• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How much ammo is enough for you?

3qju8k.jpg

I don't think you can have enough. If I come across some and its not FR priced(I know it all is now) then I buy it. I have 5 or 6k of .22, and about 1k of .40. For some reason I still don't think it's enough, especially the .22.

I need more guns!!

If you have the money to stockpile, then buy as much as you can reasonably afford when prices are good. My rule of thumb has always been to buy at least a few boxes whenever I go to the gun store whether I am shooting that week or not. When I shoot 2 boxes, I replace them with 3, or 4. Doing this will build up your stockpile slowly, but you don't take a big hit financially this way. I know this thread has turned into kind of a dick measuring contest with who claims to have the biggest quantity of ammo, but in reality, having pallets of ammo will do you no good if a) it isn't portable, and b) if its not loaded into magazines in the event of a shtf situation. Obviously though, having surplus helps when there are shortages like this year so that you can still shoot regularly without getting scalped or going without.

If you have the money to stockpile, then buy as much as you can reasonably afford when prices are good. My rule of thumb has always been to buy at least a few boxes whenever I go to the gun store whether I am shooting that week or not. When I shoot 2 boxes, I replace them with 3, or 4.

Ammo is cheaper by the case.

500 rounds of 9mm is less than 30 mags. That's a trip to the range for training.

I've taken several pistol and rifle courses. It's typical to shoot 1,000-2,000 rounds PER DAY.

You can never have enough ammo or loaded mags. I suppose if I had 100k rounds of each caliber I'd think about slowing down my purchasing and focus on buying mags.

OK so let me get this straight......you shoot 2,000 rounds per day of 9mm.........for training. That comes to $600 at the best price I've seen of $15 a box of 50. What exactly are you training for and what do you do for a living if you can afford $600 a trip to the range? BTW......the US Army allocates 270 rounds per soldier PER YEAR for qualification on the M4 or M16. I'm crying BS if you say you shoot $600 a trip.

OK so let me get this straight......you shoot 2,000 rounds per day of 9mm.........for training. That comes to $600 at the best price I've seen of $15 a box of 50. What exactly are you training for and what do you do for a living if you can afford $600 a trip to the range? BTW......the US Army allocates 270 rounds per soldier PER YEAR for qualification on the M4 or M16. I'm crying BS if you say you shoot $600 a trip.

He's not saying per trip, he's saying when he takes a class or similar that those are the quantities of ammo expended.

He's not saying per trip, he's saying when he takes a class or similar that those are the quantities of ammo expended.

I'll let the OP respond to see what he says.....his quote is It's typical to shoot 1,000-2,000 rounds PER DAY over several courses but also that his typical range day was 30 mags of 500 rounds.......even 500 rounds of cheep 9mm is $150 a trip. Even at that rate of 500 rounds I'd only be at the range once a month.

My typical range trip I shoot 2-3 rounds of trap when I go then put 20 rounds of .357 through the revolver to stay current and I have a tight group. If I'm with the boy I'll shoot 300 rounds of .22lr and then head home. Comes to about $40 a trip for ammo for me and I'm confidant I'm "current" with my training.

I just looked that up, and it appears that those limits are for "a building or other structure" per section 13.04 of the below. Looks like you can exceed the above QTYs without a permit... you'd just need to get another safe for your shed and/or detached garage! [rofl]
... otherwise known as the infamous "detached garage loophole" [wink]

I'm crying BS if you say you shoot $600 a trip.
even 500 rounds of cheep 9mm is $150 a trip. Even at that rate of 500 rounds I'd only be at the range once a month.
No one ever said that shooting was a cheap sport. [laugh]

Being on a very tight budget, I have to alternate my trips to the range, centerfire vs. rimfire, to keep from going broke. Even a "Tula day" is a $50-$60 day. More typically, a centerfire day can run $80-$100. Two centerfire days in one week and I am hurting badly. All I can say is thank God for rimfire or my trips to the range would be few and far between.

Exactly! Getting a "permit" to stockpile ammo will just put you on somebody's radar. Seriously the only time the amount of ammo you are storing off the books would even come into play was if there was a fire at your house or you got raided by the local JBT crew, and at that point you'd have bigger things to worry about anyway than violating some storage MGL.

Yeah, like the fact that your home owners policy won't pay for the house, and now your family is homeless and lost all of their possessions. That is unless you just happen to be sitting on an extra million dollars to replace your house and everything inside it.

And you have been on somebodies radar for years.

I have a melting pot, molds, a couple of tons of lead, countless empty cases in all calibers I shoot, pounds of powder, many many primers, and 8 reloading machines. I can make ammo til rapture. It is all stored legally and safely. I keep several thousand loaded rounds of handgun and rifle ammo loaded at all times. Shoot a lot, make a lot.

I'll let the OP respond to see what he says.....his quote is It's typical to shoot 1,000-2,000 rounds PER DAY over several courses but also that his typical range day was 30 mags of 500 rounds.......even 500 rounds of cheep 9mm is $150 a trip. Even at that rate of 500 rounds I'd only be at the range once a month.

My typical range trip I shoot 2-3 rounds of trap when I go then put 20 rounds of .357 through the revolver to stay current and I have a tight group. If I'm with the boy I'll shoot 300 rounds of .22lr and then head home. Comes to about $40 a trip for ammo for me and I'm confidant I'm "current" with my training.

I agree, but if it's true then I'm truly jealous because I would think you'd need a REALLY good job to support that kind of shooting on a regular basis, or are single and live in your mom's basement AND have a REALLY good job besides![laugh]

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, like the fact that your home owners policy won't pay for the house, and now your family is homeless and lost all of their possessions. That is unless you just happen to be sitting on an extra million dollars to replace your house and everything inside it.

And you have been on somebodies radar for years.

Re-read what you quoted. Like I said, at that point you'd have bigger things to worry about...

Ammo is cheaper by the case.

I know it is, unfortunately for some, dropping $3-500 on a case of ammo at one time is simply not an option, but dropping a spare $20 on a few boxes is doable. In my case, it isn't that I can't afford a case, but would have a much harder time justifying the expenditure to my wife, where spending pocket money whenever I'm at a gun store is a non-issue and trust me it adds up very nicely as long as you never shoot more than you can afford to replace.

It's typical to shoot 1,000-2,000 rounds PER DAY.
Well, that explains the ammo shortage. [laugh] My entire stash would be gone in less than one week. [sad] Clearly, I need more! [smile]

... trust me it adds up very nicely as long as you never shoot more than you can afford to replace.
Am I the only one who violates this rule rather routinely, at least on a short term basis? [grin] Thank God that there is an off-season when I can try to save and rebuild the stash for the coming year. [wink]

Enough is relative.
I find myself shooting about 1k rounds of centerfire a month spread out over 7 calibers and roughly a similar amount of 22LR.
Given the frequent shortages of usually 9mm, I have shifted my allowable (without extra permit) amount to overweight 9mm and underweight .380 acp.
Recently after a new purchase I need to throw 5.56 into the mix which will take some thought.

Back
Top Bottom