How many is a........?

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
I think about posting this question every time something is in the news. How would you define the following when it comes to guns;

a lot =
a cache =
a stash =
a hord =
a collection =
an arsenal =
an armory =
a plethora =

Did I miss any?
Post pictures if you think it will help.
Have fun.

A single word can replace all of those...

Enough

...and no, you can never have “enough”.

This is where quantum physics and gun ownership run parallel to one another. It is impossible to quantify “enough”, because once you think you have determined it’s measure, it’s value changes by you having measured it. This is why every time you pick up something new, you feel there is still something missing...

I think about posting this question every time something is in the news. How would you define the following when it comes to guns;

a lot =
a cache =
a stash =
a hord =
a collection =
an arsenal =
an armory =
a plethora =

Did I miss any?
Have fun.

Isn't that "horde"?

You have a Horde of Mongols

You have a Hoard of treasure

Take your pick as to which category the guns fall into.

Why can't it be both?

DSC00382.jpg

Gun Review: Mongolian Snaplock Carbine - The Firearm Blog

The rifle was probably made in the 1950s, though it most likely recycled components (especially the barrel) from older weapons. In Central Asia, where these kinds of flint-primed weapons are common (indeed, until recently they were dominant, as cartridge-firing weapons and their ammunition had not so widely proliferated on the frontier), the most widespread variation is a long, heavy rifle, weighing between twelve and fifteen pounds, which is fired atop a sharpened shooting stick (“sazhanki”) or a bipod made from, or to resemble saiga horns. This weapon is unusual – it is a short carbine, less than three feet long, with a stock that appears to be made from a simple wood plank. To their users, these snaplocks are only called “guns”; there is no special name for the type.

View: https://youtu.be/-mTUmczVdik

How I feel when someone says I have a plethora of guns.

Dammit! Once I saw the OP I knew I had to post this. Missed it by two hours, which is essentially eternity in NES time.

I don't recall having any guns when I lived in MA, but when we unloaded the truck in VA there was a bevy in there somehow. And a plethora of ammo. Shocked, I tell you. Shocked.

a lot =
a cache =
a stash =
a hord =
a collection =
an arsenal =
an armory =
a plethora =

Did I miss any?
Have fun.

To answer the OP's question, we will have to break the answers into two groups--antis and us. Sooo...

ANTIS:
a lot = bad
a cache = really bad
a stash = felony
a hord(e) = guilty
a collection = highly questionable
an arsenal = Need more laws
an armory = So what? This is where guns should be. It's under .gov control, right? Right?
a plethora = Wut? Sounds bad. Assumed guilty.

US:
a lot = Posh. You know you don't have a plethora and are just trying to make it sound like you do.
a cache = Dumbass. You can't get to a cache fast enough to make use of it. What, is it buried in the backyard or something?
a stash = Sounds pretty damn small to me.
a hord(e) = Why are you hoarding and not shooting?
a collection = You probably want to sell me expensive antique things that I can't find ammo for and wouldn't want to shoot anyway.
an arsenal = You have a pump .22 rifle with a bent follower, half a box of ammo from the 1960's, your dad's unloaded ivory handled .32 ACP in your nightstand, and a cigar box with an assortment of unidentified reloads. And you feel safe.
an armory = If you really have an armory I want to be your friend.
a plethora = Yes. This is what you need.
And one more:
enough = No you don't.

Back
Top Bottom