How much ammo is enough for you?

I'll let the OP respond to see what he says.....his quote is It's typical to shoot 1,000-2,000 rounds PER DAY over several courses but also that his typical range day was 30 mags of 500 rounds.......even 500 rounds of cheep 9mm is $150 a trip. Even at that rate of 500 rounds I'd only be at the range once a month.

My typical range trip I shoot 2-3 rounds of trap when I go then put 20 rounds of .357 through the revolver to stay current and I have a tight group. If I'm with the boy I'll shoot 300 rounds of .22lr and then head home. Comes to about $40 a trip for ammo for me and I'm confidant I'm "current" with my training.

Dude, look into some carbine or handgun combat courses, most require you bring at least 1k rounds and that's for a day course.

My 1-2k rounds was in reference to taking training courses such as those offered by Dave Harrington.

On a busy month I shoot about 2,000 rounds of pistol/rifle, I'd say a low is 1k. I don't usually shoot less than 250rds per range trip. Rim fire usage is completely dependent upon how much my three kids want to shoot.

I also reload, so the cost is not even close to the $500/case people are paying for .223. I have some combinations of .233 that cost me .12 per round to reload because I bought large bulk amounts on a regular basis. I have not had to buy ammo since before Sandy Hook. I'm just weathering the storm.

How much you shoot/train is completely dependent upon how proficient you want to be and how much you can afford to. We're fortunate in that my wife and I make good money and can afford to shoot a lot.

Dude, look into some carbine or handgun combat courses, most require you bring at least 1k rounds and that's for a day course.

If you look at a Harrington rifle/pistol course, he asks you bring 1k pistol, 1k rifle per day of training. A day of training is from range open to range close with a short break for lunch.

florida-marina-3.jpg

this might be able to handle my dream stockpile.

BTT

I bought another 420 ammo can of 5.56 yesterday, and I had just a small touch of "this should be enough"..........I had to BTT this thread and re-read it all to get my head back on straight, thanks guys!!!!!!!!

[smile]

I usually buy whatever I can for the calibers I use. It is usually cheaper to buy by the case. Before the stupidity I bought all my 22 by the case. Usually could get blazer HV for $14 per 500. If it ever gets back to normal I will have enough 22 to last a few years.

Buy what you can while there is a supply. Stash a few thousand rounds and don't dip into it unless things really dry up. Keep a weekly/monthly range supply and refresh that as often as needed.

A few months ago nothing could be had at any price. .22 is still in short supply.

Buy what you can while there is a supply. Stash a few thousand rounds and don't dip into it unless things really dry up. Keep a weekly/monthly range supply and refresh that as often as needed.

A few months ago nothing could be had at any price. .22 is still in short supply.

Those 2100 round federal cases of .22 in ammo cans from before Sandy hook I saw at cabela's sure look a lot more attractive now

Back
Top Bottom