• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many AR mags for SHTF?

Mags are wear items, like tires on a car. I have somewhere north of 80 of them for my AR (don't get my started on my FAL mag stash), but that's easier to do when you can get them for ~$10 or less NIW. Not as easy when you're confined to pricier pre-bans.

In addition to SHTF, my thought is also legacy. I worry that some day we may not be able to get mags at all. One of my daughter's favorite guns belonged to her great-grandfather, and an AR with no mags is pretty useless to my grandkids.

That's one of the merits of going to PMAGs, they have a removable cap that takes the pressure off the lips.

Is there such a thing as a preban PMAG? If not, can some part of the preban be used and converted to a PMAG and still be considered preban?

As many as possible and then get stripper clips to load them faster.
Or that new fangled one that works better. What's it called? The Ulu or Tutu or something.

About a year ago I loaded up 28 30 rnd. mags. I put them in the 'fat can' ammo box and they fit perfectly.

A few observations I made:

• Damn that box weights a TON! 840 rnds. plus the can and mags - whew -
  • Use a LULA Loader makes loading/unloading a cinch
  • Mark the mags. what loaded in which mag. by brand of ammo XM193, M855 etc.
  • Keep a bug-out-bag ready. Say with AR mags., pistol mags. and spare ammo to grab n go.

Is there such a thing as a preban PMAG?
No.

If not, can some part of the preban be used and converted to a PMAG and still be considered preban?
Depends on the size and composition of your balls, i.e. big and brass. Technically, the old AWB allowed you to purchase replacements for any worn out/damaged parts of your mag, including the body. So...if you damaged the body on a USGI 30-round mag...and then replaced it with a PMag body...and then later replaced the worn follower...and then later the damaged floorplate...I think I'd stick with pre-ban's.

Survivor

I have 4 30 round mags for my AR. That's enough ammunition to take out at least 2 bus loads of Zombies. You should be thinking about "How much should/Can I carry?" When the SHTF. I figure the following.

1. Main Side arm. My Kimber 1911 with 5 fully loaded clips

2. Secondary Side arm. My S&W 6906 with 3 fully loaded clips

3. Mossberg 12 Gauge wrapped around my shoulder via a harness. 2 Boxes of buck shot in my napsack with 1 box of slugs.

4. Holding at the ready. My Bushmaster AR15. 3 mags in my napsack.

Wife's backpack, Additional ammo for my weapons plus on her carry is a Para Hawg 9. Her Job, stay low and reload for me. Also to cover my six.

I have 4 30 round mags for my AR. That's enough ammunition to take out at least 2 bus loads of Zombies. You should be thinking about "How much should/Can I carry?" When the SHTF. I figure the following.

3. Mossberg 12 Gauge wrapped around my shoulder via a harness. 2 Boxes of buck shot in my napsack with 1 box of slugs.

Wife's backpack, Additional ammo for my weapons plus on her carry is a Para Hawg 9. Her Job, stay low and reload for me. Also to cover my six.

You mean that's what you used to have before the boating accident , right? [smile]

I'm going to let the clips thing go, but FWIW, I think you have far too many reloads for your secondary weapon (Kimber) and far too few for your primary (AR), sometimes referred to as the Way of the Gun error. It you had to choose which one of those two you had to shoot longer, which one would it be?

Glad you notice that. It's for a reason. When my wife is reloading my mags I'm either using the Kimber or the Shotgun until I get a fresh mag back.

I'm going to let the clips thing go, but FWIW, I think you have far too many reloads for your secondary weapon (Kimber) and far too few for your primary (AR), sometimes referred to as the Way of the Gun error. It you had to choose which one of those two you had to shoot longer, which one would it be?

3 Mags is plenty for me. That's 120 rounds including the mag hosed in the AR15. Plenty!

Then why do you need 5 mags of .45?

His point is 'if you've got to carry the weight of the ammo, wouldn't you rather carry the ammo you're better off using. If I were in a BAD situation and had to defend myself, I'd much rather be using my AR then my pistol.

Glad you notice that. It's for a reason. When my wife is reloading my mags I'm either using the Kimber or the Shotgun until I get a fresh mag back.

Add three or four more AR mags and you won't have to switch weapons while she reloads.

So how is it a better plan to drop to your secondary weapon while someone reloads magazines (presumably under fire) instead of carrying, for example, three fewer reloads for the secondary and three more reloads for the primary?

Weight! You do not want to over burden yourself before you enter combat. Why does the US Military switch to the M16? Less weight for carrying rounds is one reason.

I'm not going to carry 50lbs of ammo nor is my Wife.

So how is it a better plan to drop to your secondary weapon while someone reloads magazines (presumably under fire) instead of carrying, for example, three fewer reloads for the secondary and three more reloads for the primary?

6 30rnd mags of 5.56 weigh considerably less then 50lbs.

And a significant number of the guys questioning your ammo loadout HAVE carried an M16 into combat, so their suggestions just might be worth listening to.

Last edited:
Your're not thinking clearly or you didn't understand my post which outline the firearms I'm using. I'm not just packing ammo for an AR15 but also for 4 other firearms.

We understood you very clearly. We were just questioning the wisdom of your packing ammo for four firearms in that situation.

Obviously not very clearly. The Shotgun is being used while wife reloads at least one mag for the AR15. Shotgun does not FTE nor does my AR15. Never happened. If one weapon is lost or disabled I still have others. Kimber is used to save ammo. 2 to 1 scenerio.

[/QUOTE]We were just questioning the wisdom of your packing ammo for four firearms in that situation.[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom