• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many would you need to feel safe ?

500 rounds per caliber, minimum.
But also backups- more worried about a failure of equipment. 2X AR's, a couple of PCC's, two glocks, 2x .22's.

you have 1,2, guns whatever!!.Whats the bare min no of rounds you feel you need to make you feel safe, AND no silly answers like 100k or 10,000 etc. Take into account nov 4 and the current lack of ammo and NO i'am not paying $700 for 500 9mm. I'am thinking this is going through a lot of guy's heads right now
We have 3 center fire rifles, including a Mini 14; two rimfire rifles including a 10/22; and 3 12 gauge 870s, two of which are set up for pure combat. We keep 300 rounds of 12 gauge OO buck, slugs and birdshot; 1,800 rounds of M193 and M855 5.56mm ball, 800 rounds of .308 ball and soft point and 4,000 rounds of .22LR solid and HP high-velocity ammunition. We also have a GAMO .177 air rifle and a Daisy 25 pump action BB gun. Our relatively small gun safe is completely full. No room for any more. We have FID and my wife's resident alien rifle/shotgun permit. We have all we need for hunting, home defense and target shooting.

you have 1,2, guns whatever!!.Whats the bare min no of rounds you feel you need to make you feel safe, AND no silly answers like 100k or 10,000 etc. Take into account nov 4 and the current lack of ammo and NO i'am not paying $700 for 500 9mm. I'am thinking this is going through a lot of guy's heads right now
Speaking of which, what is the max that you (or others) would pay for say, a case of good quality name brand brass 9mm?

Last edited:
You know things are scarce when you have a way better inventory of guns and ammo at home, than your local Cabellas has on the shelf.

But I think that if there ever comes a day when you need more than 1000 rounds, there will likely be plenty of spare guns and ammo laying on the ground.

This right here is why I'm not worried. Do you have any idea how many hours of call of duty I've racked up over the years? Hell I was ranked back in the day!! [rofl2] [wink]

Seriously though, that is a good reason to have your primary weapons chambered in 5.56 and 9mm.

I can't see MA getting hunted out. That said I keep meaning to buy some salt licks. Need some nets too, and maybe one of those battery fishing rigs. The F&G guides that tell you all the ways to catch fish that are illegal are a good guide. The guys that think F&G laws apply during the apocalypse crack me up.

I never exceed the legal limits for storage as defined by the Commonwealth.
I would be guessing at how many rounds of 22 and 5.56 I have in the locker. I actually found another ammo can of M855 green tips a couple weeks ago while I was cleaning out the garage. I don't even remember when I bought it.
For bolt action rifles I try to keep at least a couple hundred rounds of match grade ammo on hand and then enough target ammo to practice.
Carry guns only a hundred or so rounds of "carry" ammo. And enough to practice with.
What makes it tough is that all the different calibers. I have 8 different calibers of handgun ammo and 6 rifle, plus 12 ga. So people say "oh, that's a lot of ammo". Not if you actually shoot your guns.
Some calibers you shoot a lot, some not so much. I got a really good deal on 44 mag, but probably won't shoot a thousand rounds in my life. 9mm, 45 etc. you can go through 1000 rounds in a few months at the range.

I laugh when people skinflint about the price of a firearm. Guns are cheap. It's the ammo that's expensive. In a guns lifetime it's pretty easy to feed it $3k worth of ammo,

Yep, with a third as many people as today...

Along with decades of much more restrictive hunting. Areas around cities are f***ed either way. However, I live in an area with 50+ deer per sq. mile. That's a LOT of meat to kill and store. Over a long enough period of time everywhere will end up f***ed, granted. There is also a much small percentage of the population that knows how to hunt these days. Plenty of areas will have food to be hunted for quite a while. Hell Texas could heat hogs for decades.

Were talking about something that happened when the greatest generation had to step up. The past few generations can't hold a candle...

When the shelves start sagging under the weight of all the cases of ammo, I actually start feeling a little unsafe.

More of them had guns and a rural hunting upbringing. Plus there were less deer in a lot of places.
If only 10% of the US decided to go out and hunt, that is around 30M people. A single person requires a lot of food per day. An active person (hunter) will require more. There aren't enough wild animals.

How much ammo is enough? That is like asking a raging alcoholic how big a liquor store would have to be, to keep him happy till his last day on earth? [rofl2]

I'm comfortable with how much I have when I watch a good scary zombie movie and can sleep like baby after watching it.
Knowing full well I have enough ammo to survive the sequel and up till about the thirteenth movie and still have plenty left over to kill all the alien invaders coming next! [smile]

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQWb-5nblx4

Last edited:
If only 10% of the US decided to go out and hunt, that is around 30M people. A single person requires a lot of food per day. An active person (hunter) will require more. There aren't enough wild animals.
Spread out over the entire country I don't think it will be a problem most places. All these little 20 acre conservation land swamps in MA are full of food.

How much ammo do I want?
Just one round more than I need.

You have to subtract all the plebs that run for the FEMA camps, continually decreasing pop. numbers and those least prepared starve in the first month or two, people trapped inside dem shithole metro areas. You're not casually heading out of DC to go hunt in the country and bring back some food. You'll become food for the masses first.

With the population numbers the big metros have, I wouldn't be surprised if half the people in the country couldn't create the opportunity to hunt more than birds, vermin, cats and dogs, etc... when they are trapped in those areas. I do mean trapped BTW. Don't think for one second places like NYC and shitcago won't raise the bridges immediately.

I am on the hunt for mags rather than ammo at this point. No number of rounds is good in the box! Unless I see 9mm/5.56 for a reasonable price around 30-45 cpr I am not budging. If you own a 12/20 ga that seems to be more reasonable for target loads if you trap shoot.

My rule of thumb has been(only for the short time of ownership) keep at least 1k of quality brass per caliber and as much target/steel as you can afford to practice with. Between myself and my father in law we have more than plenty to weather the storm if we did want to go shoot the rifles or handguns. Just makes more sense to trap shoot especially since hunting season is back.

Back
Top Bottom