How many NES members are now considered Felons? ATF AR/AK pistol brace fiasco.

Nfdbrian

NES Member
I know a number of people who are running that pistol brace on their AR pistols. A friend of mine at Daniel Defense designed their 300 Blackout pistol, which has been a runaway best seller.

From their website: The DDM4 PDW, with an overall length of 20.75”, comes equipped with the Maxim Defense CQB Pistol Brace,
Reference: DDM4® PDW (300 Blackout)

Maxim Defense says: The CQB PDW Brace uses the SB Tactical Pistol Stabilizing Brace®. The ATF recently issued a reversal letter containing a clarification of the Bureau’s position on the lawful use of SB Tactical braces.
Reference: Maxim CQB Pistol: PDW Brace for AR15 - Maxim Defense

Maxim Defense also posts the reversal letter from the ATF:

I just saw this news break.
It’s the new Biden world developing as we speak.

It’s been going on between the ATF and SB Tactical since 2018. The documents just became publicly known now due to a FOIA request. This is not Biden related. Though, we can expect them to be unleashed by Biden.

I hate to say it but I knew this was coming, braces are low hanging fruit. This is why I'm going the SBR route and not building a pistol with a brace (from another thread).

We can expect this to get worse under Biden. Without the Senate he can't pass new laws, but he can sure as h@ll push new regulation.

For the past year, SB Tactical and other industry partners have been working in good faith with the ATF to come up with set standards, which makes the content of this FOIA request surprising.

I'm trying to think of why a letter from 2018 is surprising under a FOIA request dealing with a company that has been trying to hammer out rules in 2019 and 2020.

I'd be like saying you're surprised the sun came up today b/c it went down last night. Some of these inter web writers just aren't very good at inter web writing.

I'm trying to think of why a letter from 2018 is surprising under a FOIA request dealing with a company that has been trying to hammer out rules in 2019 and 2020.

I'd be like saying you're surprised the sun came up today b/c it went down last night. Some of these inter web writers just aren't very good at inter web writing.

The surprising thing is that the ATF technical office determined the SBA3 is a stock in one application. That’s huge considering the proliferation of SBA3s out there.

The surprising thing is that the ATF technical office determined the SBA3 is a stock in one application. That’s huge considering the proliferation of SBA3s out there.

Oh I get that. That's not what the author said. The author said that considering they were in discussions since late 2019, it is surprising they got a letter in April of 2018. Unless we just swapped to BC and no one told me. ;)

If true, it is outrageous that SB did not get a approval for each of their braces and worse, that they advertised them as compliant.
My understanding is that the ATF stopped giving determination letters to accessories, only to complete firearms, such that they couldn't get one for the bare SBA3.

My understanding is that the ATF stopped giving determination letters to accessories, only to complete firearms, such that they couldn't get one for the bare SBA3.

with cherry picked correspondence I can see that being missed, because I can understand where ATF is coming from (besides wanting to infringe on my rights) distance between the attachment point and pistol grip differs on all firearms. Putting a brace on Mac10 and putting the same brace on Sten would be a dramatic difference in shouldering.

The thing is, ATF are not the smartest bunch, and they know it, not smarter than collective braintrust of all the a**h***s who want freedom, to make money while pushing the envelop of infringement. Collectively, there will always be someone who will come to exploit whatever loophole may be conceived and ATV simply can not cover them all.

This FOIA glimpse is good info, because frankly I thought that SB/Sig were in bed with ATF, but it shows that they are literally playing chicken and pushing their luck behind the scenes.

Unlike bumpstocks, there are a whole lot more people who like them and orders of magnitude more of them in circulation already. As much as ATF would love to confiscate the living crap out of guns, they have to tread careful and not spark the revolt that everyone masturbates to. Even if Biden sneaks into POTUS, I highly doubt that he would be worse than Obummer in gun confiscation, i.e. we'll see many small snubs like bans on importation here and there, but no door-to-door confiscations.

While I've been overweight at times, I've never been a revolting mastrubator. So I've got that going for me.

A whole lot of autism in the alpha bois department. I suggest crayons and safe spaces.
1x1.gif
652028f24673e2db1b4f5da4e2640c48f0ad1c04d4771505758b4a790c5a8d95_1.jpg

I guess I should cancel my 3-month-backordered OD SBA3 at this point...

I just found fs1913 in stock and ordered it last night. SB alone has 4mil+ stocks in circulation and all the other copy cats and free designs to print your own, they may as well push for AWB again. Compliance numbers are not going to look great.

I hate to say it but I knew this was coming, braces are low hanging fruit. This is why I'm going the SBR route and not building a pistol with a brace (from another thread).

We can expect this to get worse under Biden. Without the Senate he can't pass new laws, but he can sure as h@ll push new regulation.

Ya I agree, maybe we see something that clarifies the "law", makes some braces "good" and others "bad", but I don't think in a year we will even be able to buy some of what is available today, nevermind "legally" use them.

I'm going to wait and see a little but I think I am going to go the other route, take what was a pistol and put a light integral muzzle device barrel on there to get to the min 16 inches. When they are light those carbines are close to the same feel, without the legal concerns.

Back
Top Bottom