How many lumens for an indoor weapon light?

Finally looking at weapon lights. How many lumens would you all recommend for a primarily indoor weapon?

I am seeing some that go up to 1500 lumens, but am thinking that might actually be too bright.

But seriously, I woulds start at 400 and go up from there.
All my HD pistols get surefire X300U's, my rifles get Modlite PLH's (upgrade from surefire m300/600 scouts).
Being blinded by your own light is bullshit, and a total load of derp. I would much rather be blinding whoever I am pointing my gun at.
Also if you are actually ever going outside, you can really never have a light that is too powerful, distance, mist, smoke, photonic bariers, all kill output and throw really quickly.

But seriously, I woulds start at 400 and go up from there.
All my HD pistols get surefire X300U's, my rifles get Modlite PLH's (upgrade from surefire m300/600 scouts).
Being blinded by your own light is bullshit, and a total load of derp. I would much rather be blinding whoever I am pointing my gun at.
Also if you are actually ever going outside, you can really never have a light that is too powerful, distance, mist, smoke, photonic bariers, all kill output and throw really quickly.
I wouldn't use a weapon light outside unless hunting wabbits.

Finally looking at weapon lights. How many lumens would you all recommend for a primarily indoor weapon?

I am seeing some that go up to 1500 lumens, but am thinking that might actually be too bright.

"Indoors" like a normal home, 300 should be enough.
"Indoors" like a School, Concert hall, Office building, 1000 for starters.

Dave

I have the Streamlight TLR-1HL and it's too much for indoors. I should move it to a rifle and get the non HL for my pistol.

To @Tackdriver's point, I'm talking about my small house.

While practicing clearing my dark house with an unloaded firearm, pistol and rifle, reflecting light off the ground in the center of the room 1000 lumens does not blind me and you can see much of the room. Even pointing the 1k light directly into obstructed areas or across the room doesn't blind me. My rooms aren't tiny, but they aren't gigantic either. Everyone is different, but the point is you need to clearly see what and who, so I say more is better on a weapon light. I have a 1500 lumen rifle light, and even that isn't too much in my opinion. I would say 1k minimum, for me. And don't forget, if there is someone in your house at night in the dark, when you hit them with a 1k light, they can't really see anything. A 300 lumen light isn't remotely close to the 1k lumen level of deterrence.

Cloud defensive, the owl 🦉 is the best weapon light I own. Inforce dosent even compare. You could go with a surefire also.

Cloud defensive, the owl 🦉 is the best weapon light I own. Inforce dosent even compare. You could go with a surefire also.

Was looking at those, but they seem gigantic. I am leaning towards someone like a Surefire mini scout I think

I have a Surefire M600, Streamlight TLR1, TLR1s and TLR7a.
All of them are great in my opinion for durability and brightness for their purpose.

The Cloud Defense OWL is a great product but I don’t like how the switch can’t be changed to a different position.

Modlights look good and have amazing reviews, but for the cost I’d rather buy a case of ammo and better training.

As many as you can afford and one with a good momentary switch.

Personally I run Streamlight TLR-1 HL (800lumen) on my ARs and a basic TLR-1 (300lumen) on my 590A1. Both have strobe capabilities, the HLs can light up to the far tree line in my yard and the basic is more than adequate for up close and personal indoors.

All mounted on right side with momentary switch on fore grip.

Last edited:
Nothing less than 600. You’re going to hear a lot of people say “I had xyz and it was too bright”. Great, stop blasting it off the mirror and you’ll be fine.

While I don’t use a WML on the reg, I do use a 1k lumen flashlight daily and during critical/stressful incidents. The brightness is appreciated. A vast majority of the time I wish it was brighter. Just be cognizant of where you are pointing it. Highly reflective surfaces arent you’re friend. And don’t stare at the beam or the head.

SageDynamics has a good video on high lumen WMLs

So what has not been mentioned yet is the reflector/head design. Some lights have more spill to flood an area while others have more throw with a tight beam. Generally speaking a small, shallow reflector with an “orange peel” texture will spill more and a larger, deeper reflector with a smooth surface will throw with a tight beam. 500lm at the source is not 500lm x number of feet away.

As bright as yo can get. People claiming lights are to bright probably are using bad technique. Take a surefire class they're excellent, SIg academy also has a good low light program. Also don't get tricked into thinking more lumens equals a better light. As an example lights that have a higher candela rating generally project light better at distance. It's possible that a light with lower lumens and higher candela projects light further than alight that has higher lumens but less candela. YMMV

Last edited:
Also don't get tricked into thinking more lumens equals a better light. As an example lights that have a higher candela rating generally project light better at distance. It's possible that a light with lower lumens projects light further than alight that has higher lumens but less candela. YMMV
Thoughts on a light with bright center? To the uninitiated it seems like an advantage: blind them with the center but can illuminate a wide area without blind you.

Back
Top Bottom