How many people carry a full size 1911 daily?

I have two pistols, a full size Dan Wesson Pointman 7 and recently purchased a Sig P938. I love the 1911 and I have a Galco king tuck IWB holster for it. It's ok and fairly comfortable but man is it heavy. I wear it between the 3 -4o'clock position. When I wear my P938 I use an OWB holster and can barely feel it's there so that's good, but at the same time it feels like a pea-shooter compared to the 1911 (psychologically anyways). I'm just curious to see how people out there feel about carrying a full size pistol I guess and if you do, why?

I did for short period of time it is a pain in the ass (even with a good belt, you know the gun is there... all the time) but if someone really wants to do it, it's not unmanageable. Nowadays most of the time I stick to something like my G43 or even the G42.

-Mike

I used to but I tried pocket carry and I'm kinda spoiled on that now (Pocket carrying a smaller pistol like a J frame, not a 1911). Weather and activities play a large roll in what I carry. Winter or outdoors activities, G19. Summer or business dress, G43 or J frame.

I do.
I have a SW1911PD 5" w/ rail.

I carry it in an IWB White Hat Holsters Max Tuck with a Beltman horsehide belt.
I'm about 5'10 and 160lbs hides pretty well at 9 o'clock even with a t shirt. It was a thing at first but it's been about 2-3 years now like this I don't even notice it.

Only time it's an issue is when I sit in bucket seats in a car like my Mustang. I unholster it and mount it on a magnet mount by my leg.

I am looking for a secondary carry for when I absolutely can't deal with a 5" 1911 like at formal events. I just picked up a PPK and will play with that and maybe get a G43 to find what I'll like.

I tried with my P14 in a shoulder rig some years ago, but stopped when I noticed my spine curving to the left. [laugh] Never bothered carrying the Gold Cup (not designed for carry anyway, but did use it in competitons).

Last edited:
Used to carry a 5" all-steel 1911 IWB with 2 mags off-side. The mags helped balance things out quite a bit. As has been said, even with a good belt it's all heavy as ****, and I've since switched to a lighter, full-sized gun.

During the winter months when I can pull off a large sweater I have carried OWB.

I have a S&W 1911 full size, S&W TRR8 (huge even with rails removed) and S&W Governor, I have carried all these (Separately) at some point this season alone.

I do this so I do not show favoritism to one firearm over another.

I tend to buy "tall" sweaters anyway for the winter months and that extra length conceals quite nicely.
A sweater bunching up is quite natural and with a good quality gun belt sits quite well for a long day out in Boston.
The only issue with this method carrying cocked and locked ( I also like to carry the gun in ready to go state as well [rofl]) is that you end up with fluff in the firearm.
I normally hit with a small can of air when I take it off at night.

In the summer I carry a 938

harry

I did for a while. I had one instance when my shirt got stuck between my body and OWB holster and didn't realize it. I rarely carry a 1911 these days as I feel there are better options for me. I have a quality shoulder holster, but unless you can wear one under a blazer or similar jacket, they really aren't that efficient. I occasionally wear one under a sweatshirt, but it still reduces my draw time. My S&W Shield is reliable and easily concealable, so I just stick with that most of the time.

Over 16 years I've been carrying a full size all steel 1911 IWB, but not all the time mind you. Hot summer months I carry something smaller and lighter.

I'm so used to the heavy 1911 it really doesn't bother me anymore. I have an old leather belt my father gave me when I was 15 that I still wear, (although with more holes made every few years!) and it just happens to be a great gun belt. About 1.5" thick with flat metal studs throughout, it holds holsters tight where I want them. I use a Milt Sparks Summer Special II for the 1911.

I did for a long time. Still do here and there. I now carry a lightweight officer. Pulling off a fullsize handgun is all about a good belt/holster.

Full size weighs like 48oz

Officer weighs 27oz

20161223_000938_zps99gmksfb.jpg

First I started with a government model. That was like a ships anchor hanging off your belt. I went to a fancy alloy E series commander S&W. That was a lot lighter. About like a ball and chain. Then I went to a Glock 41. Same size as the government at about 1/2 the weight. I need a full size gun as I have huge hands. When I do carry now it's the G41. Best option I can come up with.

I carried a steel 5" Colt and didn't notice the weight. The only reason I stopped carrying it was that it was getting rusty from me sweating on it.

Over 16 years I've been carrying a full size all steel 1911 IWB, but not all the time mind you. Hot summer months I carry something smaller and lighter.

I'm so used to the heavy 1911 it really doesn't bother me anymore. I have an old leather belt my father gave me when I was 15 that I still wear, (although with more holes made every few years!) and it just happens to be a great gun belt. About 1.5" thick with flat metal studs throughout, it holds holsters tight where I want them. I use a Milt Sparks Summer Special II for the 1911.

I CCW'd a FS steel 1911 for ~2.5 yrs. I had a high quality pancake holster for it, but most of the time carried in a Milt Sparks SSII holster. Even when wearing a T-shirt over it, it worked out fine. Also carried 2 spare mags off-side.

I do sometimes, on the side, but then I start walking in circles.

Easy solution, carry a NY Reload . . . a second FS 1911 on the off-side and you'll be walking straight again. [laugh]

I CCW'd a FS steel 1911 for ~2.5 yrs. I had a high quality pancake holster for it, but most of the time carried in a Milt Sparks SSII holster. Even when wearing a T-shirt over it, it worked out fine. Also carried 2 spare mags off-side.

Easy solution, carry a NY Reload . . . a second FS 1911 on the off-side and you'll be walking straight again. [laugh]

Ahh. This is a much better solution than getting my left boot lowered!

First I started with a government model. That was like a ships anchor hanging off your belt. I went to a fancy alloy E series commander S&W. That was a lot lighter. About like a ball and chain. Then I went to a Glock 41. Same size as the government at about 1/2 the weight. I need a full size gun as I have huge hands. When I do carry now it's the G41. Best option I can come up with.

G21?

- - - Updated - - -

Carried a few never bothered me really. Just don't like the safety so I don't carry them anymlre

I work at home and my entire gun cabinet is within reach of my desk. Does that count?

lol

I do carry my Sig 1911, but not often. I have an IWB kydex holster for it, as well as a Miami (shoulder) rig. I consider it like a "barbecue gun" that only gets worn on special occasions.

My EDC is an M&P9c in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB at 4 o'clock.

Not every day, but every day that I don't care if anyone knows I'm carrying (i.e., everywhere except work).

Yes, it's a pain. Not only does it require a good belt and a good holster, it's best to partially balance the load by carrying plenty of ammo on the opposite side (2x CMC Power Mag 10 rounders for me).

I will drop a .380 in a pocket holster into my left rear pocket for those occasions where I couldn't possibly need a gun. ;)

i don't and have never tried, but met a guy when i joined my first gun club ~1971 who carried 3 full sized 1911's all at once! wore some custom double shoulder rig so one on each side, and used a pancake belt holster and planted the 3rd behind his right hip. always wore a trench coat, winter and summer. i read he passed away not too long ago. he had to be up there in age, he was middle aged when i first met him. totin' around 11-12 pounds daily did him no harm. i bet a few of you know who i'm talking about without giving up a name. [wink]

I carried a full size Sig 1911 w/rails everyday for years, using a Tommy Thies IWB Hybrid. It literally wore a big hole thru both pairs of my jeans at the 7o'clock position, to the point that the muzzle was sticking out thru the hole at times.

I'm not a big guy either, fairly skinny, but had no issues with concealing it even under a Tshirt. After seeing and feeling the muzzle sticking out of the big hole in my pants at Walmart one day and having to re-tuck it back inside, I realized that I had two choices in life, buy new jeans, or buy a compact .45 so the muzzle wasn't near the hole anymore. Easy choice.

One thing that I try to remind myself of is that carrying a firearm concealed is not meant to be comfortable, it is meant to be comforting.

Last edited:
I've carried a quasi gi 1911a1 a few dozen times in a "supper tuck" style holster but my edc in winter in my full size sigma in a simple iwb holster. But then again I am a fat bastard so it's easy for me

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

as many here, i used to. but when i got my sig 220, the weight loss was too much to dismiss out of hand.

i will NEVER give up 230 grains of bullet mass to carry a larger count of a smaller caliber.

Back
Top Bottom