How many mags?

Setting up GHB's. I carry a 1911, Lady Radtekk carries a G26. Multiple vehicles, multiple bags, many mags for each. Hence my ongoing WTB ads for mags (and yes I'm still looking).

Out of this process I started acquiring mags for other guns also. AR, AK, other handguns, other long guns. So the question is, how many is enough? I have guns I shoot occasionally, others I shoot a lot. What about the 22 (pistol or rifle, got both) I shoot twice a year?

And then the next question: How many to keep loaded?

Interesting exercise...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Enough to have 10% of your ammo already loaded into mags. Minimum of 8 for a battle rifle and 6 for main side arm. If you need more then 8 mags at anyone time chances are you wont be walking away.

I have as a rule at least four for every handgun, more for some. Then at least six for each rifle, which is an obsessive hold over from the Marine Corps were the standard web gear included 2 mag pouches carrying 3 @ 30 each.

Which are loaded? Only the ones that might be needed quickly at hand.

**** I feel like if I'm plowing through 1 I'm going to be boned.

No doubt. Id prefer my stash to never need to be touched. But if the time ever comes ill be happy I have what I have. Iv been on a spending spree with buying ammo. If I ever need to shoot my 600 rounds of 44 magnum im doing something wrong.

Depends. For my .22LR pistols I have three each. For my G19 I have around 10, mostly pre-bans, but it's not like I'd ever carry all of them. So yeah, it depends. For a GHB and a lower capacity gun like the 1911, I'd guess 2-4 in the bag should be plenty.

No doubt. Id prefer my stash to never need to be touched. But if the time ever comes ill be happy I have what I have. Iv been on a spending spree with buying ammo. If I ever need to shoot my 600 rounds of 44 magnum im doing something wrong.

If I am at 600 rounds of .44 mag, there are missing cases.
And I haven't even shot the .44 mag yet.

My ammo goal is basically to annoy the fire chief. Based on the above I don't need to buy any more AR/AK magazines but I do need a few more for others.

Next question... What do you keep your "spare" handgun mags loaded with? Carry ammo or ball?

I use a slightly different approach. I have stuff that's always in my pockets, and stuff that's in the 5.11 knapsack that's always with me. Then, in the toolbox of the truck, and easily swappable to another vehicle is a small duffel bag of clothes, a pair of work boots, and a rain coat.

Behind the driver's seat is a nondescript tool box that can accept a small padlock. In it is a rigger's belt set up with mag carriers, G17 holster, streamlight, sheath-knife, folding knife with glass-breaker, and dual ar-mag pouch. Also in the box are (3) P30 mags, (5) G17 mags, and (3) G43 mags, all loaded to capacity, all stored for easy retrieval. Last, but not least, I've got a set of ear muffs and a couple sets of ear plugs in the box. Options...

For each of my carry pistols, I carry two spare mags. So, if I'm in the truck, I've got 6 loaded for the G43 and 8 loaded for the G17. If I'm in the house, then I've got another (8) loaded mags and another G17 in a bag in the safe, along with (4) loaded P30 mags, and a loaded Mossberg 500... Like I said - Options...

I've got another batch of mags that I use for the range, they're in my range and ammo boxes, sometimes loaded, sometimes not. I don't bother keeping the .22's, .380's or revolvers loaded. If I need a defensive weapon, it's going to be one of my Glocks, one of my AR's or my shotgun. That's enough options.

Last edited:
I try to keep at least 4 spare mags loaded with carry ammo. And then have 2-3 more that I use for range time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'e got 13 mags for each of my handguns (3 for carry, ten for the range loaded with ball), and I'd like to work my way up to 30 mags for the rifles.

My ammo goal is basically to annoy the fire chief. Based on the above I don't need to buy any more AR/AK magazines but I do need a few more for others.

Next question... What do you keep your "spare" handgun mags loaded with? Carry ammo or ball?

How does he know what you have? - Do you tell the chief what you have?

For my home defense handgun, I've got one loaded mag in the gun and two other loaded mags that I usually carry. I also have another four mags loaded for that gun for use in social occasions.

I've got half a dozen loaded AR mags, a similar number of loaded M1A mags, and mags loaded for a number of other handguns.

8-10 mags, speed strips, speed loaders, stripper clips, etc... per gun is what I feel is a good ratio at the least for your go to firearms.

After moving to NH this year and going on a bit of a buying spree, I've probably got enough mags that in the event of a home invasion, I could just hide behind them.

I have something like 40 ptr mags ready to go. But hey, the mags are dirt cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

After moving to NH this year and going on a bit of a buying spree, I've probably got enough mags that in the event of a home invasion, I could just hide behind them.

I sent all my prebans to a friend still stuck in Maura's prison camp.

Feeling pretty inferior.

I have four mags for each of my handguns. Usually only two loaded. the one that's in it, and one more.

I have six AR mags (four preban 20's and a couple 10's) of which only two 20's are full and at the ready.

I have several mags for my other guns (Ruger GSR, .308AR, .30 carbine, 10/22), but seldom leave them full as they're primarily range guns. One 10/22 rotary mag is full in-case of imminent threat of rodents or other yard pests.

If I had but one handgun and one rifle then I would want a dozen for each.
Along with 1000 rounds for each.

If it were only that easy...

I'm considering selling off things and going down to four rifles, my Glocks and a shotgun.
So much easier to manage..

[rofl] Same here. 3 years into my new New Hampshire life, I think I have more mags still in their plastic than out. Every time I think about Nov. 8th, I place another PMAG order. Think I'll order another 5.

All my magazines are always loaded with a few exceptions, being my 1022.

Two for for each pistol are loaded with quality JHP, which are strictly for carry, and the rest are loaded with ball - those are range mags only. Also accumulated almost 20 preban AR magazines for my rifles. Basically I buy 1-3 whenever I see a good deal. Same goes for pistol mags, although deals on prebans for glocks have been a lot harder for me to find.

Come to think of it, it's been a while since I've grabbed glock and shield magazines...

Back
Top Bottom