• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many guns do you need?

About 15 - 1000...somewhere in there, right?[wink]

Sounds about right. I think 15 would be enough to have all my bases covered (ie, actually having things for specific uses), but I wouldn't complain about having 1000, either [laugh]

But, I have:

AR15
10/22
AR-7

Glock 17
Glock 22
XDm
22/45
Hi-Power

Coach gun
Slug gun

With a rifle or two in .308, a pocket pistol and a 2nd AR, I think I'll be good.

And then build a small cabin on squatted land next to a beautiful Waldon Pond and write a manifesto about how other things need to only be owned or used in moderation.

I wholly disagree with this way of thinking. If go time ever comes and we're all riding in dune buggies and wearing tattered leathers then guns and ammo would be more valuable than anything but perhaps the services of a pretty woman or clean water.

Go forth and stockpile. Guns are more comforting than a 401k for piece of mind.

At the same time, people not living within their means and not saving money is at least part of the reason the economy is in its current state.

Sounds about right. I think 15 would be enough to have all my bases covered (ie, actually having things for specific uses), but I wouldn't complain about having 1000, either [laugh]

But, I have:

AR15
10/22
AR-7

Glock 17
Glock 22
XDm
22/45
Hi-Power

Coach gun
Slug gun

With a rifle or two in .308, a pocket pistol and a 2nd AR, I think I'll be good.

originally I was going to try and make a list, or count them but gave up. [laugh]

I thought it was a good little presentation for his particular opinion. Owning a bare minimum of guns, training to become proficient with all of them and outfitting them with the best available ammo and accessories certainly isn't a bad idea. Reality is, us humans don't like looking at want versus need. We want what we want, and as we upgrade, we don't want to regret. That is why you see people buying a new carry gun before they sell their old one, and then keeping the old one just in case they don't like the new one, and so on and so on into eternity.

i agree with his points if your just looking to get the essentials for necessity. But saying that buying a lot of guns just be cause you want a lot of guns is a waste of money is what I dont agree with. Obviously pay your bills first, but for most of us firearms are our hobby so like the guy who spends thousands and thousands tuning his hot rod, or working on his boat we spend it on firearms. I'm sorry i dont collect stamps, i like guns.

My collection covers what he discussed and then some. At this point I want more guns but I need more time and training to use them. Unless I come across a fantastic once in a life time deal or hit the lottery I put my money towards training.

I think his overarching point is a good one, but he probably shouldn't have used the word "need".

I would have said " If your on a budget you can cover most of your bases with these guns, additional guns are fine if you have the money but understand there will be some overlap of use"

I'm not sure we were his target audience [smile]

Want vs. Need

I don't NEED a BMW or Lexus to get from point A to point B, but if I can afford one, why shouldn't I buy one?
I don't NEED to go to a Patriots' Football game when I can go to a High School or College game, but if I can afford to, why shouldn't I?

You get the gist. As gun owners we hear morons all the time trying to tell us what we do/don't need. Eff them all. Its all a function of personal preference and disposable income.

How many guns do you need?

how many ya giving away?

ETA:
i NEED:
an AR
a bolt action tack driver with scope in .223 or .308
after shooting SKSRay's .204, i need one of those too....
.357 wheelgun
the charter arms shamrock .38 (GREEN GUN?!?!?! AWESOME!!!!)

53844.gif

who needs to pay the mortgage or eat? i'm fat anyway....

Last edited:
I'm happy with the number and variety that I have. I'd be happier with getting time to go play with them at the range than go buy more.

Just one more. Rinse, repeat....

Actually, it is a lot more involved than he, or I, say. I like to use dinner as an analogy. If you are like most people, sometime you want pasta, other times you want fish, sometimes you need a steak. When I go to the range, and my wife agrees with me on this, I think, "What do I feel like shooting today?"

I understand what this guy is trying to say, but it still doesn't make it 100% correct for everyone. I have no desire to use a large rifle for "big game", but some people do. I have handguns in calibers that he mentions, but not for the reasons he infers.

My wife once told me of an upcoming gun show at a local gun club and said that I should go and try to sell

a "couple of my guns." I went and came home with a beautiful Winchester Model 70 left hand in .270 Winchester w/scope.

She doesn't do that any more. [thinking]

For me, the most guns I "need" were the ones I could buy without her finding out/giving a sh*t.

I just thought of this one: "But honey, this one is DIFFERENT..."

Last edited:
I don't buy this 7 gun crap. Here is my reasoning. What if you had to have the whole family ride out a situation at home? I want atleast 3 - AR's. One for me,one for my son, one for my wife.... Then everyone needs a handgun and a shotty in case the roaming hordes get close....etc etc.

The number i come up with is something like 48. Maybe 52 if you can get your hands on some beltfed stuff or grenade launchers? What about anti-personell mines? How can you properly defend your home in a crisis situation without setting up a mine field or at least some Claymores? Then there is the punji filled tiger pit and the moat filled with crocodiles.

So here is my new list. 52 guns, 10 claymores, 20 frag grenades, 2 grenade launchers, 2 tiger pits, 1 moat with alligators or hungry pirhana. Oh yeah, an APC incase you need to run out for milk. I'd also consider a sonic cannon and a fire hose. And I almost forgot rope. At least 3000' of rope.

I have way too many and need to thin things out a lot (firesale?). Just don't enjoy like I used to. Kinda sad...

My dad once told me not to worry about the guy with a hundred guns, worry about the guy with just one because you can bet your a$$ he knows how to to shoot it. For the most part I have found this to be true. The only guns I own a lot of are .22s so I can take the family and friends out for a fun cheap day at the range. Everything else on this list I have limited myself to one or two of.

Last edited:
Most of my shooting is done with the same guns - 1911 , AR15 , Rem870. ... If I could go back in time and get a " Do-Over " : several of the guns I own would be skipped and the money spent on ammo instead.

Of course some days I just wake up saying " It's 22LR day " ... or " 44 Mag day " .... and I never consider selling any of the guns I have.

Always got 1 too many. [laugh][laugh] But as usual, I'll get 1 more if I visit a gun store.

I'll call it a quit once I got the P226 X-Five from NES'er. Send me an offer, please. [smile][smile][smile]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom