• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many rounds from this press?

I finally cracked my Square Deal B press and need to send it out for repair. As I was packing up the components, I noticed the wear on the loaded round chute and the caked on grime on the right side of the handle. Right hand grabs brass out of tub and places it in station 1, then grabs handle.

So, how many rounds would you estimate I've run though this old work horse?
I'll hold off on saying when I got the press, and other clues for now.
Any guesses based solely on the pictures? 20210210_121159.jpg 20210210_121145_001.jpg 20210210_121335.jpg 20210210_121242.jpg

The only one that counts is the last load before you broke it!!
Oh its been broken (cracked but still useable) for a couple of months now. I just finally had some time to take it apart and box it up for return/free repair. The wear on the cartridge chute is what really got me.

I finally cracked my Square Deal B press and need to send it out for repair. As I was packing up the components, I noticed the wear on the loaded round chute and the caked on grime on the right side of the handle. Right hand grabs brass out of tub and places it in station 1, then grabs handle.

So, how many rounds would you estimate I've run though this old work horse?
I'll hold off on saying when I got the press, and other clues for now.
Any guesses based solely on the pictures?View attachment 449718View attachment 449719View attachment 449720View attachment 449722
Cast pot metal POS, look at that ding on the chute ABUSE! Dirty hand bastard! That tape on the shoot....hack! Good job !
The OCD crowd must be going bat shit crazy.
So is that mold growing on your nasty hand skin oils! Lol i hope its got some good years on it.

Cast pot metal POS, look at that ding on the chute ABUSE! Dirty hand bastard! That tape on the shoot....hack! Good job !
The OCD crowd must be going bat shit crazy.
So is that mold growing on your nasty hand skin oils! Lol i hope its got some good years on it.
Dillon has always tried to go cheap on mfg rather than raise prices or lower margins. It's always been "good enough" - pot metal instead of cast iron; cast iron instead of a machined part; etc.

One interesting this was the evolution of the 1050. They cheapened the linkage getting rid of the round roller bearing linkage and replacing it with a cheaper J shaped link to do the same thing. Then, when the introduced the 1100 brought the nicer linkage back as a feature. I don't know if the photo of the Super 1050 is front on not showing the cheaper linkage is coincidence or marketing.

And no less than Brian Enos told me the old 1050 was better than the Super 1050 except for the longer length to load 7.62/.308.

Is that wear on the cartridge shoot of the Square Deal or lead scuz from unjacketed bullets?

Dillon has always tried to go cheap on mfg rather than raise prices or lower margins. It's always been "good enough" - pot metal instead of cast iron; cast iron instead of a machined part; etc.

One interesting this was the evolution of the 1050. They cheapened the linkage getting rid of the round roller bearing linkage and replacing it with a cheaper J shaped link to do the same thing. Then, when the introduced the 1100 brought the nicer linkage back as a feature. I don't know if the photo of the Super 1050 is front on not showing the cheaper linkage is coincidence or marketing.

And no less than Brian Enos told me the old 1050 was better than the Super 1050 except for the longer length to load 7.62/.308.

Is that wear on the cartridge shoot of the Square Deal or lead scuz from unjacketed bullets?
Im just joking around, love seeing equipment get used and worn out. Just hope the op does not turn around and say 3000 rounds!

Im just joking around, love seeing equipment get used and worn out. Just hope the op does not turn around and say 3000 rounds!
O gosh no! I would do much more than that per year when I was shooting/practicing IPSC/USPSA every week.

I got this first Dillon SD-B shortly after buying my first home in 1989.

Than a few years later, I met Boudrie and the mass consumption of ammunition began in earnest. [laugh]

Classification Lookup System​

Shooter Information
Shooter Name:Michael Chludenski
Member Number:L2545
Joined USPSA:9/10/96
Membership Expiry Date:LIFE
RO Certification Info
RO Certification Level:RO
Multigun Endorsement:No
RO Certification Date:Feb 15, 1997
RO Certification Expiry:May 31, 2021
NROI Work Record