• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many "green" Mass. towns are also "NFA green" ?

wheelgun

NES Member
There are numerous threads listing Massachusetts towns where Class ALP is not hard to get. But are the chiefs in said towns usually willing to sign off on an NFA application as well? How many people with ALP get turned down for NFA?

By " NFA application", I assume that you mean the "Mass License To Posess A Machine Gun". If they give you that, they will probably sign off on a Form 4. But maybe not if things change in the dep't. The only towns that I have had positive experiences or input with have been Acton, Littleton and Groton. But that could also change with changes in the dep't. Jack.

I think that this is harder to determine than a simple color scheme.

Some towns refuse to issue any "green cards".

Some will only do it selectively to people that they know and trust, but refuse the average citizen who asks.

I think (no proof) that very few have a policy of issuing to just anyone who meets the legal (or extra-legal) requirements.

For example, I live in a deep red town but my Wife and I have had our permits for 30+ years and are well-known in town. One day I asked my chief and he reflected a moment and then said "I don't see why not". Yet I know enough about him to believe that he would not issue a "green card" to my Wife even though he knows her too. There are other "green card" holders in my town but only a handful that I'm aware of.

I knew an NFA guy who had his paperwork "lost" intentionally by the chief in another town, not once but twice. Yet that town back then was "green" for LTCs and the guy was the owner of an Internet company (back when they were all the rage). No idea how everything worked out as the guy in question eventually moved to CA (high tech area).

I was thinking more of SBR's.

If you establish an NFA Trust and do the application under the Trust then you don't need a signoff from the CLEO, fingerprints, or photo. There are other benefits to going the Trust route, but that's a major one.

My town is Green and wouldn't sign off on my NFA SBR Form 1. Kicker is that they suggested that I form a Trust to get it.

That's retarded. They must be under some impression that signing off on the form incurs some kind of liability for them. All they're declaring is that to the best of their knowledge you're not a criminal, which they already had to do to issue your LTC (in addition to the background checks!).

That's retarded. They must be under some impression that signing off on the form incurs some kind of liability for them. All they're declaring is that to the best of their knowledge you're not a criminal, which they already had to do to issue your LTC (in addition to the background checks!).

I was dumbfounded as well. More irritated that I spent money on the CVS passport photos. I was still able to get the SBR in about seven months, and couldn't be happier.

Great topic idea. I've often wondered about this myself, but just resigned myself to the fact that I would just wait until we move to a freer state.

If you have a trust, do you also need a green card in Mass?

The MA License to Possess a Machine Gun (commonly known as "Green Card") is only required for machine guns, and as far as I know is required whether you do the Form 4 transfer individually or as a Trust.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a how to on forming a trust anywhere? How much do they cost?

You can get "one size fits all" trusts online for as cheap as $99, or you can contact an attorney to have one custom-made to suit your needs. Just google "NFA trust" and start reading.

My town is Green and wouldn't sign off on my NFA SBR Form 1. Kicker is that they suggested that I form a Trust to get it.
Norwood said no. I told them I had two transferrables legally registered and stored out of state. The exact response was "good, leave them there..." I just bought a house in NH, so now it doesn't matter (yay!)

The MA License to Possess a Machine Gun (commonly known as "Green Card") is only required for machine guns, and as far as I know is required whether you do the Form 4 transfer individually or as a Trust.

- - - Updated - - -

You can get "one size fits all" trusts online for as cheap as $99, or you can contact an attorney to have one custom-made to suit your needs. Just google "NFA trust" and start reading.
If the law stops allowing trusts to be made will your exisitng trust be 'preban'? Even of you haven't yet bought an sbr

If the law stops allowing trusts to be made will your exisitng trust be 'preban'? Even of you haven't yet bought an sbr

There is a proposed rule change that would require trusts and other corporate entities to have all "responsible persons" do the CLEO signoff, fingerprints, and photos for NFA forms. If the change is enacted, it would presumably apply to all future NFA forms filed, regardless of when the trust was formed. You would still get the other benefits of having your NFA items on a trust, but wouldn't be able to avoid the CLEO signature.

This rule change is a big deal for people all over the country (not just in MA), because mane CLEOs refuse to sign off on NFA forms. This will result in an effective ban on all NFA items in those CLEO's jurisdictions.

Back
Top Bottom