beneficial when it comes to shooting fast and getting back on target faster. YMMV.

With bulk primer purchases (including rebates from Winchester), bulk Vihtavuori powder purchases (with rebates), discounted 147 gr blue bullets, and buying once fired brass I'm at about 12-13 cents per round. Reusing brass drops it to about 10 cents.

I am not too OCD about price per round but I calculated between .09 and .11 per round of 115rn FMJ 9mm so I save around 30% off of retail.
It's all about quantity, quality and my ability to manufacture my own resources with semi-raw materials.

It's not really about money for me, because I primarily load 9mm.

It's about having plenty of ammo on hand, with the ability to make more. It's about simply grabbing an ammo can when I go to the range instead of worrying if I have to find a store to buy some. It's about having a consistent feel to the rounds when I fire them. I'm loading 124 grn plated bullets on top of 4.0 grns of TiteGroup. That load reliably cycles all of my 9mm handguns and my PCC, makes PowerFactor for USPSA/IDPA and is at least as accurate as I am.

I've got about 5,000 rounds loaded right now, and components for probably another 5,000 rounds and getting ready to order more bullets.

It's also the simple pleasure of running the press and watching the bullets drop into the bin - zen time.

Saving anything?
Probably not on 9mm, and if I am, its not much.
Not sure what my last order from t.s.u.s.a. breaks down to per round, but its the fed syntec.
2 or 3 cases should get me through this season starting April, couple that with about 2000 rounds of "rolled" .38 spl, and 1000 or so .45, and it should last till november at least.
Ammo on demand, thats what its really all about for me.

Last edited:
I save the least loading 9mm but it's still worth it. I save the most loading .45/60 Winchester which costs about a dime to make and $4.00 to buy. I don't really save anything. If you think you'll save money by reloading, forget it. You'll spend like a drunken sailor but you'll shoot a hell of a lot more.

I save the least loading 9mm but it's still worth it. I save the most loading .45/60 Winchester which costs about a dime to make and $4.00 to buy. I don't really save anything. If you think you'll save money by reloading, forget it. You'll spend like a drunken sailor but you'll shoot a hell of a lot more.

Uggh... I just spent $200 today for a bunch of 45-70 and 9mm bullets. I really need to get motivated to learn and pour my own 45-70. I think I spent $130 for 600 rounds of 405 grain hitek bullets.

Yet to pull the trigger on powder which I really need. Wanted to take advantage of the free hazmat at my favorite store but they had nothing in stock I really wanted. At a minimum I need 4 pounds of 2400 for my 357 and shoulder friendly 45-70 loads (those damn lever actions are costing me a fortune). I guess its a blessing in disguise. This could have been a five hundred dollar day. Ya, you do not save money reloading. You just have a lot more ammo to shoot.

Uggh... I just spent $200 today for a bunch of 45-70 and 9mm bullets. I really need to get motivated to learn and pour my own 45-70. I think I spent $130 for 600 rounds of 405 grain hitek bullets.

Yet to pull the trigger on powder which I really need. Wanted to take advantage of the free hazmat at my favorite store but they had nothing in stock I really wanted. At a minimum I need 4 pounds of 2400 for my 357 and shoulder friendly 45-70 loads (those damn lever actions are costing me a fortune). I guess its a blessing in disguise. This could have been a five hundred dollar day. Ya, you do not save money reloading. You just have a lot more ammo to shoot.
You need to jump in to casting already!!!

Holy crap I can’t believe they sold out of 2400. I was just checking their site yesterday and they had plenty in stock. That sale really boosted sales.
For what it’s worth another vendor has 1 cent hazmat and free shipping on $300 orders today. Same vendor I bought a 8# jug from a few weeks ago.

I really need to get motivated to learn and pour my own 45-70. I think I spent $130 for 600 rounds of 405 grain hitek bullets.

Thats where you're really going to save a ton.
1 lb of lead should yeild about 17 of those 405's
Not sure what one of those muffin pan pucks weigh, but I can part with 4 or 5, should fill a pot up. Wheel weight lead. Freebies.
I do like the hi-tek, but have never applied it or bought the material to apply it, so can't help you there.
Just drive out to west bridgewater and its yours.

My favorite powder for 9mm. I buy the 4 pound jugs of that stuff :)

Been using 4.6 grains behind a 125 grain hitek bullet. Nice light load. Recently have been trying some out at 4.9 grains.

Same here. 4.7gr BE-86 w/124gr Lead Cone Nose bullet . Super accurate. I just finished off an 8# jug and will be buying more. Also great for 45ACP and .357

Back
Top Bottom