• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many rounds do you carry?

9+1 in the M&P 40c, and 10 in the spare mag. 20 total. I know it seems strange to some (or perhaps most), but I just throw a full mag in, hit the slide release, holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do I sound like an anti gun d-bag when u ask who needs to carry more then 16 rounds? I only carry 10+1 but if I need more then 6 then something's not right. I'm not expecting to enter a war zone. I'll use it to protect myself and my family but if I can't hit or scare the enemy after I few rounds then shame on me but some of you guys have said 30 or more, who are you firing 30 rounds at?

in Ruger sr9c w/10 rd mag IWB, 1 extra mag in little pink sock I appropriated from daughter in front pocket
no, not embarrassed, sr9c trumps pink

Do I sound like an anti gun d-bag when u ask who needs to carry more then 16 rounds? I only carry 10+1 but if I need more then 6 then something's not right.

I dont think its a matter of the round count. Full gun and an extra mag is pretty standard, its the guys walking around with 2 or 3 extra mags that I don't get.

Oh and I carry 6 or 12 rounds depending on dress and ocassion.

rounds

When you carry concealed, how many rounds do you typically have on your person? I'll start...

Cold months -> 54 rounds of 9MM (15+1 in pistol, two 19 round magazines in OWB holster)
Warm months -> 30 rounds of 9MM (10+1 in pistol, one 19 round magazine in IWB holster)

at least 20 of anything

Do I sound like an anti gun d-bag when u ask who needs to carry more then 16 rounds? I only carry 10+1 but if I need more then 6 then something's not right. I'm not expecting to enter a war zone. I'll use it to protect myself and my family but if I can't hit or scare the enemy after I few rounds then shame on me but some of you guys have said 30 or more, who are you firing 30 rounds at?

No, not to me you don't because I feel the same way. I don't see the point in lugging around all of that extra weight and bulk. I suppose if you are a really big guy that weighs 250+, then maybe it is easier to hide and carry more crap. That being said, I do carry a spare mag very occasionally if my carry rig, or attire makes it convenient. While mag failures can occur, I feel that the odds are very low/almost nonexistent if you carry newer, well maintained equipment. As I said earlier, if I'm on my way to a gunfight, a rifle and some high cap mags are coming along too. I think the only thing anyone may call you out as being a d-bag for is that its their choice what, or how much they are comfortable carrying. Some of the posts in here definitely made me laugh with guys carrying 2-3 guns AND a few spare high cap mags too (if it was actually true and not just said to be humorous).

I dont think its a matter of the round count. Full gun and an extra mag is pretty standard, its the guys walking around with 2 or 3 extra mags that I don't get.

Oh and I carry 6 or 12 rounds depending on dress and ocassion.

It's when the baseplate of a brand new mag shears off and dumps everything on the ground. Walther had a bad batch of plastic baseplates made (no markings to distinguish good from bad). Or you are surrounded by 2-4 thugs and even if you get off ALL COM shots, they don't go down or run away. These incidents can make you a "believer" that it is better to have too many than not enough.

I've also had the feed lips split on a new 1911 mag so it was trying to double-feed.

Since every failure was on the range, it was all good.

I hope none of us ever have to learn these things in a real SD situation.

As for carrying extra ammo . . . doesn't have to be on the belt. Both 5.11 Strykr pants and Tru-Spec pants have internal double mag pockets in each side cargo pocket. Shooters Outpost has the 5.11 pants (not cheap at $70, but same price everywhere including mail-order) and Tru-Spec seems to only be available online . . . both available in men and women sizes.

It depends on what day it is. On Mon, Wed, and Fri I carry 0+none.. On Tue and Thur also 0+none Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring...yup 0+none .......oh yeah I forgot to mention since I live in a shity town called lowell that's all I'm allowed to carry or should I say "not carry" [rolleyes]

Yes, you do sound like a douche bag.

Sent from my phone.

yup you do

Last edited:

yup you sound like a d bag. Who the hell are you to tell someone how many rounds they should carry.......are you some kind of expert? I think you are a d bag for your comment and I only carry 5 rounds in my revolver.......personally that's what I feel comfortable with for the weight comfort vs what I feel I need for protection. if someone out there wants a 9mm loaded with 10 plus 1 with 5 extra mags is it hurting you? So why would you worry about it? Maybe you would feel more comfortable in new York state

complete douchebag.

J_Fry sounds like the poster who said "what do we REALLY need AR's for? Maybe we should give them up to pacify the anti-gun movement" I don't recall who that was at the moment, but I got a kick out of that thread [laugh]

I'm not concerned so much with rounds as spare mags. Mags get dropped, the jam, you run out of bullets because all the holes you put in the guy hasn't stopped the attack. That's why.

I'm not concerned so much with rounds as spare mags. Mags get dropped, the jam, you run out of bullets because all the holes you put in the guy hasn't stopped the attack. That's why.

Exactly. My standard capacity Glock magazines are older than I am, so I want to be sure that I've always got 1 or 2 extras to deal with any malfunctions.

Do I sound like an anti gun d-bag when u ask who needs to carry more then 16 rounds? I only carry 10+1 but if I need more then 6 then something's not right.

Something's not right? You don't say? We're talking about repelling someone with deadly force... Yeah, hmm, I would say that "Something's not right" is DEFINITELY true at that point. [rofl]

Seriously? [thinking]

-Mike

When I first bought my brand new M&P it came with two mags. Since I only had the two for a while, when I went to the range I'd swap out the rounds with cheapo stuff. After 10 or so range trips I pulled my spare magazine from my pocket and stripped off the first two rounds, I found that the follower wasn't following and easily dumped the rest of the rounds out in my hand.

A couple things:
These were new mags in a new gun
I practiced with this mag putting probably close to a 1000 rounds through it before I found the problem
This was one of two I carried - (one in gun)

I was without a doubt carrying around a gun that would have fired twice and then jammed - it's a good thing that I always carried two

Apparently I pissed some people off. Good, I'm glad. However, I was not trying to say what you should carry because honestly idgaf. But if you need a pocketbook bigger than my wife's to carry all your ammo maybe it's a bit excessive. I carry what I feel is enough for me, not all of Gotham but if you think you need it have at it

It comes down to personal choice. Ultimately there is some evidence that many gun jams are magazine related, and you should have a second magazine in case the first one jams. Also, you never know how many you need, because you never know how many attackers there will be.
Unfortunately, fudd speak, like "if I need more than seven" lead NY to the 7 round SAFE act in some ways.

Now that being said, you have every right to make your own decision on how many rounds and how many guns you carry, if any at all. As long as you have a disclaimer that this is your choice, and you do not begrudge someone for making one different than yours.

Often the pocket revolver is all someone is willing to throw in the pocket on the way out the door for a number of reasons. (weight, ease of carry, concealability, weather, etc.) However when weather, comfort, etc permits, why not carry more if you dont mind the weight?

If I knew I needed a gun somewhere, I wouldnt go there. If I absolutely had to go there, I wouldn't bring a handgun, I would bring a rifle.
Expand this to, if I knew I needed a gun with only 5 rounds, I still wouldn't go there. So carry what you want as is appropriate.

If 30+ rounds of pistol ammo is ridiculous, then 20 is insane, 10 is awful, 7 is more than enough, and 3 would do the trick. One is really all you need, and statistically, you dont need any.

I had a gun fudd at work tell me he was horrified by the fact that people actually carry guns in public, and he isn't anti gun, he is just anti anything that isnt a double barrel or black powder. He couldnt believe anyone would own more than a couple guns, and would carry one. He said the world will become the wild west. He has said that no rounds are acceptable to carry. So if you are going to stare in his face and tell him he is wrong, then where does the line get drawn? We end up with MA laws on 10 round mags made after the Sept '94 date, and it is an arbitrary number, that does nothing to solve problems, just make criminals of peaceful people. THe criminals often dont get charged or get let off.

Apparently I pissed some people off. Good, I'm glad. However, I was not trying to say what you should carry because honestly idgaf. But if you need a pocketbook bigger than my wife's to carry all your ammo maybe it's a bit excessive. I carry what I feel is enough for me, not all of Gotham but if you think you need it have at it

carry whatever you want, but don't spead your opinions about what you feel is "excessive" to the antis. you might as well actively vote to strip the citizens of MA of their rights further. based on your attitude and demeanor i'm guessing you're a lifelong MA resident. that's okay, maybe one day you'll see the light, broseph.

Not pissed off as long as we all understand personal choice, is just that. personal. I don't think you are stupid for carrying what you feel is necessary, as long as I get the same in return.

carry whatever you want, but don't spead your opinions about what you feel is "excessive" to the antis. you might as well actively vote to strip the citizens of MA of their rights further. based on your attitude and demeanor i'm guessing you're a lifelong MA resident. that's okay, maybe one day you'll see the light, broseph.
As always atilla speaks volumes of sense here. jfry you need to understand this site is full of freedom loving people that don't like regulations. when you start talking about how much ammo is excessive people here are going to generally jump on you. Atilla see still a makes a great point...... go talking about your opinion to the antis and they start believing you and say "see even sensible pro 2a people believe in ammo restrictions". the op asked simply how much do YOU carry not what you feel is proper for everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom