• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many rounds do you carry?

I usually keep the 686 loaded with 2 spare speed loaders on hand for a total of 18 rounds. If that much .357 isn't enough to stop the fight, then I really bit off more than I can chew.

Since I carrying for self-protection, not law enforcement, all I need it what will fit in one mag, the one in the gun. Honestly, this amount should be plenty to stop an attack of 1-3 attackers. if I need more than that, I'm likely in south Chicago.

Since I carrying for self-protection, not law enforcement, all I need it what will fit in one mag, the one in the gun. Honestly, this amount should be plenty to stop an attack of 1-3 attackers. if I need more than that, I'm likely in south Chicago.

You don't know what you'll need until you're in the fight. You don't know if/when you're going to walk into a world of shit any day of the week. Its all about balancing the risks with the rewards, but to say you definitively that you know you wont NEED more is setting yourself up. I'm hoping that if/when I walk into that shit I'll have enough and hopefully a little extra when I walk out. To each their own, MYOFB, etc etc.

For work, I carry 11+ 1 of .40, with 2 10 round mags in a belt pouch. Apparently the 11 round mags are hard to find for 3rd gen S&W .40's. Mostly all my co workers have 10 rounders so I'm lucky to have one standard cap mag to have loaded in the gun.

10 + 1 9mm Glock 26 off duty CCW.

Depends on what season and what I am carrying.

Spring/Summer usually depending on attire I carry 2 firearms and a edged weapon/knife. 7+1 of 9mm, 6+1 .380 ACP

Fall/Winter usually depending on attire I carry 3 firearms and a edged weapon/knife. 8+1 of 45 ACP, 5 357 MAG and 6+1 .380 ACP

Depends on what season and what I am carrying.

Spring/Summer usually depending on attire I carry 2 firearms and a edged weapon/knife. 7+1 of 9mm, 6+1 .380 ACP

Fall/Winter usually depending on attire I carry 3 firearms and a edged weapon/knife. 8+1 of 45 ACP, 5 357 MAG and 6+1 .380 ACP

What, no blunt weapon like a bat or a club as well? Fail [rofl]

If you know what you're going to need, then you know enough to not need it at all, because you could simply avoid the time/place where it's needed.

The only reason you're carrying is because you don't know when or if you'll need a gun, so it's impossible to say how much gun you will or won't need.

Carry as much as you're comfortable with. A 5 shot .38 in the pocket beats a rifle with 180 rounds back home in the safe, but carrying spare mags for your pistol is no more hassle than carrying the pistol itself.

A bonus to carrying spare magazines is that they help balance the load between strong side and weak.

Occasionally my answers are a bit glib. I have also been accused of over doing the whole preparedness thing. I try to think through the worst case scenario, and be reasonably prepared for it. Sometimes I up my level, sometimes I scale it back. By example I would state that I could only need a few rounds to save myself, or I could be caught in a mall shooting where I need as many rounds as I can get my hands on. You can hem and haw about whether it is likely I would be in a mall when there was any kind of an attack - but if the police train and prepare for it, I see no reason not to also be prepared for it.

Apparently I pissed some people off. Good, I'm glad. However, I was not trying to say what you should carry because honestly idgaf. But if you need a pocketbook bigger than my wife's to carry all your ammo maybe it's a bit excessive. I carry what I feel is enough for me, not all of Gotham but if you think you need it have at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't think you were telling people what to carry. Just sayin'

Thank you, I agree. However one person said 100, another said 500 and someone else said w.e plus a freezer bag. I asked my buddy who was infantry in the marines and has multiple confirmed kills, he told me while on patrol they carry 180 rounds, if you think you need more than a marine does during war I think you're crazy. Not to mention many other posts agreed with me. Personally I don't understand why someone would want to carry the weight of 30+ rounds on a daily basis. However I never advocated anything near mag limits. Obviously six round mag limits is ridiculous and we should be able to own large capacity, I just don't want to carry them daily. Also I never called myself a dbag (not my words) many of you could have made your point without sounding like a dbag yourself (explain why I'm wrong, which some if you did and I respect). I train often and feel confident in my abilities and accuracy to protect myself with slightly less rounds. I don't think 15 extra rounds are necessary in my daily routine, however if you do then carry them, that is your right and I believe in that right. If you still think I'm a dbag then awesome idgaf but as someone else said I live in New England not some 'Stan

Its not that youre wrong or that youre right. Its the way youre telling people what they do and do not NEED. People here dont like other people involved in what they can and cannot do regarding firearms. Go read my post about risks.

Ohh and your war comparison sucks because 1 guy's individual preferances doesnt equate to everyone in war. Glad he came home safe but he weighed his own risks to come up with the number of rounds while someone else decided more or less. Its the individual's determination not yours and to call someone crazy to determining more than you... That makes you a dbag.

Its not that youre wrong or that youre right. Its the way youre telling people what they do and do not NEED. People here dont like other people involved in what they can and cannot do regarding firearms. Go read my post about risks.

Ohh and your war comparison sucks because 1 guy's individual preferances doesnt equate to everyone in war. Glad he came home safe but he weighed his own risks to come up with the number of rounds while someone else decided more or less. Its the individual's determination not yours and to call someone crazy to determining more than you... That makes you a dbag.

I didn't see that he was actually "telling" people what they need, or "should" carry at all. He was just questioning why some feel the need to walk around daily with 60 rounds or more in some cases when you aren't in a war zone, on duty, etc. He already clarified that he is not against carrying whatever you are comfortable with, or that he is for limiting mags, or any other bullshit so I don't understand why he got pigpiled so bad over a question/opinion. Honestly, I feel like that's one of the biggest failings of this otherwise great site. You can have any opinion you want as long as it is the same as everyone else's...[rolleyes] The simple reality is that we don't live in a movie, so none of us are likely to ever be involved in a shootout where multiple reloads would ever come into play, so if you can't solve your confrontation with the 10 or 15 rounds in your gun, it is likely not going to be viewed as a "defensive" shooting at that point anyway. For me personally, I just can't tolerate any extra bulk, or weight above what is absolutely necessary for my day to day activities, so carrying a gun, smart phone, and wallet is already more than enough for my taste. I generally don't even carry keys because my wife's car has a transponder (which I pocket carry when necessary), and my vehicle has a keypad, so I generally lock the keys inside so I don't have to carry them, or risk losing/misplacing them. Keypad for home too, which also has the added benefit of not worrying about kids losing your house key as well. I can't speak for that other guy, but I say if you are comfortable CCing an AK, go for it if it's comfortable for you, it just wouldn't be for me which is why I carry a compact 9mm.

You don't know what you'll need until you're in the fight. You don't know if/when you're going to walk into a world of shit any day of the week. Its all about balancing the risks with the rewards, but to say you definitively that you know you wont NEED more is setting yourself up. I'm hoping that if/when I walk into that shit I'll have enough and hopefully a little extra when I walk out. To each their own, MYOFB, etc etc.

There's also the small satisfaction when your daughter taps your weak hand jacket pocket to see that you've got an extra mag if her situational awareness makes her the slightest bit nervous.

Damn, I wish assachusetts issued LTC-A's for 14 year-olds with a clue.

Thank you, I agree. However one person said 100, another said 500 and someone else said w.e plus a freezer bag. I asked my buddy who was infantry in the marines and has multiple confirmed kills, he told me while on patrol they carry 180 rounds, if you think you need more than a marine does during war I think you're crazy. Not to mention many other posts agreed with me. Personally I don't understand why someone would want to carry the weight of 30+ rounds on a daily basis. However I never advocated anything near mag limits. Obviously six round mag limits is ridiculous and we should be able to own large capacity, I just don't want to carry them daily. Also I never called myself a dbag (not my words) many of you could have made your point without sounding like a dbag yourself (explain why I'm wrong, which some if you did and I respect). I train often and feel confident in my abilities and accuracy to protect myself with slightly less rounds. I don't think 15 extra rounds are necessary in my daily routine, however if you do then carry them, that is your right and I believe in that right. If you still think I'm a dbag then awesome idgaf but as someone else said I live in New England not some 'Stan

First off . . . 30 rds of what? .380 would weigh ounces, whereas .45 would weigh pounds.

Second . . . when I read some of Zappa's pager posts, there are parts of Boston that are "war zones", seriously. As a kid growing up, my Grandparents lived on and near some of those streets where almost daily shootings and stabbings are being reported. I used to walk around there with no fear and today I wouldn't even drive by that area with multiple guns on the seat of the car.

There are manners of dress where the extra ammo balances out the weight of a gun on the other hip, such that it isn't really a burden for most of us. Good holsters, gun belt and ammo carriers of some sort make all the difference in the world. When I carried a .380, I also carried an "ammo wallet" with 12 or 18 rds of ammo in my back pocket plus a spare mag (probably held 7, don't recall as I haven't carried a .380 in probably 10 years or more). When I carried a full-size 1911 (all steel) I carried 2 spare mags (total of 25 rds), again no big deal . . . because due to listening to some smarter friends, I bought/wore proper equipment (real gun belt, top-notch holster, good mag holders, etc.).

Like almost everyone, when I got into CCW, I bought the cheapest holsters, wore a cheap belt and never had any mag holders. Yes it was uncomfortable and dumb on my part but I didn't know any better . . . all my fellow shooters back then were bullseye shooters, didn't CCW so nobody to learn from. You guys have a leg up by reading these forums, trying/seeing some friend's gear and some shops even carry a limited line of the better stuff now (unheard of in the 1970s-80s)!

YMMV

I was taught young to carry what feels right!

Sent from my treestand

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383315411057.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383315411057.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom