• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many AR mags for SHTF?

I recently discovered the Survival sub forum here on NES and it got me thinking. Besides stocking up on food with long shelf lives, properly stored water, TP and all the other supplies and tools that would be essensial in a SHTF scenario...how many AR mags do you think is "enough"?

I understand the view of never having enough ammo for the unknown, but wonder about the pictures I've seen online of gun vaults stocked with 50 or 100 loaded AR mags. How many AR mags can one carry? Do they envision being in the shit, outside somewhere, and running home, popping open the safe/vault and grabbing 10 more without having time to load the mags?

Is it just a case of having enough to feel they'll never have to worry about worn out spring replacement, dented body replacement etc. and might as well keep there .223 ammo loaded in the mags? Do they envision handing out the loaded mags to friends, family and people of like mind they come to trust in such times? All questions posed here are serious and not meant to poke fun. I only have 5 AR mags and am wondering how many more to hunt down.

I just got my AR a few months ago, but I've come to the realization that I need to have all my ammo in mags, it just gives me a warm feeling when I open the safe. [smile][wink]Besides, I think they are easier to carry to the range and increases my shooting time instead of reloading. So I'd say about 50 to 1000 Mags is the right amount. [smile]

As many as you can afford, for now. I'd set a max out number though [wink]. I dont have an AR but I'm stocking up on xD mags as theyre interchangable between my subcompact and fullsize xD .40. Even if TEOTWAWKI never comes, at least it makes the range more fun, load 'em up on my own time, got 10 mags to shoot through before I have to start loading 'em up again... Just more time on the firing line, and easier for me to get some "muscle memory" going to build good habits. And then the nice chunk of time reloading the mags is enough to see if I "remember" what I just practiced...

Last edited:
Personally I dont understand how we can store mags without ammo in them???

I keep them loaded cause I'm SLOW... Lol it could take up to 5 minutes for me to load up a 30 round mag LOL.... Zombies will come at a much faster rate than I can load a mag ... I also live less than a mile from a cemetery, I will have to deal with the swarm quicker than most...

but I've come to the realization that I need to have all my ammo in mags,

Personally I dont understand how we can store mags without ammo in them???

I keep them loaded cause I'm SLOW... Lol it could take up to 5 minutes for me to load up a 30 round mag LOL.... Zombies will come at a much faster rate than I can load a mag ... I also live less than a mile from a cemetery, I will have to deal with the swarm quicker than most...

You'll have to get the word out to the rest of us then!!

10 for range use, 10 put away for SHTF, and 10 set aside for spares. That's the minimum, IMO. I've damaged a ton of mags over the years, they are a disposable item, the more you have, the better. Even for general range use.

All AR mags should be kept unloaded. The aluminum mags can (not always) bow out at the top and also the feed lips can bow out and crack if left loaded long enough. I've seen this happen a bunch of times.

If I was going to have to carry them, I would want 10. If I was planning on shooting it out with the zombies from my house, than possibly more. Gott figure, after 300 rounds you should either have killed most of everything thats close to you and if you didnt, well your probably f'ed.

There are LOTS and LOTS of dead people and animals that could be coming for us!!! Gotta keep the fight going!

If I was going to have to carry them, I would want 10. If I was planning on shooting it out with the zombies from my house, than possibly more. Gott figure, after 300 rounds you should either have killed most of everything thats close to you and if you didnt, well your probably f'ed.

I need enough to get to my BOL (where there are more waiting)! Hypothetically I mean.

Thats why god made wives! She can reload! lol

Would the zombies call the police if they did not have preban date stamp markings?
And kids... they can reload and shoot... [laugh]

5 out of 9 zombies recognize that many mags aren't dated and won't bother pressing the issue... The other are unpredictable, their actions are dictated by broader political motives, reason and logic cannot be expected...

Well, for training purposes that sounds like just the ticket, but I think we need to stay focused in real battle situations[laugh]

Yea, I guess so, I'll give that one to you. Boy would that be a fun day on the range though.... [smile]

I've got 11 30's 4 20's and a 10. I keep all of the 30's loaded except for 2 steel british ones that are still cosmo'ed. The others I use at the range and tend to store empty. Don't really know why [laugh]

I don't even own an AR, yet and I have 5 pre ban 30's. Figured I would buy them now so I don't have to later. I plan on starting the build soon.

10 for range use, 10 put away for SHTF, and 10 set aside for spares. That's the minimum, IMO. I've damaged a ton of mags over the years, they are a disposable item, the more you have, the better. Even for general range use.

All AR mags should be kept unloaded. The aluminum mags can (not always) bow out at the top and also the feed lips can bow out and crack if left loaded long enough. I've seen this happen a bunch of times.

That's one of the merits of going to PMAGs, they have a removable cap that takes the pressure off the lips.

Back
Top Bottom