• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many Mags is enough

My rule is at least 20 normal-capactiy mags per gun. I usually spend at least as much or more than the gun on magazines. That said, I have more :)

A full carry load is 7, per mil. So I would try to have 3 x full carry loads available per rifle. So 21. Again, per AR. So if you have three ARs, plan for 63 magazines. Not all have to be loaded at the same time (and I would actively discourage that so you can rotate magazines to help the springs relax.

Springs do not need to relax. What wears out springs is the number of compression and decompression cycles.

WOW..I guess I am just getting started. 4 30's and the 3 10's that it cam with is just the beginning I guess. Well I paid $30 a mag so I will be waiting for the hype to pass before I go buy many more, but after reading all these posts, I'll keep buying them when I can. If anyone needs more, Monument Beach Gun Show is on thru tomorrow (Sunday) The guy had two totes full today. I bartered with him, don't pay full asking price.

You can never have enough. Don't be shy when it comes to buying low-cap mags either. I think things like 1911 or Mark III mags that you don't worry about being banned right now could be scarce at some point. It's definitely better to be prepared. I could be wrong, but I think if Patrick gets his way we can only buy one a month.

I got 15 windowed FDE pmags.

All loaded with M855. I'd by more but ammo is more important right now, as is getting a scoped 308 bolt gun I like more and a shotgun that will shoot any size shotgun round (Benelli supernova).

have an extra gun in the same caliber, just in case you need to do a new york reload, i think i have around 40 30 round plus one 60 round surefire as the primary home mag

I have 5 working USGI mags and 8 Orlites. Before I get any more I want one or two more for my sr9c, and maybe an optic of some kind.

The answer depends on what the mags are for....for my FHN SCAR 17 I have twenty of the 20 round factory mags and ten 20 round Thermolds......for my FNH SCAI R 16 and pair of 5.56 AR platform rifles I have six thirty round FHN mags, and sixty of the 30 round Lancer Systems Advanced Warfighter mags....and roughy a half dozen mags for primary pistols in 9MM, .40, and .45ACP....three mags for the .338LM bolt gun...all of them fully loaded and tucked away...the last thing you every want to be doing is filling mags when you need them.

A couple of anecdotes.....accumulating mags for a SCAR 17 was pure torture...the situation has finally gotten better...the Lancer Systems Advanced Warfighter Mags 30 rounders with steel feed lips were $17/each at brownells.com as recently as a month ago....they work as well as anything out there including the steel GI or FN mags.

infinity_black.png

Last edited:
When all your ammo fits in your mags you need more ammo. When you have ammo that doesn't fit in mags you need more mags.

If you follow that simple equation you'll never be short on mags or ammo.

Basic load (7 mags), per firearm at minimum.

After that... there is no such thing as 'too many".

Someone on here mentioned that in a typical combat situation they usually went through 2 loads during the battle. So while I don't think we will be fighting in the streets anytime soon I would say double that. At least.

I heard a good story about a patrol in Vietnam. They got cornered, ended up in a firefight, and then ran out of ammo. Somehow they got away. Interviewed later, the soldier said "we now carry 120 lb packs into the bush!"

So I guess the correct answer of "how many mags I enough?" is how much weight can you carry!

Back
Top Bottom