How many defensive rounds do you keep on hand? What's 'loaded' and what's not?

76Too

NES Member
So we have some actual 'no-shit' footage of Kyle in Kenosha in a defensive situation. From what I saw, that dude didn't even do a mag change. He just shot until those f***ing retards laid off him.

Should he have been there? That's a question for another thread.

But really though...how many rounds do you have on hand that could be considered 'defensive' capable for each caliber you own. Personally, I'm really glad I thought about this ahead of time and bought 500 JHP projectiles for each handgun caliber (9mm, 40, and 45acp) and have over 2000ea of .223 and .310 projectiles for my beloved black rifles. Of course, if the time comes I'll be using what I have loaded, but what IF I got caught up in a situation where I actually NEEEDED my self defense loads? How many would I use before I actually stopped the threat and was able to get away?

Mostly just wondering because even though i'm 'all set for now', theres a looming suspicion that THIS dry spell could be quite worse than those in the past.

What say you, veterans of dry spells and hoarding sprees? How much do you keep around? How does this 'plandemicopalypse' look compared to other times (sandy hook, maybe)?

I recon when it comes right down to it, they are all defensive rounds when push comes to shove. But in answer to the question, not many, but it really depends on the caliber. 9, 40 & 45, I have about 200 rounds on hand of "carry ammo - JHP". In calibers 357 & 44, maybe 100 rounds, but I have target ammo in larger quantities. ;)
The only ammo I keep in the safe is loaded in magazines. The rest is in the ammo cabinet. I have at least 5 mags for each "go to" gun and keep them loaded with defensive ammo. It's a pain in the ass when I take a gun to the range and have to unload all the mags and load them up w/ target ammo, but whatever.
I also keep a bunch of loaded AR mags. Levers, Bolts and shotty's are unloaded.
My ammo levels have been pretty consistent. I am comfortable with what I keep on hand.

Never considered the matter.

Neither did I...just a random drunken thought I had while watching videos of mostly peaceful protestors last night before going to bed.

What was odd to me, was that even after Kyle Rittenhouse kept shooting his attackers, and people were obviously dying, they still kept going after him like it was just make believe.

And not to make light of a serious situation, but all it would have taken for me (if I was a communist mostly peaceful protestor), would be seeing that kid with the skateboard rag doll onto the pavement after the gut shot. But, nope...these freaks just kept coming for him.

A combat loadout was increased a few years ago (in the Marine Corps at least) from 180 to 210rds (gave us an extra magazine and a ‘speed reload’ molle pouch). I know the military dumps a LOT of money into testing/research, but would also really like to know the ‘why’ behind it. That being said, both my plate carriers and my war belt all have, you guessed it, 7 magazines (brass to the grass, of course). Oh, indoctrination.

The way I figure they're all defensive rounds. Sure hollow points are nice but the other guy isn't going to know not care if it's a SS109 or a M193 coming towards them. And let's face it no one wants to get shot by a bullet regardless. My FAL is loaded with M80 ball ammo, if those rounds start going off, no one's going to want to be downrange from it anyways..

I’m pretty close to 80 - 20% range carry in all calibers. The only caveats to this being .233/5.56 and if my PCCs were ever used in a defensive situation. I plan on loading them with FMJ. But they have magazine compatibility with my carry and nightstand guns so who knows. Loaded magazines are stored in locked MTM Cans with the magazine cutouts.

If it came down to it why couldn't,t you just use regular round nose target ammo, it's not like your throwing a tennis ball at someone.

More than 2mags of 9mm Speer Golds
And all rifle mags variations of M193.
I’ve been tinkering with the idea of heavier grains for stability purposes but in all honesty there’s not a realistic engagement I’ll ever be in further than 50 yards.
Still waiting on my f***ing Hesco’s.

I buy everything a case at a time, minimum. I probably have ~700 rounds of 9mm HST in the house, ~300 rounds of 5.56 for the pistol, and ~5000 M855 for the carbine.

But really though...how many rounds do you have on hand that could be considered 'defensive' capable for each caliber you own. Personally, I'm really glad I thought about this ahead of time and bought 500 JHP projectiles for each handgun caliber (9mm, 40, and 45acp) and have over 2000ea of .223 and .310 projectiles for my beloved black rifles. Of course, if the time comes I'll be using what I have loaded, but what IF I got caught up in a situation where I actually NEEEDED my self defense loads? How many would I use before I actually stopped the threat and was able to get away?

Mostly just wondering because even though i'm 'all set for now', theres a looming suspicion that THIS dry spell could be quite worse than those in the past.

What say you, veterans of dry spells and hoarding sprees? How much do you keep around?
Sitting on the shelf as loaded cartridges, or actually loaded into magazines and carried along in your pocket or backpack?

What is a "defensive round"?

I try extremely hard not to get caught up in the deluge of marketing hype involving ammunition.
Get hit with a bullet and you're pretty much out of the fight. The military pretty much uses all ball ammo except for specialty types.

It's all defensive ammo, even the cheapest steel cased Tula or other brands......they'll all kill or wound.

The question is better asked as "How many loaded mags do you have for each gun?"

Bullets are basically useless in boxes. They need to be in mags, accessible and transportable.

Don't buy "a mag". Buy mags in boxes. They sell PMAGs in boxes of 50 and 100. Buy a few of those and load them all up.

View: https://youtu.be/5J3Jm8HbHKU

2k .45jhp
Half a box of 9mm sabre my friend gave me.
12k+.556mm
2k.44mag
3,5k .45/70
And other cals. I may aquire guns for.

The question is better asked as "How many loaded mags do you have for each gun?"

Bullets are basically useless in boxes. They need to be in mags, accessible and transportable.

Don't buy "a mag". Buy mags in boxes. They sell PMAGs in boxes of 50 and 100. Buy a few of those and load them all up.

View: https://youtu.be/5J3Jm8HbHKU

To answer the question....more than I could carry. [thumbsup]

An empty magazine is useless and doesn't even make a good paper weight. All mags loaded all the time. They're usually loaded within hours of arriving.
I cannot stand loading mags while shooting.

Six.

600px-DirtyH1_617.jpg

OK, so it would actually be a few hundred of these and a GoPro:

CC_50_22LRStingerCPHPVarmint_Combo_R.jpg

Why the GoPro? So my friends can see the Mossad style sniping to the nads.

depositphotos_381031320-stock-photo-kicked-in-the-balls-testicular.jpg

OK, on a serious note I prefer to keep a few hundred SD rounds on hand for any given caliber. I'm in the middle of cooking up about 3-4 hundred 10mm with JHP's and will load another couple hundred cast. I just buy commercial 9mm and 223, whatever is cheap but still brass cased.

I keep 1000 rounds of the ammo I carry for my defensive pistols (9,45), and I try to keep 4000 ends of 556 m193. I then have ~800 high quality defensive 223/556 loads (gold dots, BH TMKs, FBIT3). I then have a handful of boxes of defensive ammo in my lesser used calibers (38/357, 44 mag, 10mm, 3800. Then I have a stash of just range FMJ Ammo, mostly 9mm and 45. If I was going to be in a situation where I was I kit with a rifle, with the real possibility of using it I'd go with the standard 1 mag in rifle, 6 on the person with a backup repository of mags, ie in the trunk or a car or a backpack. Even one of those fruity trader joes re-useable bags my wife insists on buying lol

Back
Top Bottom