How many rounds is enough?

I have far more mags loaded with ammo than 1,200rds. Obviously I can't carry 56 mags, but it's enough to load out two fire teams without handling loose ammo. I have three family members in my house with their own ARs, that can use them effectively.

My idea of having enough is think of a reasonable situation that could occur, and then have more than that.

The main differences here are what each person views as "reasonable". There are so many factors beyond "needing" ammo for self defense that make it prudent to purchase more than you would typically use such as:
1) Ammo prices don't go down
2) Ammo shortages happen, possibly restricting how you train
3) Unforseen events happen and you can't plan after the fact.

I enjoyed going through the post Sandy Hook shit show and never worrying about even rationing my ammo or training schedule, let alone concerned how I was going to find ammo at all.

I got into guns pretty much around the time of Sandy Hook. It suuuuuucked. I cant see how anyone who went through that can look down on someone as being a hoarder. (not aimed @ xtry)

As someone else said, it really is like toilet paper. Youre always going to be using it (unless you for whatever reason see yourself getting bored with guns and giving them up for something else), if the price is right and you have the means, its asinine to buy just one and use it until its almost gone and then look for another box/case.

I think price insulation is a legit reason to stockpile ammo. Because I reload, I also stockpile components.

What is reasonable for quantities is directly tied to your income and storage capacities.

I don't think that is a crazy statement.

[kiss]

attachment.php
Who is that in the yoga pants? [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think price insulation is a legit reason to stockpile ammo. Because I reload, I also stockpile components.

What is reasonable for quantities is directly tied to your income and storage capacities.

I don't think that is a crazy statement.
I have major storage space limitations [angry]

So how many bayonets are enough? 10 per rifle? What if they get dull after thousands of zombies, what will you do?

One per rife is enough. Did you know that there is bayonet with an adapter for pre ban, 16", AR's? I might have to resort to a reload if the bayonet gets that dull. Lol.

Last edited:
How many can you carry ?

You'll wish you had more when they come for you.

I'm a 9mm guy and a .22lr.

My round of choice is .22lr. I can throw 2 bricks in a backpack and barely notice the weight. With my light rifle I can do head shots all day long at 100 yards and hit a paper plate at 200. That's more than enough for the woods in NE where you are lucky if you have a clear shot 60 yards away.

Anyway...most people can barely hit a target that is not moving after taking all the time in the world to aim, whatever your choice, make sure you can actually hit something.

As i was moving some of my ammo from the storage lockers in the workshop, I filled my Gregory Palisades 80 backpack to capacity (5730 Cu inches )to see how much it weighed, I put in 5.56, 45 ACP and 22LR in equal portions by size and in containers, anyone want to guess the weight???

As i was moving some of my ammo from the storage lockers in the workshop, I filled my Gregory Palisades 80 backpack to capacity (5730 Cu inches )to see how much it weighed, I put in 5.56, 45 ACP and 22LR in equal portions by size and in containers, anyone want to guess the weight???

Too heavy to lift without the straps tearing off? [laugh]

Over 100# depending how much you actually fit. A .50 cal ammo can filled with 5.56 or 9mm weigs roughly 35#.

Ok - serious answer.

About four years ago, Mike ( Dr. Grant ) commented on a thread in a thread where someone asked what would you do with if you came in to x amount of dollars. His answer was to lay in as much ammo as you could because it wasn't going to get any cheaper, really doesn't go bad if you store it right, and sooner or later it will get used. I thought, "That is actually damn good advice"

So, I bought one of those double door, locking, office type of storage cabinets, used for short money. Basically like this....
13709.jpg

Then I started to buy ammo by the case, by the box or whenever I found a good deal. I stopped buying guns for a while and focused on ammo. I am not going to say exactly how much ammo I have but the cabinet is pretty much full, and like Mike says, you would for sure need a forklift to move it.
I have more 5.56 and 22 than anything else ( by far ) but I stock - 5.56, 7.62 (308), 30-06, 300 win mag, 30-30, .22, .223, 9mm, .40, 45,38 spcl, 357 mag, 44 special, 44 mag, 12ga 00buck, bird shot and slug.

Sooo, I almost have enough.

Ok - serious answer.

About four years ago, Mike ( Dr. Grant ) commented on a thread in a thread where someone asked what would you do with if you came in to x amount of dollars. His answer was to lay in as much ammo as you could because it wasn't going to get any cheaper, really doesn't go bad if you store it right, and sooner or later it will get used. I thought, "That is actually damn good advice"

So, I bought one of those double door, locking, office type of storage cabinets, used for short money. Basically like this....
13709.jpg

Then I started to buy ammo by the case, by the box or whenever I found a good deal. I stopped buying guns for a while and focused on ammo. I am not going to say exactly how much ammo I have but the cabinet is pretty much full, and like Mike says, you would for sure need a forklift to move it.
I have more 5.56 and 22 than anything else ( by far ) but I stock - 5.56, 7.62 (308), 30-06, 300 win mag, 30-30, .22, .223, 9mm, .40, 45,38 spcl, 357 mag, 44 special, 44 mag, 12ga 00buck, bird shot and slug.

Sooo, I almost have enough.

You only have ONE almost filled? Not enough....

Back
Top Bottom