How many rounds is enough?

I'm gonna say, as ammo goes, if we are talking SHTF, then we are most likely talking about very little to no access to ammo after whatever happens, happens so the answer is there is never enough.

In that case we should all invest in some good tools so we can easily extract the lead from the zombies, so not only recover your brass but retrieve your lead! Is there a way to make homegrown primers? [wink]

Here are my thoughts. How much can you carry and still be mobile so you can get out of a shtf situation. Id rather have the ability to fight my way out then hunker down into a drawn out battle. Now if you talking as a resource for bartering then id rather have a little of everything so i can trade for what i really need without dipping into my carry stash.

Here are my thoughts. How much can you carry and still be mobile so you can get out of a shtf situation. Id rather have the ability to fight my way out then hunker down into a drawn out battle. Now if you talking as a resource for bartering then id rather have a little of everything so i can trade for what i really need without dipping into my carry stash.

You are the weakest link.... goodbye.

1. If TSHF I will stay put and fortify my position unless absolutely impossible.
2. If I have to go "Mobile" my 4wd pick up can haul an ass ton of ammo.
3.If driving is not an option, I will force my prisoners to hump ammo for me. ( read prisoners as liberal neighbors that I will enslave and motivate with a cattle prod, and view as a potential food source if things get really bad) (no, I am not really serious)
4. If you have to ask " How much ammo is enough", you only have a fraction of what you need.

Wait a minute. Massachusetts has a 10k limit on ammo accumulation? It is on ALL calibers? So, the guy who buys 10,000 rimfire .22 rounds has to follow the same rule as the guy who just bought 10,000 50 cal rounds? Seems to me that it should be based on the accumulation of powder. How many millions of .22 could be made from the 50 cal rounds? Same for .45, 40, 9mm, etc, etc. Yep, someone's getting screwed! Just an observation.

Rome

Wait a minute. Massachusetts has a 10k limit on ammo accumulation? It is on ALL calibers? So, the guy who buys 10,000 rimfire .22 rounds has to follow the same rule as the guy who just bought 10,000 50 cal rounds? Seems to me that it should be based on the accumulation of powder. How many millions of .22 could be made from the 50 cal rounds? Same for .45, 40, 9mm, etc, etc. Yep, someone's getting screwed! Just an observation.

Rome

The only ones getting screwed are the ones paying attention to that law.

Rome

No there are separate amounts for RF, CF and shotgun.

Getting a permit is so simple that it shouldn't be an issue at all (other than allegations that the Constitution should cover it) for anyone.

OMG....so cheap. The Argentine Mauser now sell for around $500-600, and once in a while I see some for $700-850.

My dad has an Argentine Mauser that he bought from Monkey Wards for under $20 in the early '60s. I grab him a box of ammo for it every time I stop by Collectable Arms & Ammo. I pay as much for every 20 rounds of ammo as he paid for the rifle.

all of them is enough

Yes.

In a discussion with an idiot, he said that there was no reason that more than ten round magazines were necessary. I asked him why police carried 18 round magazines. He said they protect us. I smiled and said, So do I.

I carry a 45 P14 in a shoulder holster, 2 extra mags in the other side of the rig, and a box of 50 in my console with 4 boxes of 50 in the locked back of the truck. All 230 grain FMJ, and I can get through the other side of the wall if I need to. In defense, on US soil, I have fired 3 rounds in 50 years. I still carry a little extra here.

11 pages for a troll question!
Good job!
Now back to what is your favorite lube and is 9mm really all that and a bag of chips?
Are AR-15's and Glocks legal to own or transfer in MA?
Is this mag pre-ban?
Who sells ammo to MA residences?

Is Maura her real first name or is that made up too?

Oh, crap we brought a 2015 thread back to life...Again![devil]

Last edited:
So, my preferred caliber for handguns is 9mm.

Currently, I have 3000 rounds as my "SHTF stash." This is put away and not touched.

Is it enough? I am speaking just for handguns...not long guns.

What say you?
depends on your SHTF ....are you locking down and staying put OR are you off and running? what can you carry, where can you go and how much water do you need.

You guys did it again I read two or pages, liked 5 or 6 posts, then found out this was in 2015. Anyway Andy thought Barney only needed ONE!

I'm curious what kind of situation can be resolved by no less than 3,000 rounds of 9mm?
And what else you can buy with the money spent there?

My observation is that most “preppers” have enough ammo for 100 years, enough food for months, enough water for a few days, and enough medical supplies to treat a paper cut.

That model should be reversed.

Back
Top Bottom