How many lumens for an indoor weapon light?

I actually created a few Alexa scripts for that purpose. Every bulb in the house is a Philips Hue and most rooms have an Echo Flex. In any room of the house I can say:
  • "Alexa, go dark."
    • All interior and exterior lights to 0% output.
  • "Alexa, intruder alert."
    • All interior and exterior lights to blood red, 100% output.
    • Intercom function played in every room with Alexa's voice
      • "Intruder alert. You are trespassing and presumed a lethal threat. Leave immediately or you will be shot on sight."
        • Repeats three times.
      • "This is your final warning."
  • Others like intercom scripts to tell everyone in the home of an emergency.
It's too cool. Unfortunately there's no IR output option with Hue lights, but red and 5% output is probably comparable. I'll test it when I get NODs.

ETA: I know the likelihood of using these functions or NODs in a home invasion is slim. Just covering every imaginable scenario, NODs primarily for ones other than home invasion.
I am both terrified and slightly aroused.
It's all very confusing. [laugh] [laugh][laugh]
ps. home defense with nods is only applicable to the end-times.

I actually created a few Alexa scripts for that purpose. Every bulb in the house is a Philips Hue and most rooms have an Echo Flex. In any room of the house I can say:
  • "Alexa, go dark."
  • "Alexa, intruder alert."
    • All interior and exterior lights to blood red, 100% output.
    • Intercom function played in every room with Alexa's voice
      • "Intruder alert. You are trespassing and presumed a lethal threat. Leave immediately or you will be shot on sight."
        • Repeats three times.
      • "This is your final warning."
  • Others like intercom scripts to tell everyone in the home of an emergency.
It's too cool. Unfortunately there's no IR output option with Hue lights, but red and 5% output is probably comparable. I'll test it when I get NODs.

ETA: I know the likelihood of using these functions or NODs in a home invasion is slim. Just covering every imaginable scenario, NODs primarily for ones other than home invasion.
Dude, you create this and don't think of posting a video on NES?

Please, post a video.
After the video, send us the script.

Please, post a video.
After the video, send us the script.
The script or “routine” is a pretty simple library of commands provided in the Alexa app. Forgot and misquoted: the final message is, “You have been warned.” I’ll try making a video tonight.

F586C120-02C4-4000-AB0C-8BF6F60DDC14.png 15907987-A1A1-48D9-86BE-04851F201314.png 1941528A-BBEE-414A-A57E-38A3FCE39200.png

And that shorter script for just darkness.

884A733C-6BE1-4B9F-8B49-4C18B8ADE1D3.png

The only fancy and laborious part is having all lights in the home Philips Hue and categorized into several groups to command. Each bulb has its own name for programming purposes, so the category tree is:
  • All Hue lights
    • Interior lights
      • Den lights
        • Couch light
          • Couch light 1
          • Couch light 2
          • Couch light 3
        • Desk light
        • Piano light
      • Dining room lights
        • Dining room light 1
        • Dining room light 2
        • Dining room light 3
        • Dining room light 4
        • Dining room light 5
      • Kitchen lights
        • Kitchen ceiling light
          • Kitchen ceiling light 1
          • Kitchen ceiling light 2
        • Stove light
        • Sink light
      • Bedroom
        • Bedroom lights
          • Bedroom light 1
          • Bedroom light 2
          • Bedroom light 3
        • Bedroom ceiling lights
          • Bedroom ceiling light 1
          • Bedroom ceiling light 2
          • Bedroom ceiling light 3
      • Kids room
        • Kids light
        • Kids ceiling light
          • Kids ceiling light 1
          • Kids ceiling light 2
          • Kids ceiling light 3
      • Cellar lights
        • Storage light
        • Laundry light
        • Work bench light
        • Gym light
    • Exterior lights
      • Sun room spot lights
        • Sun room spot light 1
        • Sun room spot light 2
        • Sun room spot light 3
      • Front lights
        • Front light 1
        • Front light 2
        • Front light 3
  • Night lights (attachments to Echo Flex)
    • Bathroom night light
    • Den echo night light
    • Dining room echo night light
    • Kitchen night light
    • Cellar night light 1
    • Cellar night light 2
    • Cellar night light 3
    • Kids night light
Aside from voice control, emergency commands, and things like turning on/off your front lights while out of town, the colored lights are just fun. My toddler loves calling out colors and having me switch the entire home green, then magenta, then blue for him. And holiday decor is pretty cool, like July 4:

830013C9-53B3-459C-80A9-5B955B832AE8.jpeg 0E6D7523-9537-4A8B-B539-F012674360FC.jpeg

Last edited:
But seriously, I woulds start at 400 and go up from there.
All my HD pistols get surefire X300U's, my rifles get Modlite PLH's (upgrade from surefire m300/600 scouts).
Being blinded by your own light is bullshit, and a total load of derp. I would much rather be blinding whoever I am pointing my gun at.
Also if you are actually ever going outside, you can really never have a light that is too powerful, distance, mist, smoke, photonic bariers, all kill output and throw really quickly.
MODLITE GANG

Sometimes, but the loud bang and muzzle flash kind of gives me away anyway 😉

lol. I suppose there's that. I was more concerned with battery discharge while practicing at the range. Most pistol lights only last 3 hours or less of on-time, so even a few accidental minutes burnt each range trip adds up to a surprise dead battery when you need it.

Please, post a video.
I originally didn't share this because of potential OPSEC concerns or having it used against me if I ever end up a defendant in a Mass kangaroo court. But now the topic came up while I'm dismantling everything to move to a free state this week. It's hard to tell by the video but all the exterior lights also turn red. The back door also has an Echo to share the warning. Ideally the exterior motion alarm (Guardline) that I arm every evening would tell me someone is approaching (separate alarm tones for different exterior zones), I would visualize, then activate the script while a trespasser still thinks he's unnoticed. At the new home I may shorten it to one or two warnings since this is more time than necessary to grab a rifle and throw on ear pro. Still a work in progress.

The rest of my security ideas will remain undisclosed for now.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl6i_-nm6A4

I originally didn't share this because of potential OPSEC concerns or having it used against me if I ever end up a defendant in a Mass kangaroo court. But now the topic came up while I'm dismantling everything to move to a free state this week. It's hard to tell by the video but all the exterior lights also turn red. The back door also has an Echo to share the warning. Ideally the exterior motion alarm (Guardline) that I arm every evening would tell me someone is approaching (separate alarm tones for different exterior zones), I would visualize, then activate the script while a trespasser still thinks he's unnoticed. At the new home I may shorten it to one or two warnings since this is more time than necessary to grab a rifle and throw on ear pro. Still a work in progress.

That is awesome

The experts are in the video above.
I've shot a class, in a shoot house, in the dark and 1000 was not too much.
Also who says this only is applying to indoor/home situations?
Because the too-much-lumens argument goes to shit as soon as you step outside. Take almost any of the pistol lights mentioned outdoors and see how they start falling short with any sort of distance or photonic barriers. All of this is easily testable.

How were teh walls painted in the indoor stuff you've done?? I've done many flashlight stages where the "walls" were flat black painted sheets of plywood. In a case like that 1000 is fine. But my walls are "linen white". Totally different game.

The answer is simple. Each person should test in THEIR house. Returns are easy with many online vendors. I can absolutely tell you that in my house the reflections off the walls of a 600 lumen light is counterproductive and the 1000 lumen TLR1-HL the reflections are blinding.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I've walked around my house with these lights at night, with fully night adjusted eyes. For me 300 lumens is about right.

How were teh walls painted in the indoor stuff you've done?? I've done many flashlight stages where the "walls" were flat black painted sheets of plywood. In a case like that 1000 is fine. But my walls are "linen white". Totally different game.

The answer is simple. Each person should test in THEIR house. Returns are easy with many online vendors. I can absolutely tell you that in my house the reflections off the walls of a 600 lumen light is counterproductive and the 1000 lumen TLR1-HL the reflections are blinding.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I've walked around my house with these lights at night, with fully night adjusted eyes. For me 300 lumens is about right.

And if the gunfight goes outside?......... you are at a disadvantage.

I don't worry about reflection, I'll be busy pulling the trigger on first ID.

Thats awesome.
Id figure out some way to add the siren from the purge at the end and an evil muahaha laugh right as the lights turn off.
Got modem and router on battery backup, Wi-Fi switch at the plug for a siren, script activated by “Alexa, scream.” Could integrate it into the end of the warning script but hearing may be an advantage, so it’s separate. The downside is it’s too loud to hear you tell it to stop. Requires either the script timing out (adjustable), open the app in the phone, or just manually unplug. I was trying to find something horrific but a Honeywell security siren made a cheap and easy solution.

4BA68258-1F19-41FE-A364-57C73900978B.jpeg ABD0EB3F-E1AA-49DB-806F-409CD767E117.jpeg

I was present at a an FBI indoor dark training session. They were taught to use their illumination in hand and in the opposite hand that they were using a firearm. ATF was doing the same training at the time. The principle was to keep the light as NOT a target and your body and firearm out of the line of fire.

The interesting point was that they taught to fire 2 rounds off the target light source target and 3 feet to the side towards the center of mass. If the target did not go down, fire 2 more on the opposite side to compensate a left / vs right shooter.

Light sources are THE target.

Last edited:
I was present at a an FBI indoor dark training session. They were taught to use their illumination in hand and in the opposite hand that they were using a firearm. ATF was doing the same training at the time. The principle was to keep the light as NOT a target and your body and firearm out of the line of fire.

The interesting point was that they taught to fire 2 rounds off the target light source target and 3 feet to the side towards the center of mass. If the target did not go down, fire 2 more on the opposite side to compensate a left / vs right shooter.

This sounds like insane jibberish to me. Two hands on the gun and light on the gun is the bast way to ensure you hit your target.

I've shot with a flashlight in the other hand a number of times. Its not a great strategy.

How long ago was that?

And if the gunfight goes outside?......... you are at a disadvantage.

I don't worry about reflection, I'll be busy pulling the trigger on first ID.

Then you have a perfectly serviceable 400 lumen light.
Though if someone is in your home and they run out the door, you would have a hard time justifying shooting him in the back. Both ethically and legally. Note, I'm talking explicitly about a home defense gun.

I have a 1000 lumen light on the gun I carry.

Needs some smoke machines and rotating laser pointers

Then you have a perfectly serviceable 400 lumen light.
Though if someone is in your home and they run out the door, you would have a hard time justifying shooting him in the back. Both ethically and legally. Note, I'm talking explicitly about a home defense gun.

I have a 1000 lumen light on the gun I carry.

I'm sorry, but arguing for less lumens is almost as bad as arguing lower capacity magazines.
"If you can't take care of the problem with 200 lumens then..."

Home defense is the open-division of the self-defense world, I'm not sure why anyone would not pull out all the stops.
At my bedside table when I go to sleep there are the following, in order of likelihood of use:

On top:
- Nalgene water bottle
- Cellphone
- Ricolas
Next to:
- 5lb Fire extingisher
Top drawer:
- Petzl Headlamp (400 lumen)
- Streamlight HL-5x (3500 lumens)
- RMJ Kestrel Tomahawk
-Ricola family-size-high-capacity reload
Bottom drawer:
- Glock 34 w/23 round magazine of HST's, Trijicon RMR, Surefire x300u (1000 lumens) and an extra mag.

That's probably everything I'll need to get me through the night or until I can make my way to the batcave and put on pants.

Everyone's home situation is different and everyone is going to have different needs, but I plan around the worst case scenarios because I have absolutely no idea what the threat is going to look like or where/when the fight is going to happen.
I do know that if you can see what the threat is you are F-ed in the A with a giant D.
I also know that after getting 3500 lumens in the face you can't see shit and if the last thing you want to see is a naked man running at you with fire extinguisher and a tomahawk screaming "RIIIICOOLLLAAAAAAA!!!!!!!"

@GoodWillHunting Are you using mag extensions? I have a glock 17 I'm planning outfitting the same way. Right now I think the biggest mag is 20 with a +2 extension?

Get Dawson extensions. They add 5 rounds, help mags eject faster/reliably and make the mage easier to handle/seat.

Mine:
20200803_170446.jpg

Do these work with u notch? I've got three u notch most likely gen 1. One has a +1 and one has a +2 I believe. Probably been like that for almost 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom